Testing a forum member’s suggestion (1 Viewer)

Knipedrums

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Someone in a thread I was following suggested purchasing 1” sanding pad for dremel and using it to sand down a chip instead of milling. I purchased a few of these handy pads and am testing it on some cheap super diamonds. The super diamonds need some relief if I ever hope to label them. The chips feel amazing but labels will not stay unless they are mad or be smoother in the center.

unfortunately my dremel shit the bed and I need to get some new brushes.

I am also going to mill these down with my drill press to see which works better. Just after a few passes I can see that the dremel workstation will take many passes to get the label area smooth. But if that is all you have it will work.

i will continue to work on this side project for fun.

Thanks for all the ideas, this is a great forum. TK

Attachments

• BC027E43-1314-4EB8-BE42-44EFECC0AB34.jpeg
    BC027E43-1314-4EB8-BE42-44EFECC0AB34.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 70C8ABF2-50BF-45CE-BEFE-2FF261FB34BB.jpeg
    70C8ABF2-50BF-45CE-BEFE-2FF261FB34BB.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 155
  • ED39F921-ABE2-4690-A4A0-76186D12BABF.jpeg
    ED39F921-ABE2-4690-A4A0-76186D12BABF.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 155
I asked about this scenario some time ago. I was warned off by @Gear . I appreciate his experience. Went the undermount router method, worked well enough for me.
I can see one more milling project in my future.

The issue I see is uneven pressure where milling them would be more accurate. Since the super diamonds are cheap I am going to mill them and experiment more to see where it leads.
Other than uneven pressure, the sanding is a multi step process so that can be time consuming. At that point it would be more cost effective to mill them.
TK

The issue I see is uneven pressure where milling them would be more accurate. Since the super diamonds are cheap I am going to mill them and experiment more to see where it leads.
Other than uneven pressure, the sanding is a multi step process so that can be time consuming. At that point it would be more cost effective to mill them.
TK
Milling takes 3-4 seconds a chip, and it leaves the bottom not flat, but a slight curve for the label. I'd think sanding would just make it flat. Not sure the advantages of this.

Milling takes 3-4 seconds a chip, and it leaves the bottom not flat, but a slight curve for the label. I'd think sanding would just make it flat. Not sure the advantages of this.
I really don’t think there is an advantage, just trying a different way to recess the area got a label.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom