The Walking Dead (2 Viewers)

...but hey, kim dickens amirite?

...and I heard the actress who played Joanie Stubbs was going to be one of the leads.

H0A3DiQ.gif

Last weekend I finished re-watching the entire series in anticipation for the spin-off & the new season. I hadn't watched a trailer for the spinoff before today, but it looks pretty good to me. I am a huge sucker for an 'origin' story though.

For me, the quality of the spinoff will depend largely on the acting. I am willing to overlook a great deal of inconsistency in the story as long as it's convincingly delivered.

FtWD has very little in connection with WD, in terms or creators/writers/directors. As such, I go into this as if it were just another zombie series - my anticipation is high, but so are my expectations.

FtWD has very little in connection with WD, in terms or creators/writers/directors.

i wouldn't quite say that. it was co-created by one of the creators of the walking dead and he co-wrote two of the six first season episodes of fear the walking dead.

I'm going into it with low expectations, especially given their sons atrocious acting in the trailer. But I fully expect that visually it will be stunning. Thought the co-lead husband there was Arabic or Indian/Pakistani but it appears he's from New Zealand. Still, cool to see a lead that isn't a white male.

I am looking forward to a new series, and I like the trailer so far... I too am keeping my skepticism in front so I wont be disappointed if it is just meh..

First three minutes of Episode One have been released if anyone is interested, doesn't really show much new, a lot of it is just filler scenes with the "big reveal" already seen in trailers.

My wife and I started watching the show a couple weeks ago (finally) after DVRing each season that AMC is running every Sunday. We got through seasons 1 and 2 so far with 4 episodes into season 3. Still have 44 more to watch once they have the 5th season this Sunday.........the show is a lot better than I expected. Once we get caught up before Oct 11th, then we need to start Game of Thrones. :)

My wife and I started watching the show a couple weeks ago (finally) after DVRing each season that AMC is running every Sunday. We got through seasons 1 and 2 so far with 4 episodes into season 3. Still have 44 more to watch once they have the 5th season this Sunday.........the show is a lot better than I expected. Once we get caught up before Oct 11th, then we need to start Game of Thrones. :)

Season 2 was one of the worse imo (Farm house season correct? )

Season 2 was one of the worse imo (Farm house season correct? )

Hey guys, we've gotta get this zombie out of our well while it's still alive so it doesn't poison the drinking water! Don't worry that it's already been down there leaking from its pus-filled sores into the drinking supply for the past couple of weeks!

5b926_walking-dead-well-walker.gif

Hey guys, we've gotta get this zombie out of our well while it's still alive so it doesn't poison the drinking water! Don't worry that it's already been down there leaking from its pus-filled sores into the drinking supply for the past couple of weeks!

5b926_walking-dead-well-walker.gif

TV shows are all going to do stupid shit either due to budget, moving the story along, or just plain laziness. I more hated S2 because it was damn boring.

They have 9 year olds head-shotting zombies with a pistol from 3 football fields away, doesn't anybody notice this?

tumblr_m2wsi684Tu1rq4no1o1_r1_400.gif

Watched the Fear premiere. Meh. Great cast but writing/pacing weren't impressive. Maybe ep 2 will pick it up.

Fell asleep during the episode, not a ringing endorsement. Will rewatch tomorrow.

Regards to casting: I have a hard time picturing some actors out of their most known (to-me) roles, the dad from this season I have a hard time picturing him not playing Pablo Escobar (from Blow with Johnny Depp) and mom I am picturing from Sons of Anarchy owning a whorehouse or as Matt Saracens mom in Friday Night Lights.

Really feel the end of the episode fell horribly flat. These two parents have just seen their kid run over another kid/zombie multiple times and their responses were just numb, no emotion, no freaking out, just kinda cold and detached and too accepting of the situation.

I found the writing bad. Really bad.

• Is the daugher some sort of ambivalent unfeeling bitch that thinks they should leave her worthless drugged out brother for dead, or is she the kind and loving sister that props her brother up to feed him Jell-O?
  • Pimple faced knife packing kid - Nerdy genius that forgot that metal detectors detect metal, or spaced out conspiracy theorist that forgot that metal detectors detect metal.
  • (While I'm on the steak-knife boy) Cops are seen outside the school, I suspect to make sure that kids don't bring weapons in. Shouldn't they be stationed near, I-dunno, the metal detectors?
  • Is this that special L.A. where a parent thinks they can roll into a drug den (at night) feeling secure that there won't be gang-thugs there to cap his straight-laced ass? Who supplies the drugs in "needle alley" if not one of the big gangs?
  • As mentioned, the pacing was slow - dragging on slow. I wouldn't mind if it was to create some great character development, but so far the characters in the extended-length premiere were all 2-dimensional, and quite frankly, all unlovable. I'm rooting for the zombies.
  • Ninja-dad (technically ninja step-dad, or ninja-live-in-boyfriend, I'm unclear) this man steps in 2 paces and rescues mom's arm in the fraction of a second it takes a biter to chomp on mom's arm. This is where the writing really irked me. You could have given mom a leather jacket or similar heavy durable fabric, then let the walker get in a non-penetrating bite before the ninja rescue. This would help the family confirm the "eating" the boy talked about before, give mom a nasty arm bruise she could rub as a bring-it-back-to-earth plot device, and make the double-run-down scene a little more believable.

Still, I'm hooked for the duration. It's 6 weeks (5 more to go), so I can tough it out a while longer. We will see if it gets better as the characters have more time to develop, or the plot begins to move along. So far the first 89 minutes was equal to the first 10 minutes of a movie. It has a lot of room to move up.

You guys are going to turn into me soon if you keep nitpicking. Where is your suspension of disbelief? I mean, you can all accept that 9 year olds can headshot zombies from three football fields away with a pistol with 100% accuracy in TWD..... :D

TWD has some writing issues, I'll admit (though the 9 year old *liked* the zombies and would never shoot them). Suspension of disbelief = actual zombies. Suspension of disbelief <> bad writing.

TWD has some writing issues, I'll admit (though the 9 year old *liked* the zombies and would never shoot them). Suspension of disbelief = actual zombies. Suspension of disbelief <> bad writing.
Its more likely a 9 year old would learn to shoot a gun than it is that these humans are dumb enough to continually leave the group when walking in the woods or split from their partners...or care enough about a candy bar or picture frame to risk being attacked by another zombie, thats the part I have a hard time suspending my disbelief.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom