Table build - Rail size (1 Viewer)

Samoth311

Pair
Reaction score
Hey guys, doing my first table build. It will be an elliptical table, which is hard to find plans for. I have two questions:

1. I've read the discussion on rail size and decided based on the comments that I want a 5" rail. Is this the cut wood size, or the final measurement after the 1" padding is added (adding 2" total with padding over the back and front lip). I'd hate to assume 5" was the wood and end up with what most would consider a 7" rail.

2. My current table size for the ellipse is 92x45(major and minor axis) for 10 players. Most recommend 92x44 for a regular 10 person oval table. I'm wondering if, given the ellipse, I actually need a greater width (something like 92x47). Round tables are routinely 48" it seems. It's a small difference, but I just don't want everyone to be too cramped.

Thanks!

When you pull the vinyl over the rail padding it will draw in the padding, especially on the inside of the rail. I’d say if you pull it tight like it should be a 5” plywood rail covered with 1” pad will probably give you a total width of 6”-6 1/4”. My first two tables were 5” ply rails w 1” pad and I think it’s a good size. It’s enough width for a comfortable arm rest but slightly smaller for more table room. Honestly 5”-6” ply width is all I’d ever do.
And as far as increasing the size to give more room. I always go for the most room as long as it’s not gonna be a more difficult build. Nothing worse than a long session and being cramped between two people. GL

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom