100NL on Ignition - 10 hands into session vs 90%VPIP (1 Viewer)

ngmcs8203

Flush
Reaction score
I rarely get reads online this quickly, but this one felt weird. I wonder if it was just the line villain took. What do you guys think? Weird line, makes it a call or was this just a gut reaction and I probably should have folded?

Bovada / Ignition, Hold'em No Limit - $0.50/$1.00 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

Seat 1 (UTG): $133.73 (134 bb)
Seat 2 (MP): $110.99 (111 bb)
Hero (CO): $100.00 (100 bb)
Seat 4 (BU): $101.00 (101 bb)
Seat 5 (SB): $178.38 (178 bb)
Seat 6 (BB): $112.16 (112 bb)

Pre-Flop:
($2.50) Hero (Hero) is CO with 7 7
2 players fold, Hero (CO) raises to $2.50, 2 players fold, Seat 6 (BB) 3-bets to $4, Hero (CO) calls $1.50

Flop:
($8.50) J 4 4 (2 players)
Seat 6 (BB) checks, Hero (CO) bets $5.30, Seat 6 (BB) calls $5.30

Turn: ($19.10) A (2 players)
Seat 6 (BB) checks, Hero (CO) checks

River:
($19.10) 9 (2 players)
Seat 6 (BB) bets $22, Hero (CO) calls $22

It is a strange line. I expect to see JJ a lot. Flops the world and fears losing the fish. Could be villain is a wild & crazy lag, but I wouldn't want to be the guy who pays a big chunk of his stack to find out.

Maybe villain is taking a strange line to defend his blind? Allowing for a super wide 3-bet range out of position. The min-raise as the three bet isn't likely to get a fold.

What can Hero beat? KQ, QT, pairs less than seven, suited connectors. Not sure these hands make up enough of villain's range even under a blind defense. Let's keep in mind villain check/called the flop.

Hero's bet hope is villain is a LAGtard. Good luck with that, best wishes I smell a monster -=- DrStrange

PS My last chips into this pot would be the flop check/call. Not calling the river pot bet.

PPS After reflecting on my walk today, I guess villain's AA might be inclined to slow play that flop too.

Last edited:
I rarely get reads online this quickly, but this one felt weird. I wonder if it was just the line villain took. What do you guys think? Weird line, makes it a call or was this just a gut reaction and I probably should have folded?

Seat 1 (UTG): $133.73 (134 bb)
Seat 2 (MP): $110.99 (111 bb)
Hero (CO): $100.00 (100 bb)
Seat 4 (BU): $101.00 (101 bb)
Seat 5 (SB): $178.38 (178 bb)
Seat 6 (BB): $112.16 (112 bb)

Pre-Flop:
($2.50) Hero (Hero) is CO with 7 7
2 players fold, Hero (CO) raises to $2.50, 2 players fold, Seat 6 (BB) 3-bets to $4, Hero (CO) calls $1.50

Flop:
($8.50) J 4 4 (2 players)
Seat 6 (BB) checks, Hero (CO) bets $5.30, Seat 6 (BB) calls $5.30

Turn: ($19.10) A (2 players)
Seat 6 (BB) checks, Hero (CO) checks

River:
($19.10) 9 (2 players)
Seat 6 (BB) bets $22, Hero (CO) calls $22
Im betting the turn about half pot, then folding to a raise or that river bet. Just too weird as an overbet, definitely folding and looking for a better spot.

Hero's bet hope is villain is a LAGtard. Good luck with that, best wishes I smell a monster -=- DrStrange
It was pretty much my read. He showed one hand where he 3! and then proceeded to triple barrel 1/3 to 1/2 OOP with jack high on an A389K board.

I'm not up to speed on my theory, but your flop sizing seems pretty big for such a dry flop in a 3 bet pot. You are capped at TT in terms of one pair hands as presumably you 4 bet QQ+. Given the small 3 bet, you are going to have a ton of air here. So what are trying to say with the large flop size? Do you think villain is folding anything he was willing to 3 bet pre assuming he's hasn't been 3 betting every hand he vpiped?

It's weird. If you think the guy is just all kinds of crazy, then you can just hand play him. Bet smaller with your marginal made (possibly winning) hands, and bomb with you really good stuff.

I'm curious what you think he is bluffing with on river. His bet size is so big, you really only need to call with the top ~48% of your hands that get here. Is 77 really in that range? I think 10 hands is a bit premature to make to many assumptions, though min 3 betting is pretty telling.

I'm not up to speed on my theory, but your flop sizing seems pretty big for such a dry flop in a 3 bet pot. You are capped at TT in terms of one pair hands as presumably you 4 bet QQ+. Given the small 3 bet, you are going to have a ton of air here. So what are trying to say with the large flop size? Do you think villain is folding anything he was willing to 3 bet pre assuming he's hasn't been 3 betting every hand he vpiped?

It's weird. If you think the guy is just all kinds of crazy, then you can just hand play him. Bet smaller with your marginal made (possibly winning) hands, and bomb with you really good stuff.

I'm curious what you think he is bluffing with on river. His bet size is so big, you really only need to call with the top ~48% of your hands that get here. Is 77 really in that range? I think 10 hands is a bit premature to make to many assumptions, though min 3 betting is pretty telling.
The flop is like 75% check and 25% bet the weird bet sizing from him made me feel like he was just trying to get cute. I felt like if he had any Ax or pair 55+ he would have opened on the flop. His range at this point missed the flop IMHO. Maybe he has Kx suited, any two broadway cards. He didn’t strike me as someone who would miss an opportunity to bet with two pair. Maybe he has a 4 but a quick check to me when an Ace hits the turn gave me the ‘I’m done with this’ vibe.

If that’s the case and he wants to continue, I wanted to charge him. Seems like GTO Wizard likes the 25% turn bet size and SolverPlus likes a 66% size. Both would rather check though.

Just felt like my range at this point was stronger than his.

On the river, if he bet a fraction of the pot like 50% to 75% that would have screamed value bet to me, but 115% pot? The players that play 100% of hands don’t strike me as sophisticated enough to make an over bet for value play. Especially when it’s a quick action. Speedy actions never strikes me as strength.

I dunno it just felt weird.

Last edited:
How about this one? 3rd hand of the session:

Seat 3 (UTG): $86.60 (87 bb)
Seat 4 (MP): $100.00 (100 bb)
Seat 5 (CO): $217.95 (218 bb)
Hero (BU): $100.00 (100 bb)
Seat 1 (SB): $101.38 (101 bb)

Seat 2 (BB): $133.71 (134 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($1.50) Hero (Hero) is BTN with A K
3 players fold, Hero (BU) raises to $2.50, Seat 1 (SB) 3-bets to $11, 1 fold, Hero (BU) calls $8.50

Flop:
($23) 3 T 9 (2 players)
Seat 1 (SB) bets $7.21, Hero (BU) calls $7.21

Turn:
($37.42) K (2 players)
Seat 1 (SB) bets $22, Hero (BU) raises to $81.79 (all-in), Seat 1 (SB) calls $59.79

How about this one? 3rd hand of the session:

Seat 3 (UTG): $86.60 (87 bb)
Seat 4 (MP): $100.00 (100 bb)
Seat 5 (CO): $217.95 (218 bb)
Hero (BU): $100.00 (100 bb)
Seat 1 (SB): $101.38 (101 bb)

Seat 2 (BB): $133.71 (134 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($1.50) Hero (Hero) is BTN with A K
3 players fold, Hero (BU) raises to $2.50, Seat 1 (SB) 3-bets to $11, 1 fold, Hero (BU) calls $8.50

Flop:
($23) 3 T 9 (2 players)
Seat 1 (SB) bets $7.21, Hero (BU) calls $7.21

Turn:
($37.42) K (2 players)
Seat 1 (SB) bets $22, Hero (BU) raises to $81.79 (all-in), Seat 1 (SB) calls $59.79
Seems pretty standard if you don't 4 bet AK pre here. I could see just calling ask the way down too. You just run the rush of a club, Q, or J coming and killing the action a bit. Villain can def have QJs, 99, TT, and KTs, but what can you do? He can also have a lot of AcXc, KQ, KJ. Maybe these don't bet turn at 100% though.

I would 4 bet AK B vs SB nearly always. And call it off vs jam pre.

Seems pretty standard if you don't 4 bet AK pre here. I could see just calling ask the way down too. You just run the rush of a club, Q, or J coming and killing the action a bit. Villain can def have QJs, 99, TT, and KTs, but what can you do? He can also have a lot of AcXc, KQ, KJ. Maybe these don't bet turn at 100% though.

I would 4 bet AK B vs SB nearly always. And call it off vs jam pre.
V had JT clubs

V had JT clubs
I don't like his play. I'd be much less inclined to bet and face a jam with the pair in addition to the draw. I'd rather check/jam or try to realize. He's way ahead of so much of the stuff you call flop with. And he's blocking you from having a lot of the draws. When you jam, you are just so value heavy. He has certainly had the equity to call to call your jam, and I'm not saying him calling is incorrect. But it seems like a bad line on the turn.

I don't like his play. I'd be much less inclined to bet and face a jam with the pair in addition to the draw. I'd rather check/jam or try to realize. He's way ahead of so much of the stuff you call flop with. And he's blocking you from having a lot of the draws. When you jam, you are just so value heavy. He has certainly had the equity to call to call your jam, and I'm not saying him calling is incorrect. But it seems like a bad line on the turn.
I think from his perspective he thought he was ahead of my range but if he gave it even a split-second of thought, it is 100% a spewy call. Even a WIDE late positon 3! call is going to be a coinflip against. KK+, 99-JJ, 33, AQs+, A9s, A5s, QTs, 87s, AKo it is 49.5/49.5. Realistically? I am only shoving with KK+, 99, TT, AQs+ and maybe AKo with the ace of clubs. Against that range JTclubs is behind 60/40.

I think from his perspective he thought he was ahead of my range but if he gave it even a split-second of thought, it is 100% a spewy call. Even a WIDE late positon 3! call is going to be a coinflip against. KK+, 99-JJ, 33, AQs+, A9s, A5s, QTs, 87s, AKo it is 49.5/49.5. Realistically? I am only shoving with KK+, 99, TT, AQs+ and maybe AKo with the ace of clubs. Against that range JTclubs is behind 60/40.
It's not a spewy call once he makes the turn bet. You've both put $40 in, and you jammed for $60 more. He has to call $60 to win $140. He only needs 30% equity to call. Putting himself in that spot to begin with was bad though.

So you really ever have KK here in this configuration?

It's not a spewy call once he makes the turn bet. You've both put $40 in, and you jammed for $60 more. He has to call $60 to win $140. He only needs 30% equity to call. Putting himself in that spot to begin with was bad though.

So you really ever have KK here in this configuration?
Personally? I am only jamming with my best hands. Hands like JJ or QQ would call and evaluate the river. Maybe that's a leak of mine, but I tend to play more passive than most.

I think if he check-jams me on the turn, he gets me to fold. If he check-calls and then jams the river, he might get me to fold there too. I think he made the call to gamble. He ended up punting another 100BB in fewer than 10 hands. You're right though, he only needs 30% equity and against my tighter range is 40%, but sometimes even the gamblers make a "correct" call.

I'm not up to speed on my theory, but your flop sizing seems pretty big for such a dry flop in a 3 bet pot.
I was thinking about this on the drive home. I think this might have been the first sessiom in which I had enabled geometric bet sizing shortcuts in Jurojin. I could have just been clicking buttons in this hand.

Say what you will about the state of online poker, but as long as players like this are still pumping money into the economy, I will gladly play against bots scraping 2BB/100

Seat 3 (UTG): $105.70 (106 bb)
Seat 4 (MP): $169.84 (170 bb)
Seat 5 (CO): $37.50 (38 bb)
Seat 6 (BU): $37.20 (37 bb)
Seat 1 (SB): $106.89 (107 bb)
Hero (BB): $120.85 (121 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($1.50) Hero (Hero) is BB with 8 5
1 fold, Seat 4 (MP) raises to $3, Seat 5 (CO) calls $3, 1 fold, Seat 1 (SB) 3-bets to $15.50, Hero (BB) folds, 1 fold, Seat 5 (CO) 4-bets to $28, Seat 1 (SB) calls $12.50

Flop: ($60) 3 2 7 (2 players)
Seat 1 (SB) bets $57, Seat 5 (CO) calls $9.50 (all-in)

Turn: ($79) J (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($79) T (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $79 (Rake: $3.95)

Showdown:
Seat 1 (SB) shows A 5 (high card, Ace)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 67%, Flop: 87%, Turn: 93%, River: 100%)

Seat 5 (CO) shows K 4 (high card, King)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 33%, Flop: 13%, Turn: 7%, River: 0%)

Seat 1 (SB) wins $75.05

If I didn’t have to prep for my roadtrip I was going to sit my ass down at that table until the table went broke. It was so incredibly bad. 60%vpip with 0PFR or 85% vpip with 85% min-bet PFR. That dude with A5 had played one other hand in 25 minutes and debated folding to the 4bet. Used his entire time. I thought he was going to flip something like AQ or TT over.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom