Should REAL Chili have beans? (1 Viewer)

Should REAL Chili Have Beans???

• Total voters

David O

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Should REAL Chili Have Beans??? That is the question for all to comment on.

There has been debate about hot dogs being sandwiches but I thought I would see how people respond to, BEANS in Chili??? WTF.

Please note that we from San Antonio lay claim to the original recipe brought to the States by immigrants from the Canary Islands in 1730, and the rest is History!

Is Goulash a chili with Beans or Corn??? Hmm... Maybe another question for later!

Huh. I legitimately didn’t know this was debated. If someone brought me chili without beans I’d think there had been a mistake.

Not a mistake, just original.

I saw many commercial places adding beans. Having dealt in the food business beans in chili are nothing more than a food cost saver! Cheap way to get more servings out of a pot. Probably the same reason you see home recipes with beans.

Voted "No".

But if Wick Fowler can abide a little innovation I'm not going to get too militant over the issue

812MpjvhS6L._SX569_.png

Ok. Sorry about that. Don’t know enough to speak on the topic, then.
No, it's ok. I do not think many know about this or if a hot dog is a sandwich! Just a good friendly debate. We Texans really love our chili and hate to see it outside of the Lone Star state because people add beans.

Voted "No".

But if Wick Fowler can abide a little innovation I'm not going to get too militant over the issue

View attachment 971394
That is funny, I have seen this but everyone who know's chill, knows Wick Fowler said, and I quote, "if you know beans about chili, you know that chili has no beans."

I said no, but Texas chili specifically is no beans. Not sure about Cincinnati. Most others always do.

It’s like asking is deep dish pizza real pizza???? (And no, it’s not). :)
Love it. Yes, my place makes only thin crust pizza with crispy crust! You need to come visit and the beer and Real Pizza is on me. Yes we have chili on the menu as well, NO BEANS!:D

Well I would say technically no, but I believe the answer is actually yes.

There are people that can't change or don't understand how and why change occurs.

Words meanings change over time, brands lose rights over the brand name if they are used over the type, tissue, hook and loop, Inline skates.

If 5 people define chili as no beans and the other 600 people define it with beans which is going to prevail? I think it is fine to remember and note it, but to cling to it, as a prescriptavist, about food might not go over well. Inclusion is the new black.

When I make chili it's without beans :wtf:
I typically smoke pork and chicken, which pork is a 12 hour smoke, and I prefer to do other things with.

I don’t have any experience with chili pecause I can’t take the heat. But honest question, if chili doesn’t have any beans, how is it different from sloppy Joe?

I don’t have any experience with chili pecause I can’t take the heat. But honest question, if chili doesn’t have any beans, how is it different from sloppy Joe?
Oh my, we need to educate you! Sloppy Joe's really? Sloppy joes is basically ground beef with a sweet tomato sauce. Blah!

Chili for those that. love the heat is as quoted form the ICS for a traditional red, "meat or combination of meats, cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of beans and pasta which are strictly forbidden"

I am not a chili expert. We always used the Carroll Shelby kit with hominy, and made a second, milder batch with ground turkey.

Someone should alert a mod that this thread should be moved to the politics forum!

I demand a taste test to make this decision.

Here is a recipe one of my employees came up with several years ago. Really a good one but not really a traditional red. Great for those colder days with so many flavors that come through to tantalize your pallet. This is a large batch but can be cut in half

4 # Boneless beef chuck roast, ½ inch chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
4 TBS olive oil
3 jalapenos, seeded and diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
5 tsp garlic, minced
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
3 TBS tomato paste
4 C veg/beef stock or broth
2.5 TBS chili powder
2 TBS smoked paprika
1 TBS ground cumin
1 TBS dried oregano
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cinnamon

1. Season beef with salt and pepper
2. In a large pot heat the oil over medium heat and brown, remove meat from the pot and set to the side.
3. Add the jalapeno and onions to the pan and sauté for about 10 minutes until the onions are softened (don’t brown them)
4. Stir in Garlic and seasoning mix and cook for approximately 30 seconds, until just fragrant.
5. Add the beef back into the pot along with the remaining ingredients.
6. Bring the chili to a boil and then turn to low
7. simmer, uncovered 3-3 ½ hours until the meat is tender and chili has thickened, stirring occasionally. If it becomes too thick add more stock as needed.
8. Serve plain or with sour cream, shredded cheese, and green onions.

@liftapint try this one

Should REAL Chili Have Beans??? That is the question for all to comment on.

There has been debate about hot dogs being sandwiches but I thought I would see how people respond to, BEANS in Chili??? WTF.

Please note that we from San Antonio lay claim to the original recipe brought to the States by immigrants from the Canary Islands in 1730, and the rest is History!

Is Goulash a chili with Beans or Corn??? Hmm... Maybe another question for later!
Hahahaha. HOTDOG VS SANDWICH 2 - THE CHILI CONUNDRUM.

I mean, I was going to say the same thing, but "stew" rather than "sloppy Joe". What differentiates chili from stew, if no beans?

I mean, I was going to say the same thing, but "stew" rather than "sloppy Joe". What differentiates chili from stew, if no beans?
Interwebs says:

Is chili different from soup and stew?

Kind of! Chili is considered a type of stew because of its low liquid content and is usually made with chilis or chili powder.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom