Should REAL Chili have beans? (3 Viewers)

Should REAL Chili Have Beans???

• Total voters
giphy.webp

Any beans?
Lol it depends. If it’s just us, no.
If we are cooking for a group then we’ll put some beans in.
But never tomatoes unless we are making spaghetti sauce or a spicy Bloody Mary with meat chunks in it.

But real chili doesn’t have beans.

I said no, but Texas chili specifically is no beans. Not sure about Cincinnati. Most others always do.

It’s like asking is deep dish pizza real pizza???? (And no, it’s not). :)
Cincinnati chili isn't real chili. It also doesn't come with beans (although you can add them as an option)

Oh, I had a little more respect for you until I saw your vote. All I can say from now on is,
GO @bergs!!!
The basis of my vote is regional. Every single time I've had it, it has beans. But if we were hitting terms, I would lean towards No. I just had it with 97% of the time.

Can't vote because it 100% depends on the type of chili you're cooking. I typically don't add them when I'm making my favorite recipe, which is more meaty/spicy and perfect for chili dogs. But my wife has a recipe that's different and the beans definitely make that recipe better. We also have 2 other recipes we use on occasion that have them (one is a fantastic white chili), iirc one of them actually has 3 or 4 different kinds of beans.

"Standard" chili, no beans for me. But if all you're eating is standard chili you're missing out!

What is "real" chilli? Anyone can grab on to something and select an appropriate myth and call it history. It's clear that a basic recipe involving "meat" and chilli peppers is undefined and likely will always be so, hence suitable for never ending arguments! For example, here are about 4-5 origin stories: https://whatscookingamerica.net/history/chili/chilihistory.htm

Anyway, here's the recipe for the vegan chilli I made at SQM VII. It didn't last long.

[the meat]
1/2 cup water
1 tbs Chinese black vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs Marmite
1 1/4 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
mix together and allow to soak for at least 30 mins

[the sauce]
1 very large onion diced
1 bulb garlic minced
1 can of dark beer
3 tbs cumin
2 tbs chilli powder
1 1/2 tbs brown sugar
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbs mushroom seasoning
1 7oz can chipotle in adobo sauce
2x 34oz cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of black beans (optional)

Fry onion, garlic and soaked TVP in a stock pot until it starts to stick on the bottom. Deglaze pot with beer. Add everything else and let it simmer on low for at least an hour, stirring occasionally. This is the only photo I can find taken by Mark.

1661031108441.png

Alright... can't not comment on this one. Grew up in TX and I've had chili with everything you can imagine beef, pork, chicken, venison, bison, even armadillo! Concerning beans, pinto's are an easy yes but many years later I can say a combination of navy beans and black beans are my favorite. Chili is such a personal preference and an amazing journey of flavor. Here's my personal favorite, but I've riffed on it so many times.

In my honest opinion, the key is the use of actual honest to God dried chili peppers... Ancho, Guajillo, etc. Buy them at your local ethnic store boil them, grind them into a paste, this is the magic part... That and pork fat (ham hocks, or bacon). Last, but not least, if you are a complete maniac, fire up your BBQ grill, get some Applewood or Hickory smoke, and smoke the chili! #$%@*@## AMAZING! I'm done, I need to go make some!
Screenshot_20220820-181148_Amazon Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DRG
Here is a recipe one of my employees came up with several years ago. Really a good one but not really a traditional red. Great for those colder days with so many flavors that come through to tantalize your pallet. This is a large batch but can be cut in half

4 # Boneless beef chuck roast, ½ inch chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
4 TBS olive oil
3 jalapenos, seeded and diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
5 tsp garlic, minced
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
3 TBS tomato paste
4 C veg/beef stock or broth
2.5 TBS chili powder
2 TBS smoked paprika
1 TBS ground cumin
1 TBS dried oregano
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cinnamon

1. Season beef with salt and pepper
2. In a large pot heat the oil over medium heat and brown, remove meat from the pot and set to the side.
3. Add the jalapeno and onions to the pan and sauté for about 10 minutes until the onions are softened (don’t brown them)
4. Stir in Garlic and seasoning mix and cook for approximately 30 seconds, until just fragrant.
5. Add the beef back into the pot along with the remaining ingredients.
6. Bring the chili to a boil and then turn to low
7. simmer, uncovered 3-3 ½ hours until the meat is tender and chili has thickened, stirring occasionally. If it becomes too thick add more stock as needed.
8. Serve plain or with sour cream, shredded cheese, and green onions.

@liftapint try this one

Im a big fan of chili with cocoa powder and cinnamon. I think it adds that little extra “not sure what it is but I like it!”

What is "real" chilli? Anyone can grab on to something and select an appropriate myth and call it history. It's clear that a basic recipe involving "meat" and chilli peppers is undefined and likely will always be so, hence suitable for never ending arguments! For example, here are about 4-5 origin stories: https://whatscookingamerica.net/history/chili/chilihistory.htm

Anyway, here's the recipe for the vegan chilli I made at SQM VII. It didn't last long.

[the meat]
1/2 cup water
1 tbs Chinese black vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs Marmite
1 1/4 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
mix together and allow to soak for at least 30 mins

[the sauce]
1 very large onion diced
1 bulb garlic minced
1 can of dark beer
3 tbs cumin
2 tbs chilli powder
1 1/2 tbs brown sugar
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbs mushroom seasoning
1 7oz can chipotle in adobo sauce
2x 34oz cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of black beans (optional)

Fry onion, garlic and soaked TVP in a stock pot until it starts to stick on the bottom. Deglaze pot with beer. Add everything else and let it simmer on low for at least an hour, stirring occasionally. This is the only photo I can find taken by Mark.

View attachment 971623
The one thing they all agree upon is that it came from Texas! Real Texas chili, no beans!

I am not saying that you can’t have beans in chili. As the question states, should real, the emphasis on REAL Chile have beans? And once again agreed by all as they say myths, Chili originated in the US, in Texas. But before any of these columns have come out we have always known as San Antonio was the first place the chili recipe first came into being. It was right here and good old San Antonio. Today’s recipes don’t even come close to the original recipe that was brought over in the 1700s by the Canary Islanders.

I'll be honest, I have had some chili before that was pretty darn good that contained beans. Not the texture it should be but very tasty. Many dishes through the years have changed but it still does not change the fact of what the original recipe contained or did not contain. So again, real chili does not contain beans.

Your recipe sounds pretty good. I like my recipe but even my recipe has too many items for REAL Chili.

Here is a recipe one of my employees came up with several years ago. Really a good one but not really a traditional red. Great for those colder days with so many flavors that come through to tantalize your pallet. This is a large batch but can be cut in half

4 # Boneless beef chuck roast, ½ inch chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
4 TBS olive oil
3 jalapenos, seeded and diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
5 tsp garlic, minced
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
3 TBS tomato paste
4 C veg/beef stock or broth
2.5 TBS chili powder
2 TBS smoked paprika
1 TBS ground cumin
1 TBS dried oregano
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cinnamon

1. Season beef with salt and pepper
2. In a large pot heat the oil over medium heat and brown, remove meat from the pot and set to the side.
3. Add the jalapeno and onions to the pan and sauté for about 10 minutes until the onions are softened (don’t brown them)
4. Stir in Garlic and seasoning mix and cook for approximately 30 seconds, until just fragrant.
5. Add the beef back into the pot along with the remaining ingredients.
6. Bring the chili to a boil and then turn to low
7. simmer, uncovered 3-3 ½ hours until the meat is tender and chili has thickened, stirring occasionally. If it becomes too thick add more stock as needed.
8. Serve plain or with sour cream, shredded cheese, and green onions.

@liftapint try this one
Share more recipes !

Disagree, if it doesn't have beans then what stops it from being just a strange stew? That said, that strange stew is great on some fries imo. Also, any y'all put some Fritos on chili to give it a crunch?

beans and pasta which are strictly forbidden
My homemade chili contains both.... plus beef, onions, tomatoes, and peppers (chili, jalapeno, and bell). I top it off with shredded cheese.

It's delicious, dont care what you wanna call it.

This thread reminds me how long it’s been since I’ve made Chili. That’s gonna change asap!

Personally, chili sans beans always seems a bit odd to me, but then again, I come from a country that decided pineapple should belong on pizza (a good thing, for the record!) so maybe we just have a knack for messing up original recipes! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

i just said to my wife i feel like making a batch of of chili and she said it's too early in the year because it's still 90°F out.

also, i voted with beans - i've never made chili without beans - but i do understand the purist take.

I'm a solid no-beaner, mainly because at many places (including my tennis/golf club), the beans dominate, and their chili is more of a bean stew.

Having said that, though, I do usually add a small (4-oz) can of baked beans and sauce to each gallon of my chili, because I like the tiny flavor boost.

And for another debate, I use about 3 pounds of 1/2 - 3/4 inch cubed beef to one lb. of ground chuck. Never use all ground beef...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom