RIP Mad Mike / No Parachute :( (2 Viewers)

So does anyone know what flat earthers think the benefits are for all these people (governments, astronomers, pilots, etc. from all across the planet) to be lying to the masses about the shape of our earth? I just don't get why they think it's worth covering up and lying about? Is there more money to be made on a spherical planet?

Crazy.gif

I can’t help but think this:
Other flat-earthers say “I won’t believe anything I don’t see with my own eyes... and I refuse to look.” Which of course is the hallmark of the whole anti-enlightenment movement.
Mad Mike said “I won’t believe anything I don’t see with my own eyes, so I’m going to go look.”

While still ridiculous, it is markedly less so, and I find it way less frustrating.

The guy launches himself less than 2000 feet to prove -to himself- that the world is flat.

Ignores basic science that allow you to see it for yourself: Ships dropping off the horizon, the inability to see certain constellations from different hemispheres, the round shadow of earth during an eclipse, and other more science-y ways that were used to determine the shape of the earth over 2000 years ago.

Ignores helicopter rides that get you up over 5000 feet. Ignores airplanes that cruise at over 35,000 feet.

This guy was just plain stupid. Holding him up as an icon is to celebrate stupidity - something that this country seems to embrace more than actual intelligence.

Good riddance to "Mad Mike". You should have never been born, you waste of sperm.

This matter was settled to me, once and for all, when I first heard Rufus Thomas sing, “The world is round, but it’s crooked just the same.”

The guy launches himself less than 2000 feet to prove -to himself- that the world is flat.

Ignores basic science that allow you to see it for yourself: Ships dropping off the horizon, the inability to see certain constellations from different hemispheres, the round shadow of earth during an eclipse, and other more science-y ways that were used to determine the shape of the earth over 2000 years ago.

Ignores helicopter rides that get you up over 5000 feet. Ignores airplanes that cruise at over 35,000 feet.

This guy was just plain stupid. Holding him up as an icon is to celebrate stupidity - something that this country seems to embrace more than actual intelligence.

Good riddance to "Mad Mike". You should have never been born, you waste of sperm.
Don't sugarcoat it...give it to us straight. Let us know how you really feel...

Last edited:
Problem is, I think it does do harm... it tries to undermine science and facts, which then potentially feeds anti-vaxxers & co. even more.
Exactly this. Stick everyone who doesn’t believe in scientific “facts” all on an island and toss a few Corona/SmallPox blankets on there and let them figure out if it’s science or the bogeyman for themselves.

...This guy was just plain stupid. Holding him up as an icon is to celebrate stupidity - something that this country seems to embrace more than actual intelligence.

It's just a shame that we have to wait until December for his Darwin Award...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom