Shuffling on a topper (1 Viewer)

xdukeluvax

Two Pair
Reaction score
353258A5-C0F6-4064-B11E-B019B58F595C.jpeg

So my buddy has one of these and we played on it at our last game but it was nearly impossible to shuffle on this mat without sliding the cards off the edge and picking them up which is very slow and annoying…
So i just bought some toppers which im excited for but wonder if i will have the same problem…. Iv never had a topper and was hoping someone with experience and calm my worry. Thanks

Someone else who purchased one of my toppers should validate this bc I realize I lack credibility (conflict of interest) as the seller, but you won't have the same issue with my table toppers as you do with the slow play mat (I've used that same mat personally in the past) bc my toppers are 5mm thick.

Someone else who purchased one of my toppers should validate this bc I realize I lack credibility (conflict of interest) as the seller, but you won't have the same issue with my table toppers as you do with the slow play mat (I've used that same mat personally in the past) bc my toppers are 5mm thick.
What a relief!!
It was a nightmare on that black mat. So what thickness causes the issue? And it that the only factor?

Most of the time when I've used the new toppers it's been on top of a Barrington which has extra padding under it, so I can't speak to that. Should have a game tonight with just the topper though so I can report back on shuffling with a hard table under it tomorrow.

Most of the time when I've used the new toppers it's been on top of a Barrington which has extra padding under it, so I can't speak to that. Should have a game tonight with just the topper though so I can report back on shuffling with a hard table under it tomorrow.
Actually my topper is going on my barrington so your experience is exactly what im looking for

but it was nearly impossible to shuffle on this mat without sliding the cards off the edge and picking them up which is very slow and annoying
If I'm interpreting this correctly it sounds like maybe the problem is little to no foam padding underneath(?) where people can't get their fingers/fingernails under the cards to lift them up(?). Most toppers have some foam 'give' to them.

You could try getting some thin foam or other material that rolls up to put under the topper. IIRC, there was an online auto shop that sold auto headliner foam that I think people used to use for building their own poker tables.

If I'm interpreting this correctly it sounds like maybe the problem is little to no foam padding underneath(?) where people can't get their fingers/fingernails under the cards to lift them up(?). Most toppers have some foam 'give' to them.

You could try getting some thin foam or other material that rolls up to put under the topper. IIRC, there was an online auto shop that sold auto headliner foam that I think people used to use for building their own poker tables.
Well my topper is going on top of my barrington which people are saying that should fix it. This mat we used was on top of a wooden table which i guess was the issue. I didnt consider that what was under the mat could be the real issue

You could add a thin layer of closed cell foam or even felt or any plush fabric on the back to add a little more. Just cut it to size and use spray adhesive. Test first of course before adhering…

I recently bought that mat and haven't used it yet, so upon seeing your thread I unrolled it to test the shuffling experience. You were not being hyperbolic when you said it's nearly impossible to do without sliding!

However, I then placed a piece of 1/4" packing foam underneath my shuffle area and it was night and day. It went from being nearly impossible to effortless and enjoyable. I'm actually shocked by the contrast.

I'm glad because it's a nice mat. They should just ship some foam with it or at least disclose that it is incomplete without some.

I recently bought that mat and haven't used it yet, so upon seeing your thread I unrolled it to test the shuffling experience. You were not being hyperbolic when you said it's nearly impossible to do without sliding!

However, I then placed a piece of 1/4" packing foam underneath my shuffle area and it was night and day. It went from being nearly impossible to effortless and enjoyable. I'm actually shocked by the contrast.

I'm glad because it's a nice mat. They should just ship some foam with it or at least disclose that it is incomplete without some.
Oh wow glad to hear that. Definitely going to buy some foam for the next time we use it. Thanks!

Oh wow glad to hear that. Definitely going to buy some foam for the next time we use it. Thanks!
We played tonight with one layer of this shelf liner underneath the mat because it was the only foam-like thing at the hardware store, but it worked so well and is so inexpensive that I am going to get enough for a second layer. We totally forgot about the issue that you and I observed. As a bonus, the grip material keeps the mat in place.

I'm sure there are other materials that work as well or better, but all of my other ideas were bulkier and/or more expensive.

Attachments

• liner1.jpeg
    liner1.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 48
  • liner2.jpeg
    liner2.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 50

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom