Should I reduce the stakes? (4 Viewers)

Do you feel they are not buying back in due to financial reasons? And would those financial reasons go away over $10?

Yes. I'd even do 0.05/0.10. Anything less than a 100 big blind buy in becomes a shove fest very quickly.

You tailor the stakes to your players. If most don't want to lose more than $40 in a night, nickel/dime stakes is most appropriate.

On the other side of the coin, some games tend to play really deep. Like really deep where someone will buy in for 400 BB's and no one bats an eye. This is better for circus/mixed games where a lot of the games are played for stacks.

Do you feel they are not buying back in due to financial reasons? And would those financial reasons go away over $10?
I think most could afford to play for $40 but I feel like the real reason they don't is they might have the thought that one is enough

Play 5cent/10cent. Much splashier and good for learning. From your posts, you're young and teaching brand new people how to play and how to enjoy poker nights, .25 cent blinds with $20 stacks isn't as fun as 5cent/10cent with deeper stacks.

Also, make it clear that rebuying is okay and its not a loss. Some players in my game see it as a tournament where they just put in $5 or $10 and if they don't win oh well, they see it as a loss and think they're done.

Yes. I'd even do 0.05/0.10. Anything less than a 100 big blind buy in becomes a shove fest very quickly.

You tailor the stakes to your players. If most don't want to lose more than $40 in a night, nickel/dime stakes is most appropriate.

On the other side of the coin, some games tend to play really deep. Like really deep where someone will buy in for 400 BB's and no one bats an eye. This is better for circus/mixed games where a lot of the games are played for stacks.
I like .1/.1 better because I don't have 5 cent chips so I can just divide all my chips by 10

I think I should do $10-$20 buy-in and encourage people to rebuy if they brought the money for it.

I know my players like Pineapple so should I adjust the amount of BBs a buy-in is worth?

Also, make it clear that rebuying is okay and its not a loss. Some players in my game see it as a tournament where they just put in $5 or $10 and if they don't win oh well, they see it as a loss and think they're done.
Right, that’s what I was trying to say. Some groups don’t really understand the distinction between cash and tournament games - they grew up watching WSOP tournaments and that’s how they understand it; you buy in once and when your chips are gone, so are you. You gotta make sure they understand that you’re running a cash game and they can buy in and rebuy or top off as they please.

The only way to find out would be to try it. Some newer players bet more based on the actualy dollar amount than the number of big blinds, so they might play exactly the same at .1/.1 as at .25/.25. Another option would be to do .1/.1 but have them buy in for $20 with $10 on the table and $10 behind to get them used to the concept of topping off their stack back up to $10 as they lose. That way they're adding on without having to make the decision to "rebuy" and getting used to the concept that in a cash game you can add on as needed, not just when felted. Obviously they wouldn't HAVE to add on, but they're much more likely to do it if they already have the chips.

Right, that’s what I was trying to say. Some groups don’t really understand the distinction between cash and tournament games - they grew up watching WSOP tournaments and that’s how they understand it; you buy in once and when your chips are gone, so are you. You gotta make sure they understand that you’re running a cash game and they can buy in and rebuy or top off as they please.
that's partially my fault too, I initially advertised it as a tourney but when I realized people couldn't be there the whole time I changed it to cash, so I kinda muddied the waters. I'm gonna advertise it as a cash game from now on unless I know I can do a tournament

The only way to find out would be to try it. Some newer players bet more based on the actualy dollar amount than the number of big blinds, so they might play exactly the same at .1/.1 as at .25/.25. Another option would be to do .1/.1 but have them buy in for $20 with $10 on the table and $10 behind to get them used to the concept of topping off their stack back up to $10 as they lose. That way they're adding on without having to make the decision to "rebuy" and getting used to the concept that in a cash game you can add on as needed, not just when felted. Obviously they wouldn't HAVE to add on, but they're much more likely to do it if they already have the chips.
There is one more problem, I don't have many $10 bills. This might solve it by letting them just play for 10 by putting in 20

Another possibility is keeping the blinds the same but making the game limit, as we've only played big bet games

When I was in high school/college we used dice chips which were all worth $0.10 each regardless of color. Played $0.10/$0.20.

We had no minimum buy-in to get more players.

We also regularly did things like $5 buy-in tournaments, sometimes with 4 roommates just to play.

so if you switch stakes what's your plan, play with 10/50/100/500 and count the values as pennies? i know that's going to drive some people in here crazy since they're used to .25 and not .50 but i think that would actually play ok. You definitely don't want to use 10 25 and 50 all at once.

There is one more problem, I don't have many $10 bills. This might solve it by letting them just play for 10 by putting in 20
First thing I did for my cash game was go to the bank and get $100 in small bills (1s and 5s) for a bank. Change is never an issue if you do this. If you do your own buy in with small bills, you shouldn't ever really run out.

At my 5c/10c game I've had players buy in for all sorts of numbers. $5, $10, $20, and even weird numbers once you get into rebuys cuz people will just give you whatever amount of cash they happen to have been walking around with already before they went to the ATM. I had a guy buy in for $11 one time. Whatever number somebody wants to buy in for you want to be able to make work, cuz that's how you get money on the table.

Have you thought about limit? You could do 50¢ small bet /$1 big bet, buy-in $25 for 100 25¢ chips. Might see one or two re-buys after a few hours.

Have you thought about limit? You could do 50¢ small bet /$1 big bet, buy-in $25 for 100 25¢ chips. Might see one or two re-buys after a few hours.
Yes I have, but I don't have that many 25 cent chips

High Stakes poker was the basis for our regular game.
Now we couldn't imagine all buying in for the same amount or not having 200-400 big blinds.

High Stakes Poker is interesting and edited.
The live stream is..... Come on.

It sounds like part of the problem is that you’re trying to make your game fit your chipset when it should be the other way around.

Why don’t you get a cheaper set like a dice chipset and play with that until you find out exactly what your group likes. I know it's sacrilegious to say this on a poker chip forum but that would be the best way to find out what works best for you and your group.

Otherwise when you say you moved from hosting tourneys to cash games because some people couldn't stay for a long time, you could always run turbo tournaments with cash game afterwards for those who want to stay?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom