Resume's (2 Viewers)

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I need to put together a cover letter and resume. I haven't put one together in over 20 years. I googled it and of course there was a shit ton of sites offering free templates. Which sites have you used?

I'm looking to apply within my department (well, a branch of my department). I'm ready to mix things up. Its more of a lateral move salary wise. Job wise it will be completely different.

Thanks

B

Good luck on the job switch. I have been at the same job for so long, I am no help on the resume front.

Its more of a "responsibilities" switch lol.

I'm currently a Public Safety Officer. I'm looking at moving into the Community Engagement Services.

When you work for yourself for 25 years, you don't have to face these sorts of problems.

Like what would you put down on an application anyway? CEO of micro tiny business. Scrubs toilets as needed. Can't fix most broken things at the office. Screens calls until prospective customers leave a message. Never works with other people, often cranky. On the plus side, willing to work for small irregular paycheck.

I wouldn't hire me, except I have no choice -=- DrStrange

When you work for yourself for 25 years, you don't have to face these sorts of problems.

Like what would you put down on an application anyway? CEO of micro tiny business. Scrubs toilets as needed. Can't fix most broken things at the office. Screens calls until prospective customers leave a message. Never works with other people, often cranky. On the plus side, willing to work for small irregular paycheck.

I wouldn't hire me, except I have no choice -=- DrStrange

You forgot deep knowledge of poker chips.

A resume is a resume. Use whichever form you like—Word might even have a standard macro form available. Regardless, the form is far less important than the substance; make absolutely sure you have no mispellings or error’s in punctuation nor grammar.

Good luck!

A resume is a resume. Use whichever form you like—Word might even have a standard macro form available. Regardless, the form is far less important than the substance; make absolutely sure you have no mispellings or error’s in punctuation nor grammar.

Good luck!

I have a couple of people that will handle the proof read for me (both of our AD's who are in support of me applying for this position). I've already scheduled a meeting with the person in my department that does the hiring for us (she won't be doing the interviewing for this position) to discuss the resume content, interview process, ect..... since its been two decades lol.

Agree with @gopherblue. I own my own business so I review cover letters / resumes regularly. Be really clear on your goals in the cover letter. Not just why you are right for the job but why you want it. Ambition is attractive because it infers you will work even harder. Resume should be one sided and most important info closest to the top. Since you have been in your position awhile in the same company make sure to positivly but honestly tout your accomplishments in that position.

A resume is a resume. Use whichever form you like—Word might even have a standard macro form available. Regardless, the form is far less important than the substance; make absolutely sure you have no mispellings misspellings or error’s errors in punctuation nor grammar.

Good luck!
I second this. Whatever you do, don't pluralize with apostrophes ;)
(sorry, I couldn't help myself in this context)

Actual advice though, make sure whatever format you do is clear, concise, easy to read and highlights the skills/experience that are most proficient and relevant to the position. If somebody has to dig through a lot of dense sentences to find the info they're looking for it's not going to do you any favors.

I second this. Whatever you do, don't pluralize with apostrophes ;)
(sorry, I couldn't help myself in this context)

Actual advice though, make sure whatever format you do is clear, concise, easy to read and highlights the skills/experience that are most proficient and relevant to the position. If somebody has to dig through a lot of dense sentences to find the info they're looking for it's not going to do you any favors.
;) You missed one, but glad someone has a sharp eye.

I would recommend writing out your job history on LinkedIn. This will give you a good idea of items to include in your resume. I would also have you accept all of the friend requests / contact suggestions possible on LinkedIn. This will get eyes on your resume, and get people thinking about you. I had worked for the same company for 20 years before I left unexpectedly. By using LinkedIn I had multiple interviews and offers within days.

LinkedIn is a good suggestion. Sounds like it's a little more than you need in this particular case, but it has quickly become an online resume of choice for many employers. Like @JWC said, it'll give you a solid idea of what elements you need to construct your resume. Once you're done, copy and paste into a resume template, and then nip and tuck to your preferences. Since you've been in the same company for 20 years, this part shouldn't be too labor-intensive.

As to your cover letter, draft a few paragraphs that explain why you're applying for the job—without repeating stuff that's in your resume already. Don't be afraid to lean a bit on the passionate side. What caught your eye about the new position? Is it something you've wanted to do for a long time or something you've just started considering? Do you already know people on the team you'll be working with? What do you bring to the table that will add value to the position? What have you learned over the years that will prepare you for this new venture? Do you have any interests or skills that aren't on your resume that are particularly useful for this position? (Or maybe those interests/skills should be on your resume, but you can explain them in more detail in the cover letter.)

These are just some starter questions to generate content. The main thing you should have in your mind while writing the cover letter is this: What about me as an individual—as opposed to my degrees or work history—makes this a great match? When you're done with your draft, hand it off to a solid editor to cut and polish until you have a gem.

Whatever you do, don't try to use a fill-in template for a cover letter. As soon as the hiring person realizes it's a template, he'll probably skip right over it, and it'll make it look like you don't care much about details.

I remember two things from all of the resumes / interviews that I have had with potential employees:

- one person said in their letter that they had always wanted to work for Hewlett-Packard packard. The bad news was that i didn’t work for Hewlett-Packard so the guy really blew it.
- another hand write a thank you note after the interview, thanking me for the opportunity. I still remember that persons name over twenty years later.

John

I would recommend writing out your job history on LinkedIn. This will give you a good idea of items to include in your resume. I would also have you accept all of the friend requests / contact suggestions possible on LinkedIn. This will get eyes on your resume, and get people thinking about you. I had worked for the same company for 20 years before I left unexpectedly. By using LinkedIn I had multiple interviews and offers within days.

I had a similar experience last year. I had used LinkedIn, but only had job titles listed. I applied internally for a position within my company as was at for 20 years and we used Workday. You can import your LinkedIn info into Workday so I updated LinkedIn with my full job history. I did not get the job (they went externally even though I had 20 yrs of experience - 2nd time that happened to me there).

Later on, a recruiter reached out to me even though I didn't have the open to offers or whatever it's called turned on in LinkedIn. Yada, yada, yada, I'm now working at one of the best companies to work for who gets ranked high in the best places to work every year. The irony is that if I wouldn't have applied for the job at my previous company, my new company would have never found me. Love LinkedIn!

I need to put together a cover letter and resume. I haven't put one together in over 20 years. I googled it and of course there was a shit ton of sites offering free templates. Which sites have you used?

I'm looking to apply within my department (well, a branch of my department). I'm ready to mix things up. Its more of a lateral move salary wise. Job wise it will be completely different.

Thanks

B

Good luck in your quest!

I'm looking at moving into the Community Engagement Services.

Cool. Does that mean you're getting back into choking people and administering throat punches?

I redid my resume in December. I went much more "top level" than I have in the past. I dont recall where the template came from. So much hiring is done online these days, that a paper resume is almost obsolete.

If it's within the same organization, then you're a known commodity. Just tailor your cover letter and resume to the skills required in the new job (i.e., tell them you know how to choke out a fool, or throat punch a drunk).

GLGL!

Last edited:

Good luck!

No offense, Bill, but THIS! We all know your language, but use English on the resume...

You missed the third error, Sherlock. ;) They were, of course, intentional.

Of course.

No, I didn't. I didn't address grammar (or grandpa).

2 + 1 = 3 (regarding plurals)

(For anyone into such a waste of time, I recommend the books written by my tennis- and poker-playing friend Bill Walsh, chief copy editor for the Washington Post, who died last year. His "Lapsing into a Comma" started the trend of irreverent books about copy editing.)

Of course.

No, I didn't. I didn't address grammar (or grandpa).

2 + 1 = 3 (regarding plurals)

(For anyone into such a waste of time, I recommend the books written by my tennis- and poker-playing friend Bill Walsh, chief copy editor for the Washington Post, who died last year. His "Lapsing into a Comma" started the trend of irreverent books about copy editing.)
I’m not entirely sure you did. :bag: I made three misteaks in my original pest, all in the last claus. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Cool. Does that mean you're getting back into choking people and administering throat punches?

Heck no. I believe most of the time I won't even be in uniform. It will mostly be working with the community, presentations, ect....

My general resume advice:
-Keep it short and sweet
-Dont overly fancy up the verbiage, instead use regular language
-Tailor your job experience a bit to role you are applying for and what they might like to see

I just use Microsoft word generic template, and try to pick a boring one

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom