First ellipse build (1 Viewer)

RagingAZN

Two Pair
Reaction score
Many years ago I made a standard oval shape table but I recently got the itch to build another one. After doing some research, we decided to go for an ellipse shape. We watched Youtube to figure out how to draw an ellipse and to be fair, it was spot on.

IMG_0383.jpeg

Once we had our lines, we got the jigsaw out and went at it. My friend (who is an architect) can cut much better than I!
IMG_0384.jpeg

Has to get the sander out to smooth my zigzag lines out but not too bad I think. Got the rail and lip done (we just free handed it!) Glued it and screwed it together.
IMG_0387.jpeg

25mm HD foam time! Our cuts weren’t all the same width around the rail which only become apparent when it was time to upholster the rail. The rail was the hardest part. Trying to get it all smooth was a real PITA but I don’t think we’ve done too badly.

IMG_0391.jpeg

2400mm x 1200mm with a 150mm wide rail (I don’t know what that is in US numbers ;))

I was contemplating getting a custom gaming suede from @T_Chan but I don’t think our table is worthy of a surface from him just yet. Perhaps on the next build!

Am tossing up between some velveteen and SSC for now. Just need the fabric, legs and we’re ready to go!

IMG_0392.jpeg

I am not very handy at all but with an extra pair of hands, you could easily do one in a day. Can definitely recommend giving it a go if its something you’ve been thinking about!

Awesome! When you do the fabric, will it be easy to replace or change?
I think we’ll just staple the fabric down for that verh reason as opposed to gluing it down as well.

Also for upholstering, get a hammer stapler, was so easy to use!

Got some suited speed cloth for this one. It was the cheap stuff from Amazon but turned out pretty good. Had to iron it out but got all the creases out and pulling it tight helped too.

IMG_0440.jpeg
IMG_0439.jpeg

We put the legs too close together so the table is quite wobbly. Will fix that up later but other than that, pretty happy with the end result.

Already looking forward to the next build. I think for next time, need to concentrate on the following points -

1) Cutting the foam for the rail evenly and equally as well as pulling evenly when stapling. My rail is a bit uneven in places.

2) Get a nice gaming cloth from @T_Chan. SSC is functional but so rough feeling.

3) Perhaps go for a hybrid oval/ellipse shape. I feel like the ends are a bit too pointed but will see how it plays with a full table later this week!

Last edited:
3) Perhaps go for a hybrid oval/ellipse shape. I feel like the ends are a bit too pointed but will see how it plays with a full table later this week!
What's a full table for you? My ellipse build is just a tad smaller than yours 90"x44" with a 6" rail. (2286mmX1066.8mm... 152mm rail) I fit 9 and shuffletech pretty easily. We've played 10 plus a spot for the shuffletech before and it was tight but doable.
20230624_153048.jpg

We're a pretty social game so we usually do 10 players easily. I'll find out this Friday how cozy it is but I'm guessing if it works for your dimensions, we should have more than enough space!
What's a full table for you? My ellipse build is just a tad smaller than yours 90"x44" with a 6" rail. (2286mmX1066.8mm... 152mm rail) I fit 9 and shuffletech pretty easily. We've played 10 plus a spot for the shuffletech before and it was tight but doable.
View attachment 1206424

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom