Smoothing chips (1 Viewer)

ThickLog

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Bought these chips for 150 CAD. Is it normal for this type of quality at this price range? I've been rubbing the edges on the cloth to slowly smooth out the edges. Is there any way to do this more efficiently without destroying the plastic?

I tried using a sanding sponge, but it scratched the chip all over leaving white marks. If someone knows a better way to do this, please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG20240304222057.jpg
    IMG20240304222057.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG20240304222105.jpg
    IMG20240304222105.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG20240304222609.jpg
    IMG20240304222609.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 111
You overpaid by 10 fold plus you should never use sanding sponge on plastic.

Use cloth for cleaning glasses.

Barrel of CAD 150 should get a cheap rack of RHC like Diamond Jacks $5 or 3 barrels of live Vegas $1s

Not sure how many chips you ended up getting for that price. But with those kinds of chips unfortunately it does seem pretty common to have flashing on the edges like that. Before I lucked into my Tina set I got some samples of different cheap sluggos and several had the flashing on the edges like that and others have reported the same.

You overpaid by 10 fold plus you should never use sanding sponge on plastic.

Use cloth for cleaning glasses.

Barrel of CAD 150 should get a cheap rack of RHC like Diamond Jacks $5 or 3 barrels of live Vegas $1s
Oops sorry I forgot to mention it was a chip set of 500 chips, so I'm guessing that makes the price not that bad? (hopefully)
I kinda rushed into buying the set because I wanted to host games that same week, but now im thinking it might have been a better choice to invest more seeing how low quality this set is

Do you think it's better to get china clays to up the experience or would it be better to just wait and save up for something really high quality like paulsons?
How big of a difference is it for the experience of each upgrade?

Thank you Ill keep slowly polishing them with the cloth

Bought these chips for 150 CAD. Is it normal for this type of quality at this price range? I've been rubbing the edges on the cloth to slowly smooth out the edges. Is there any way to do this more efficiently without destroying the plastic?

I tried using a sanding sponge, but it scratched the chip all over leaving white marks. If someone knows a better way to do this, please let me know.
For one... your user name and profile pic are absolutely Epic!

What folks are trying to say is these are slugged plastic and should run about $.20 USD per chip.... current exchange rate is $.74 so about $111 USD should have yielded a 500 chip set, they're hoping you didn't get ripped off!

I own the series before these Monte Carlos and the edges were much better
20210401_085541.jpg

I did order some of the series you have from Alibaba back about 6 years ago just to try them out and the edges were terrible and the chips were the most slippery I have ever seen. Almost impossible to stack 20 high without them falling over. I hope they changed the composition or atleast added some texture to the surface, but from seeing those edges... they look the same.

2000 grit sand paper around the edges and on the faces consistently will make tiny scratches but unfortunately kinda necessary if you want to use these, the surface is too smooth from the factory.

If you can I suggest grabbing some Tina samples from folks on here, the Greek mold, no mold Hybrids, web mold. I would stay away from the Cards Molds... but there are some pretty decent chips for around $.40 each that should hold up and serve your game better than the ones you have. Unfortunately even if you sand them down and give them a bit of texture, it is going to wear back down to flat quickly with any type of regular use.

People here have spent thousands on chip designs they weren't happy with, a $150 lesson sucks and they will do their job, they are better than dice chips... just not a lot better.

Also if you spend some time on here you will learn about denoms and which ones are most useful.... typically for cash we use $.25/$1/$5/$25/$100 and for tourney T25, T100, T500, T1000, T5000. Some custom sets people go with $.50/$2/$10/$50 but generally we don't use a "50" denom... not saying it's wrong, just a normal mistake by new buyers. They want more chips in more colors and when you start playing you realize having extra denoms in play winds up taking more time for chop pots, calculating all in's and pay out time while the game is still running.

May seem like man... these guys are brutal on here. But really just trying to help as we have seen many make the same choices and just try to help steer in the right direction. No one is saying buy a $5,000 leaded THC set, but lots of resonable options fir under a dollar a chip out there!

Best of luck with your chipping journey Thicklog and may Canadian underwear companies be ever up to the task of containg such a threat from being released into the wild!!

Always around if you ever need assistance.

Fellow Chipper
Ben

Not sure how many chips you ended up getting for that price. But with those kinds of chips unfortunately it does seem pretty common to have flashing on the edges like that. Before I lucked into my Tina set I got some samples of different cheap sluggos and several had the flashing on the edges like that and others have reported the same.
Ah ok good to know it's common, so im not getting completely ripped off

Just for future reference on pricing, how much did u spend for the Tina set and for how many chips?

Ah ok good to know it's common, so im not getting completely ripped off

Just for future reference on pricing, how much did u spend for the Tina set and for how many chips?
I got mine second hand from another member on here and he absolutely gave me a deal on them. They are used cards mold (which in light of the newer hybrid molds *web mold * and the Greek mold, the cards molds seem to be considered inferior but I love these chips. I spent around $120 for ~1500 chips. You could definitely search the classifieds here and find a deal on some used tina ceramics probably even a set of the Greek molds, or get in on the group buy for the Greek/web mold. Could always order directly from Tina as well, lots of options for decent budget chips!

If you can I suggest grabbing some Tina samples from folks on here, the Greek mold, no mold Hybrids, web mold. I would stay away from the Cards Molds...
Could you elaborate a bit on why the greek, no mold hybrid or web molds, and why stay away from card molds?

I've been considering joining the group buy, but (this seems to be an unpopular opinion) I don't like the way the greek, no mold, and web molds look. The only one I favored out of the options was the card mold. So my question is, is there something I should know or reasons for that opinion?

Could you elaborate a bit on why the greek, no mold hybrid or web molds, and why stay away from card molds?

I've been considering joining the group buy, but (this seems to be an unpopular opinion) I don't like the way the greek, no mold, and web molds look. The only one I favored out of the options was the card mold. So my question is, is there something I should know or reasons for that opinion?
You'll get spinners with card molds.

If that doesn't bother you like it doesn't bother me, they are a great deal, if you ask me.

the chips were the most slippery I have ever seen. Almost impossible to stack 20 high without them falling over.
From what I can tell they stack alright, but I also have no experience with higher end chips. Never felt like stacking the chips were an issue which is good. The face definitely has no texture though.
If you can I suggest grabbing some Tina samples from folks on here, the Greek mold, no mold Hybrids, web mold. I would stay away from the Cards Molds... but there are some pretty decent chips for around $.40 each that should hold up and serve your game better than the ones you have. Unfortunately even if you sand them down and give them a bit of texture, it is going to wear back down to flat quickly with any type of regular use.
Yeah I will definitely look into Tina chips. Wish I had heard about them earlier but it is wt it is. Is texture that important to where you would want to keep roughing them up? Is it only for the stacking aspect or is there more to it?
Also if you spend some time on here you will learn about denoms and which ones are most useful.... typically for cash we use $.25/$1/$5/$25/$100 and for tourney T25, T100, T500, T1000, T5000. Some custom sets people go with $.50/$2/$10/$50 but generally we don't use a "50" denom... not saying it's wrong, just a normal mistake by new buyers. They want more chips in more colors and when you start playing you realize having extra denoms in play winds up taking more time for chop pots, calculating all in's and pay out time while the game is still running.
I might be a unique case in the aspect that I wanted the flexibility of being able to use the chips for different currencies and what not. Could you give me insight on why tournament chips and cash chips should be different? But yeah it's hard to find chips that have denoms without the currency sign.
your user name and profile pic are absolutely Epic!
Hahaha thank you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom