Should REAL Chili have beans? (2 Viewers)

Should REAL Chili Have Beans???

• Total voters
The one thing they all agree upon is that it came from Texas! Real Texas chili, no beans!

Extract from an 1877 Kansas newspaper:
at San Antonio they have a dish called chili con carne. It is of Mexican origin, and is composed of beef, peas, gravy and red pepper.

Another tidbit:
In describing San Antonio’s open-air chili scene in 1882, a reporter from Alabama’s Greenville Advocate rendered it as “chille cancarne.” (And also reported that it contained beans.)

It wouldn't surprise me if no beans in Texas chili is a recent invention, much like Santa's suit being Coca-Cola red.

Meat+beans = not chili
Beans+spices = not chili
Meat+spices = chili

You can leave beans out and it’s still chili. You can’t leave out either the meat or spices therefore they are the base of chili
Anything else you add to it just makes it “chili with xx”. Like “chili with beans”

Extract from an 1877 Kansas newspaper:

Another tidbit:

It wouldn't surprise me if no beans in Texas chili is a recent invention, much like Santa's suit being Coca-Cola red.
I think they are describing a festival, in which extra local ingredients were probably added to it to make it go further.

Meat+beans = not chili
Beans+spices = not chili
Meat+spices = chili

You can leave beans out and it’s still chili. You can’t leave out either the meat or spices therefore they are the base of chili
Anything else you add to it just makes it “chili with xx”. Like “chili with beans”

1661115723204.png
= chili

meat + chili = chili con carne

:p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom