Ceramic chips: Do any of them stand on edge? (3 Viewers)

KingZilla

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Just perusing the forum and seeing ads for the Chinese made ceramic chips. In the stack or rack pictures, I notice some of the edges appear to be flat.
I've had chipcos in the past but I never tried to see if any could stand on edge. I broke out one of my BRpro customs and sure enough, there is no way it will stand alone on the chip edge. Now I am fully aware of the manufacturing method for making this type of chip so it leads me to think NO ceramic will ever stand on edge. I have an order for the China ceramics but have never owned any (yet).

So: Does anyone have a ceramic chip that stands on edge?

Why does this matter? - I don't know
Should this matter? - Probably not
Why do I bring this up?- Because it's Poker Chip Forum :wtf:

I don't think I've ever read this listed as a difference between ceramic and clay. It's just one of those characteristics that separate the two and I've never really thought about that until now.

ABC used to have blanks that stood on edge (I had a set of their donkey rebuy chips that did so).

My Chinese 39mm hybrid samples stand on edge, too.

BrPro still offers Chipco blanks that as far as I know stand on edge.
Yes, but they aren’t the same as the old sharp edge
1689954383603.png

1689954412542.png

Attachments

• 1689954298858.png
    1689954298858.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Thanks for the replies. This is interesting and I'm actually happy to find out that the china ceramics I have on order may stand on edge. I have players that will try to stand a chip on edge on top of one of their stacks. If the chip doesn't stand on edge, they protest! :LOL: :laugh:
My BRpro chips do not stand on edge but I didn't know that they had more than one blank to print on. I just ordered a small run without knowing there was an option. I am also kind of surprised that any ceramic would stand on edge due to manufacturing method. I guess it depends on the whether the injection "mold" is made to include flat edges. Those Regency chips (above) really seem to have a very square, flat edge. As I mentioned in the OP, I've had chipco sets in and out of here but never tried to stand one on edge. IIRC they didn't seem like they would.

May I ask do you have a complete set?
no, I just have that sample set plus a few more. I think I have all of the 39mm chips.
And it’s for sale for cheap if anybody wants it, because I don’t collect sample sets and have no idea why I own these.

I will order at brpro a custom set printed on standard 43mm ceramics soon. They don't stand on edge. But I personally do not care.
Regarding clay chips a chip that stand on edge is in general in a better condition than a chip that does not but this is not a characteristic that can be applied with ceramics.

So what do upu like about ceramics that can stand on edge? Just the fact that they can stand on edge? The feel? Look?

I will order at brpro a custom set printed on standard 43mm ceramics soon. They don't stand on edge. But I personally do not care.
Regarding clay chips a chip that stand on edge is in general in a better condition than a chip that does not but this is not a characteristic that can be applied with ceramics.

So what do upu like about ceramics that can stand on edge? Just the fact that they can stand on edge? The feel? Look?
Good question. As I stated in the OP: Should this matter?
I personally prefer the look of flat edges in stacks but as long as they're not "bicycle tires" it doesn't really bother me. Just noticed that this is one difference (among many) between ceramic and clay and I never really thought about that particular thing before.

The whole "stand on edge" criteria really only applies to clay chips, since they are molded to have a fairly sharp edge and have poorer durability due to material composition. It's just one of the criteria used to determine wear from usage.

The same criteria don't apply as well to a lot of ceramics and plastics, since some of them are designed with bevels in the first place.

I'm not a shuffler, but from what I read of opinions the best shuffle stack is a clay that has slightly (or well) broken in edges as well as the chalky heaviness of leaded clay.

I miss Chipco's! Not just for their sharp edge, but, the great color saturation they had. BR Pro, by their own admission, can't print like Chipco did.

Did they by any chance tell you when they're planning to get this printer up and running? If not, I think I'll email and ask.

More vibrant colors would be very tempting.
The new printer is working. Kristil send me new pics of the prototypes.

Left side old printer and on the right side the new printer. (Note that my design hasn't colors with a 100% saturation. For instance the design of the T100 chip base color is not black but a dark gray.)
The new printer is much better in my opinion.

25_oldnewprinter.jpg

100_oldnewprinter.jpg

500_oldnewprinter.jpg

I have some ceramics from br pro and can confirm that they don't stand on edge.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom