Help Building Resume (1 Viewer)

ImCrossland

Full House
Reaction score
With so many members here coming from all walks of life, I’m hoping to find someone who can help me put my resume together. I’ve made countless edits and reforms over the last few months to little success.

Whether you have time to individually work through it with me, or just enough time to send a few tips and tricks, any help would be appreciated.

I’ve been out of work since May and submitted well over 300 applications to date. As @DrStrange says: At this point, it’s not the job, it’s the candidate.

-Triston

We need more info, what type of work or industry are you looking for. I know you have a crap ton of IT ppl here, your CV will take shape depending on how the managers would expect it to look.

depending on what sites you're using to find jobs, Linkedin is typically a necessity.

So this is a screening problem or interview problem? sounds like getting through the screeners. If so, enter via linkedin connections or trade orgs. Personal connections matter in the process.

I review a couple resumes a week for strategic hires. I focus on what outcomes they provided to their past employers. How did you help the business through simple to understand statements with data points.

My interview starts with speak to me as you would a young child or a golden retriever. It wasn't brains that got me this position I can assure you.

The sample resume isn't bad, its going to look similar regardless of vertical but you'll want to move things around depending on your strengths.

Obviously if you have an Ivy league education, you'll want to lead with that in most cases. If you've attended a top 10 school for any field likely, you'll post that at the top. If you have a masters in anything other than an MBA you'll likely also lead with education, if you have an MBA and it is not mandatory for the positions you are applying for you'll likely be better off leading with something else.

For technical jobs an array of skills / tech you're proficient with will be at the top.
a brief summary of job description and any accolades or accomplishments, toss in any humble brags you can!
education and certs would come last.

Try to keep it to a single page, but no more than two.

I’m happy to look at your resume and provide feedback. Our typical job posting gets several hundred applicants and I usually only refer 5 to 10 to our recruiter for vetting. So hours of my week is spent looking at resumes and making decisions. I see a wide variety too because my work is unique and we cast a wide net trying to find motivated, intelligent, conscientious candidates regardless of educational background or work experience.

I review CVs all the time. Some things I like:
  • Keep it clean. I want to easily be able to find your name, skills and certs and where you've worked before and for how long
  • Keep it relevant. I don't care that you worked at McBurgermeister when you were 17 unless I'm hiring you to work at a McBurgermeister or similar business. If you only have two jobs listed but you worked at them for a combined two decades, I'm ok with that.
  • Keep it brief. Two pages is ok, but all the important stuff should be on the first page if possible. Stick to bullets and not wordy paragraphs. Use third person action phrases, e.g. "Developed new process for manufacturing workflow, resulting in improved efficiency." I'll ask for the details in the interview. They don't need to be on the page.

I’m happy to look at your resume and provide feedback. Our typical job posting gets several hundred applicants and I usually only refer 5 to 10 to our recruiter for vetting. So hours of my week is spent looking at resumes and making decisions. I see a wide variety too because my work is unique and we cast a wide net trying to find motivated, intelligent, conscientious candidates regardless of educational background or work experience.
Isn't that opposite to how it should work? Our recruiters looks at the hundreds to show me the 5 to 10. We build the disqualifying questions together and they do the leg work.

With so many members here coming from all walks of life, I’m hoping to find someone who can help me put my resume together. I’ve made countless edits and reforms over the last few months to little success.

Whether you have time to individually work through it with me, or just enough time to send a few tips and tricks, any help would be appreciated.

I’ve been out of work since May and submitted well over 300 applications to date. As @DrStrange says: At this point, it’s not the job, it’s the candidate.

-Triston
What industry?

We need more info, what type of work or industry are you looking for. I know you have a crap ton of IT ppl here, your CV will take shape depending on how the managers would expect it to look.

depending on what sites you're using to find jobs, Linkedin is typically a necessity.
Government Relations, Public Policy, Communications

About to begin a 12-week course to earn a certification in Data Analytics as well. Hoping to broaden my knowledge and (hopefully) career prospects as well.

Isn't that opposite to how it should work? Our recruiters looks at the hundreds to show me the 5 to 10. We build the disqualifying questions together and they do the leg work.
Yes, it is opposite. Fought for years and now I just embrace the suck.

Lots of jobs in your wheelhouse here in Maryland. One game hosted by a member here has multiple lobbiest that play in it. Are you open to relocation?
Was going to say something similar, ditto DC and northern Virginia.

If relocation isn’t feasible, Covid made a decent number of these jobs either fully remote or something closely approximating it.

Lots of jobs in your wheelhouse here in Maryland. One game hosted by a member here has multiple lobbiest that play in it. Are you open to relocation?
Absolutely. Served under two Congressmen on Capitol Hill for about a year after graduating and loved it. Would love to get back there.

Have a Bachelor’s in Political Science and Master of Public Administration. Happy to send my resume along if warranted.

Appreciate the help!

Honestly...do you have another professional photo for your linked in where you are more smiling instead of the deadpan?

Absolutely. Served under two Congressmen on Capitol Hill for about a year after graduating and loved it. Would love to get back there.

Have a Bachelor’s in Political Science and Master of Public Administration. Happy to send my resume along if warranted.

Appreciate the help!
I think this field is absolutely going to be more who than what you know.

Should probably invest in getting a proper photo. That was taken a few years ago as a free deal and never thought about it after that.
It usually only makes a different for women and people of color of course, but would probably help you too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom