Show off your Lawn! (2 Viewers)

Took this yesterday.

Attachments

• EE822CCD-D43C-4C42-B468-B33D4817E169.jpeg
    EE822CCD-D43C-4C42-B468-B33D4817E169.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 157
Here's a picture to make everyone feel better about the state of their lawns. My front "lawn" is really just a strip of grass between driveways. This is the back of the house. North facing and heavy tree cover = no sun for growing grass. My neighbor keeps trying though (his is the patch of green behind the rock line).

What you can't appreciate is the 4 feet drop down a few feet from the deck 4x4s. I'm not sure where exactly the property line is but the rest of what is visible is designated game land as well as a flood plane with a creek running through it. Very happy to be in the middle of a city and have green space that won't be developed.

View attachment 460594
Love the drain pipe. I find myself with the urge you shout "Shitters Full".

I wish I had a nice yard like some of y'all! My goodness! Beautiful!

I'm just one of the losers. I don't give a rats ass about my lawn. Couldn't be bothered to mow it sometimes. City bylaws allow 18" of growth before somebody from the neighborhood can report it.

Here it goes ..

The front...
IMG_20200518_194737.jpg

The Rear...
IMG_20200518_195205.jpg
IMG_20200518_195144.jpg

I don't mow at all, and it's pretty nice. We're on a cul-de-sac, so our front yard is a tiny triangle. I added some landscaping and reduced our front grass to a strip about 2' wide by 50' long. My neighbor just mows it with her side of the grass. Win.

In the back we have a little flat strip that is about 15' wide max. My son mows that now for his allowance. Win #2.

My side yards are sloped (ranch with a walk-out) and totally covered in rocks. Win #3.

The rest of my backyard is as steep as a ski slope, and I've given up on mowing. I try to keep the weeds at bay and just let the grass grow. My neighbors hire a guy to mow their backyard once a year, and he did our yard too for the previous homeowner. The price was like $300 to mow one time (and this was like 13 years ago), so I said no thanks. I actually bought a self-propelled mower and tried to mow it myself for one year, but it was so steep that it was impossible. The mower was carbureted and the hill is so steep that it would stall from the angle and/or flip over and try to roll down the hill if I went sideways. So I planted a bunch of trees and I'm waiting for them to take over my hillside.

Earning his keep (you can see the tall grass on the top of the hill behind him. The line of rocks is the top of a 3' to 4' tall retaining wall, so that grass is pretty tall.):
IMG_20180826_133212702.jpg

ok, believe me there is more work coming. Particularly with regard to landscaping. I need 2 to 3 more years!! Landscaping will be nice and lawn WILL be LUSH!

edges will be done tomorrow -- I'm pooped -- over worked myself today.

20200520_195716.jpg

20200520_195658.jpg

20200520_195609.jpg

20200520_195547.jpg

....and if you are wondering if that is a plant growing out of the middle of that boulder....you would be CORRECT. It has been there for over 5 years without any help. Wish my lawn could do the same....!!!

...and if you are wondering if that is a plant growing out of the middle of that boulder....you would be CORRECT. It has been there for over 5 years without any help. Wish my lawn could do the same....!!!

My nephew recently saw a little pine or fir (can't recall which) growing out of a boulder in Wisconsin. If your baby tree grows up, its roots will eventually crack that boulder wide open. Trees may be slow but when they grow up, they're very strong!

Looking at all these beautiful massive lawns make me wanna GTFOH California. :mad: :banghead:
Don't do it man! Just put some grass in that nice big back yard you've got. Mine, on the other hand, is going to be nothing but concrete... the wifey has grown weary our tropical rainforest of weeds. Just waiting on the ole HOA approval and we'll get er done.

20200424_153945.jpg
20200424_153928.jpg

By the way, for those who don't live in Southern California, this is actually one of the biggest yards in our neighborhood... LMAO! Didn't mean to agree with you @horseshoez. I'd rather we both stick around (and yes--also have bigger yards).

This stuff is awesome, it’s expensive but worth it. I can go 3 mo before I need another application. The cheap stuff like ScottsTurf last for only a month. This stuff has slow release capsules
View attachment 460649
@davin, I like that you take pride in keeping your stuff in good shape. Whether its poker chips or blades of grass, you have it dialed in to look nice and pretty.

Be prepared... by next weekend the whole town will be over trying to get in!! All you need is a couple one pound boxes of 2 1/2" or 3" nails, a hammer, one of those beautiful stumps in your yard and of course alcohol even though it is not actually a dri king game... but we turn it into that as well. Absolute blast except sometimes @FordPickup92 winds up bleeding on the hammer!

Each player stands around the stump, drive one nail just enough to start them per player, each person call out or mark your nail (we use a sharpie) does not have to be the nail directly in front of you.

Throw the hammer spinning it in the air, which ever person the butt of the hammer is pointing at goes first. Without any aiming flip the hammer in the air. One complete rotation, however you catch the hammer you hit someone else's nail... no adjustment may be made, and almost everyone at first will adjust, a double flip and catch is 2 hits. Continue until last person is standing with their nail not fully driven.

If a finger nail can catch the lip of the nail it is still in play.

No limit of players (we have had 25+ nails in the stump at one time)

You dont need to chop a tree in the yard! Find a local Fire wood company and ask for a log roughly 14 - 18" in diameter about waist height.

How is drinking involved??
1) When eliminated, you must shotgun a beer before the next round.

2) get plastic shot glasses, fill with a shot in each one and one per player. Put them all in the center of the log, as eliminated you must take a shot, but if you hit a shot or knock one off the log you must take half of the remaining shots before game can continue!

Make sure you throw a spot light over the log ahead of time... this will go late into the evening! Also do not invite any true carpenters... many can double flip a hammer and drive a nail completely with a double hit... sounds cool but it's annoying as F*#k!

Last hint... wear nice under wear... not sure why but many times my group gets any too drunk and we all wind up in our underwear throwing hammers. Bad mental image... should have left that part out! Lmao

Give it a try, definitely a red neck game but haven't found anyone in 5 plus years that doesnt like Stump!!

I love stump. I have one friend who is not the finest athlet though who would spin the hammer and it would go flying - that evening was a dangerous night!

Back yard. Having work done today. Drainage installed, leveling, and new sod. Currently have three types of grass (and weeds) growing. Will post after pics later.
20200521_082825.jpg

20200515_152311.jpg
20200515_152113.jpg
20200515_152211.jpg

Don't do it man! Just put some grass in that nice big back yard you've got. Mine, on the other hand, is going to be nothing but concrete... the wifey has grown weary our tropical rainforest of weeds. Just waiting on the ole HOA approval and we'll get er done.

View attachment 462935View attachment 462936

By the way, for those who don't live in Southern California, this is actually one of the biggest yards in our neighborhood... LMAO! Didn't mean to agree with you @horseshoez. I'd rather we both stick around (and yes--also have bigger yards).

Likewise, option 1 and the better of them would be to stay put. I’m looking forward to seeing the finished product. Hopefully we can celebrate when it’s completed with some good food, drinks and let’s not forget...poker!!!

Need to bite the bullet and hire true green to get my lawn in shape. It has potential to be great if treated properly.

View attachment 463031View attachment 463032

Do you have any other local companies? Tru Green is notorious for spray and pray. My first question to a company doing fertilizing would be do you take a soil test.

But yes that lawn has fantastic possibilities for dominating the neighborhood!

Need to bite the bullet and hire true green to get my lawn in shape. It has potential to be great if treated properly.

Don't use TrueGreen. Ask the neighbors and find a local company or better yet, buy a spreader and get some Milorganite and apply 4 times a year...(roughly Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day and Thanksgiving). They put the schedule on the bag, that's about as simple as it gets. The big advantage with Milorganite or something similar is you can't really screw it up and burn your lawn if you put too much down...they call it idiot proof. :tdown:

Now, it can get much more complicated then that, but doing that 4 times a year will make a huge difference on your lawn if you don't currently apply any fertilizer. Oh yeah, mow higher and a little more often.

Feel free to PM with specific questions or recommendations. I've helped a few neighbors get off their lawn company and doing their own and you can keep it simple, or catch the bug and really get into it. :)

Last edited:
Don't use TrueGreen. Ask the neighbors and find a local company or better yet, buy a spreader and get some Milorganite and apply 4 times a year...(roughly Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day and Thanksgiving). They put the schedule on the bag, that's about as simple as it gets. The big advantage with Milorganite or something similar is you can't really screw it up and burn your lawn if you put too much down...they call it idiot proof. :tdown:

Now, it can get much more complicated then that, but doing that 4 times a year will make a huge difference on your lawn if you don't currently do anything. Oh yeah, and mow higher and a little more often.

Feel free to PM with specific questions or recommendations. I've helped a few neighbors get off their lawn company and doing their own and you can keep it simple, or catch the bug and really get into it. :)

my lawn guys cut at a perfect height. My issue is a ton of weeds and clover. I’m figuring the lawn company will do better than me at killing the weeds and once the yard is triaged I can take over with milorgamite.

Now, it can get much more complicated then that, but doing that 4 times a year will make a huge difference on your lawn if you don't currently do anything. Oh yeah, and mow higher and a little more often.

Hmm this is good to know and likely worth trying

Hmm this is good to know and likely worth trying

It's very worth well trying! Biggest issue for most is finding Milogranite in stock. That picture of a pallet of fertilizer is Milogranite :). Home Depot and Lowes will have it for $15.99, you should be able to take a screenshot from Fleetfarm.com and get them to price match down to $9.99 a bag.

Back when I was a teenager (almost 40 years ago) my dad had me spreading the lawn with Milorganite. It was like magic, had to mow every 5 days. To this day, it’s the only fertilizer I use.

View attachment 463031View attachment 463032

I had been with tru green for the past five years and just left them. The annual cost kept going up 20% annually and I just wasn’t blown away by the results. I priced out the fertilizer and found that I could do it myself for a fraction of the cost with a broadcast spreader. I am using Lesco brand products and my lawn looks better this time of year than it ever has with the tru green service.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom