Are Boomtown 5's leaded? (2 Viewers)

pipdenny

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 racks of radiant boomtown 5’s. Unfortunately they each have sharpie marks on the rolling edges.
I tried with a magic eraser but it’s not getting enough off. I experimented with different grits of sandpaper (scary) and decided that 7000 grit was juuust enough to get most of it off.

My question is, are these chips leaded? No scale on hand here to check. Do I need to wear a respirator or something while sanding these? I’m being pretty delicate and only sanding the small spot where the marks are. Do I need to be careful with the dust on my hands? Will washing my hands after suffice to get any lead off? Am I overthinking this?
I have an infant at home so I want to be careful.

IMG_5169.jpeg

Last edited:
You will be fine. If you are truly worried, nitrile gloves, lab coat, safety glasses and a n95 mask in an outdoor environment will do. This is the usual procedure for respiratory-sensitive chemicals.

Last edited:
Those came out great! What grit did you use? I worry about taking too much material off the chip and making a flat spot on the edge. Did you experience that?
The 7000 grit is a bit tedious, maybe I can up that grit for a quicker and more thorough job if the chippies with survive.

Thanks for your post!

Edit: spelling
I just used the 3M purple block I had on my bench, and did a final touch up with finer stuff. Don’t remember the grit.

Black mark gone, chips look perfect, no flat spot

I just used the 3M purple block I had on my bench, and did a final touch up with finer stuff. Don’t remember the grit.

Black mark gone, chips look perfect, no flat spot

Were the marks on your chips sharpie too? Did you attempt to get any marks off the chip face as well? Many of mine have the marks just creeping up onto the face, but I may just leave those as is.

Thanks again!

Were the marks on your chips sharpie too? Did you attempt to get any marks off the chip face as well? Many of mine have the marks just creeping up onto the face, but I may just leave those as is.

Thanks again!
I think it’s like a paint marker or something. Not too sure. Just get after it and take your time.

I sipped a drink in a rocking chair and just widdled away at a rack. Eventually they all looked great :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom