So it begins aka poker chip making quest (3 Viewers)

Attention attention update:

I have figured out a way to flatten the center of the chips:

View attachment 737318

This is a 1" stamping blank

I place one of these babies on each side of the chip in my hydraulic heated press, like so:

View attachment 737319

Then press it for about a minute at a reasonable temp:
View attachment 737320

Then it comes out flattened and smooth in the middle:

View attachment 737322

Then you can stamp!

View attachment 737323
Thats epic!

Side question. Can you or have you flattened barrels / racks of chips using that press?

My only concern with this method on a barrel or rack is that each chip would need a spacer, otherwise the hat and cane in the mold can mirror onto other chips.
58DA0ECF-A547-4E22-9448-00D37723E7DF.jpeg

Even using ceramic blanks as spacers, beware that too much pressure over the whole chip can alter the shape. Even using a hand clamp, I’ve had to be careful to only use just enough pressure to hold them in the clamp. Any more is unnecessary and can cause damage.

Love your flattening solution for the center recess!

My only concern with this method on a barrel or rack is that each chip would need a spacer, otherwise the hat and cane in the mold can mirror onto other chips.
View attachment 737364
Even using ceramic blanks as spacers, beware that too much pressure over the whole chip can alter the shape. Even using a hand clamp, I’ve had to be careful to only use just enough pressure to hold them in the clamp. Any more is unnecessary and can cause damage.

Love your flattening solution for the center recess!
id imagine each chip would be laid flat on the press and not as a stack in the press to allow some heat to be transferred. Thats why a metal spacer was used previously to allow heat to be conducted from the press to the spacer and the spacer to the chip.

id imagine each chip would be laid flat on the press and not as a stack in the press to allow some heat to be transferred. Thats why a metal spacer was used previously to allow heat to be conducted from the press to the spacer and the spacer to the chip.
Oh, I guess I misunderstood...I thought there was a question that this could be done as a barrel at a time. Was that meant as each chip laid out separately, next to each other?

Attention attention update:

I have figured out a way to flatten the center of the chips:

View attachment 737318

This is a 1" stamping blank

I place one of these babies on each side of the chip in my hydraulic heated press, like so:

View attachment 737319

Then press it for about a minute at a reasonable temp:
View attachment 737320

Then it comes out flattened and smooth in the middle:

View attachment 737322

Then you can stamp!

View attachment 737323

This may solve the stamping issue with the small crown mould. @AK Chip

This may solve the stamping issue with the small crown mould. @AK Chip
Probably leave an impression where the spacers were if it’s smaller than the diameter. If it’s larger or the same diameter then you will have to deform the chip somewhere to move mass to the middle. It’s concave on both sides, which means material isnt just pushed to one side or another it’s concentrated in the edges and there’s a dimple in the center of both sides of the chip.
I think for some reason or another some of the shrinkage ingredients are omitted from scrowns. They would benefit greatly in two ways by some addition of this. Lead compounds were great for this purpose but there are other alternatives.

This is some incredible work, reconstructing the process from the ground up. Don't discount all the time and materials you're using for development when you start marketing your services! :LOL: :laugh:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom