Sun-Fly Hybrid design concept, thoughts? (3 Viewers)

The only thing to watch out for is getting hacked with US import duties under 9903.88.15 (based on underlying code for chips 9504.90.9080).

I think I’m going to lose this battle with UPS on this one.

The only thing I’m not sure about is whether there is a threshold for when this kicks in. The group buy was a large order.

Why not use the 43mm with the larger recess (36mm I think) to get the oversized shaped inlay effect without printing across two materials.

sun fly has done matte inlays before too

Why not use the 43mm with the larger recess (36mm I think) to get the oversized shaped inlay effect without printing across two materials.

sun fly has done matte inlays before too
Larger recess could be used, but then you still have the issue of having to color matching the area of the label outside of the shape. I think the preferred chip by most here are the 43mm chips with the smaller 25mm inlay.

I heard that the 43mm with 36mm?? labels apparently don’t stack as well because of less surface area. Also they have a different sound when handling them.

Larger recess could be used, but then you still have the issue of having to color matching the area of the label outside of the shape. I think the preferred chip by most here are the 43mm chips with the smaller 25mm inlay.

Definitely.
I heard that the 43mm with 36mm?? labels apparently don’t stack as well because of less surface area. Also they have a different sound when handling them.

Could be. I really like mine they are only my high denoms so the stacks don’t get huge.

Correct. And the larger recess is 28.5mm, I think.

Just for fun, one more with a black stroke on the shape inlay area

View attachment 403178
Black stroke on the shapes looks better to my eye. Might make the white versions without circle lines look better, too.

Have you tried using the faux-shapes with clay-style spots (vs plastic-style)?

Black stroke on the shapes looks better to my eye. Might make the white versions without circle lines look better, too.

Have you tried using the faux-shapes with clay-style spots (vs plastic-style)?
Added clay style spots, where the shape overlays the spots
OP-test6.png

Adjusted the size of the spots and shapes so they don't overlap. Also tried them in white with black stroke
OP-test7.png

Also tried it without the black circle. I can't increase the label since it is a fixed recessed area and I would have to check with Sun-Fly if I could make the shape any smaller, make sure it isn't too close the recessed edge.

OP-test8.png

I just double checked my files, Looks like its 31.5mm for this style.
Sun-Fly's web site states 31.7mm sticker diameter for the 43mm blank, but it may be the actual recess size. 28.5 mm is the larger recess size for 39mm chips.

Added clay style spots, where the shape overlays the spots
View attachment 403285

Adjusted the size of the spots and shapes so they don't overlap. Also tried them in white with black stroke
View attachment 403289

Also tried it without the black circle. I can't increase the label since it is a fixed recessed area and I would have to check with Sun-Fly if I could make the shape any smaller, make sure it isn't too close the recessed edge.

View attachment 403290
Although I generally prefer BJ-style spots on hybrids, I think the clay spot patterns look better with the shaped inlay images.

Sun-Fly's web site states 31.7mm sticker diameter for the 43mm blank, but it may be the actual recess size. 28.5 mm is the larger recess size for 39mm chips.
That sounds right. Yep I was referring to the 43mm size recess. It was actually 31.7 in my file but I figured that couldn't have been right and rounded to 31.5

Nice job here Steve! Loving the progress. I personally like this version where the “label” doesn’t overlap the spots. But I really like the western feel of the tan/weathered looking labels.

6AB5B9D0-3A33-4798-9102-69F22981C242.jpeg

I have to say I preferred the unique spot pattern of the first draft. To me it’s taking advantage of the opportunity to not have to use a punch out for the spot. Embrace the creativity.

These are getting really good. Love the revised edge spot patterns. I’m still a fan of the black inlays, especially on a gray Hundo, but that’s just one man’s opinion. The tan inlays were cool too... reminiscent of an old wanted poster, which really sells the theme. It’s all dope. Nice project.

I like the clay spots better. Not sure if I like the white or tan inlay better. But like the theme and the circle

I like this Idea a lot. I prefer with black labels.
So the very first version.
PolyClay would be a better platform compared to PolyInno for faux-shaped inlay in my opinion.
Exemple :
IMG_20200117_165219.jpg.a39012f54fa1df43754e10ce5ee135ae.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom