Rash of old TV Shows Coming Back .... (1 Viewer)

A few more:

The Munsters
The upcoming reboot of this classic ‘60s sitcom will relocate the family to “hipster Brooklyn,” where they try to fit in as an ordinary family, according to reports. Seth Meyers of “Saturday Night Live” fame is one of the producers of the show. The original series lasted only two seasons, but spawned several moderately successful movies.

"NBC plans to bring back Miami Vice.
A premiere date hasn’t been set, but Vin Diesel is one of the producers .. "

" David Hasselhoff, who starred in the original Knight Rider, recently confirmed that the show is again getting the reboot treatment..."

Just read about the proposed Knight Rider movie starring John Cena and Kevin Hart as the voice of Kitt. Also read about Hasselhoff's vision for a Logan-style movie treatment for it... It all made me feel sad and old.

" Starsky & Hutch’ TV Series Reboot From James Gunn Lands At Amazon
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Aug. 31, 2017

Starsky & Hutch a reboot of the 1970s buddy cop series that comes from The Guardians Of the Galaxy franchise writer-director James Gunn, writing duo Brian Gunn and Mark Gunn and Sony Pictures TY Studios, has landed at Amazon for development with a script-to-series commitment.

A co-production between Amazon and Sony TV, the revamp will be a continuation of the original series, a character-driven one hour procedural that deconstructs the buddy cop genre in the same way that James Gunn has done with the science fiction genre with Guardians of the Galaxy...."

Galaxy Quest

v71n2cxmtetabmsha4ue.jpg

"The cult movie beloved by sci-fi fans for its gentle mocking of, well, sci-fi fans, is back on track as a rebooted TV series for Amazon,THR reports. The revival was originally revealed but plans were put on hold after the death of original cast-member Alan Rickman, who was to reprise his role in the new series. It's now on again, with writer/actor/comedian Paul Scheer (The Disaster Artist, Veep) set to write the script.
The original 1999 film was a mild success, grossing $90 million, but has since become a cult classic. Starring Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman and Tony Shalhoub, it follows the cast of a fictional Star Trek-like TV show called Galaxy Quest. After it's canceled, they make their living via conventions, but are suddenly visited by actual aliens who believe the show is a documentary. The crew subsequently becomes mixed up in a serious galactic conflict and pulls together despite deep-seated resentments, with the help of devoted fans....."

Mathesar.jpg

OK... Time to list another!! :

"‘Murphy Brown’ is returning to television, Again, with Candice Bergen!
By Travis M. Andrews, Washington Post - Jan. 25, 2018

The recent spate of television show reboots continues with “Murphy Brown.”

CBS announced on Wednesday that the network is bringing back the sitcom, which ran for 10 seasons from 1988 to 1998. The network said in a statement that it has committed to 13 NEW episodes, which will air in the 2018-19 season.

Actress Candice Bergen, 71, will reprise her role as Brown, a fierce female journalist working in a male-dominated world of broadcast news. Diane English, the show’s creator, will return as a writer and producer.

The statement implied that the reboot will tackle current political and cultural issues, saying the show “returns to a world of cable news, social media, fake news and a very different political and cultural climate.”

The original show was critically acclaimed, earning 62 Emmy nominations. It often tackled divisive social issues during its decade-long run. The most famous instance came when Brown, a single woman, became pregnant. She wrestled with the idea of having an abortion but eventually decided to have the child and raise it on her own...."

Last edited:
I wonder how long before they commission new episodes of Roseanne, X-Files, Will & Grace, Match Game, Full House .. ... Wait, .... uh ...
I meant Cheers, Laverne & Shirley, & NYPD Blue .... :)

Who's going to "re-do" the theme song ???

--------------

ABC orders female-led Greatest American Hero Reboot
By Natalie Abrams, EW.com - Jan. 25, 2018

ABC has given a pilot order to a female-led reboot of The Greatest American Hero from Fresh Off the Boat EP Nahnatchka Khan.

Inspired by the 1980s TV show of the same name, The Greatest American Hero centers around Meera, a 30-year-old woman who loves tequila and karaoke and has spent her life searching and failing to find meaning, much to the chagrin of her traditional Indian-American family. An inexplicable event occurs that will change the course of Meera’s life forever: She is entrusted with a super suit to protect the planet. Meera may have finally found purpose, but the world has never been in more unreliable hands.

The original series, which starred William Katt as a school teacher imbued with superhuman abilities after a group of aliens bestowed him with a red and black super suit, ran from 1981-1983 on ABC. ..."

Who's going to "re-do" the theme song ???

--------------

ABC orders female-led Greatest American Hero Reboot
By Natalie Abrams, EW.com - Jan. 25, 2018

ABC has given a pilot order to a female-led reboot of The Greatest American Hero from Fresh Off the Boat EP Nahnatchka Khan.

Inspired by the 1980s TV show of the same name, The Greatest American Hero centers around Meera, a 30-year-old woman who loves tequila and karaoke and has spent her life searching and failing to find meaning, much to the chagrin of her traditional Indian-American family. An inexplicable event occurs that will change the course of Meera’s life forever: She is entrusted with a super suit to protect the planet. Meera may have finally found purpose, but the world has never been in more unreliable hands.

The original series, which starred William Katt as a school teacher imbued with superhuman abilities after a group of aliens bestowed him with a red and black super suit, ran from 1981-1983 on ABC. ..."

I adored that show.
(Of course, I was 9 years old)

Same here. Have you tried to re-watch it? If not, don't. Stay with the fond memories that you have of it. I couldn't make it through the pilot episode.

I've had a similar syndrome with many - if not all - of my old favorites. Speed Racer, Mad about You, Night Stalker and many others (that now slip my mind). TV was very different then, and the difference will make your wince at your 9 year old self.

It's one of the reasons I'm reticent to watch these relaunches.

They just keep on commin' ..:

The Charmed reboot just landed a pilot order at The CW — .

The update the 1998 fan favorite about a trio of sisters who are powerful witches will now have a rather progressive and topical take. Here’s the network’s official new description for the new incarnation of Charmed: “This fierce, funny, feminist reboot of the original series centers on three sisters in a college town who discover they are witches. Between vanquishing supernatural demons, tearing down the patriarchy, and maintaining familial bonds, a witch’s work is never done.”

I've had a similar syndrome with many - if not all - of my old favorites. Speed Racer, Mad about You, Night Stalker and many others (that now slip my mind). TV was very different then, and the difference will make your wince at your 9 year old self.

It's one of the reasons I'm reticent to watch these relaunches.
Anybody else thing of this when they hear "Night Stalker?"

Anybody else thing of this when they hear "Night Stalker?"

So much, yes! My grandma had an Intellivision and this game would be played constantly between myself, my brother, and cousins when we went over there. Could never get past the Black Robot.

We just bought one of those "throwback" Atari consoles with something like 100 games built in.

It's still a bunch of fun (alcohol does help), but it does lack a lot of the same entertainment value it had back in the 80s.

We just bought one of those "throwback" Atari consoles with something like 100 games built in.

It's still a bunch of fun (alcohol does help), but it does lack a lot of the same entertainment value it had back in the 80s.
I just put together a Raspberry Pi Retropie system for old games. When nostalgia strikes I can download games from almost every system and run it through EmulationStation. Games that I don't want aren't taking up space, and I'm not limited to just what is offered on one of the pre-packaged retro systems. I only have one SNES style controller for now, but will be buying a couple Playstation DualShock 4's as they will be wireless and cover pretty any game I would want to play.

The kit I bought...
https://www.amazon.com/Vilros-Raspb...7199707&sr=8-4&keywords=vilros+raspberry+pi+3

"ABC Sets Up ‘NYPD Blue’ Sequel Series Following Andy Sipowicz’s Son
By Reid Nakamura, TheWrap.com - Oct. 17, 2018
"ABC has given a pilot production commitment to an “NYPD Blue” sequel series centered on Andy Sipowicz’s son .
Written and executive produced by original series writers Matt Olmstead and Nick Wootton, the new drama will center on Andy Sipowicz’s (Dennis Franz’s) son Theo, as he tries to earn his detective shield and work in the 15th squad while investigating his Father’s Murder.

Jesse Bocho, son of “NYPD Blue” co-creator Steven Bocho, who died in April after a long battle with leukemia, will direct and executive produce. Dayna Bochco, Steven’s widow, will produce the drama, which hails from ABC Studios and 20th Century Fox TV."

OK Time To Add a few more "New" Old Shows now currently back in production, starting with:

DEXTER

*** Also in Production in San Francisco right now, is the return of
NASH BRIDGES
with Don Johnson, Cheech Marin, others & orig cast ....

The return of FRASIER (Kelsey Grammer etc) has been announced, and TRUE BLOOD is also coming back ...

Calista Flockhart is currently in talks to return to ALLY McBEAL ....

CRIMINAL MINDS,
canceled a year ago, will return on Paramount+ for at least 10 New Episodes ...

This thread makes me realize why, like @12thMan above, I don't watch a lot of TV beyond sports and maybe a couple things here and there.

It seems here recently that instead of trying to come up with new content, many studios are trying to latch on to the nostalgia train and take that for a ride. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, clearly enough folks are watching to make it profitable. The crutch of "reality TV" has made writers who can write an expensive commodity that studios realize they don't really need.

For me, even thinking back to the shows I watched and liked, I'm not certain I'd want more of that. I loved Frasier... but I don't want to see an old and maybe more bitter Frasier. Mad About You was super clever, but I'm satisfied with what we had. NYPD Blue: The Next Generation??? :rolleyes: At some point, are we just tuning in to see how all these folks aged?? :unsure:

That said, as I'm here complaining about reboots and re-hashes, I did fund the Kickstarter five years ago to bring back MST3K and have backed the newest one to help make more new episodes since Netflix decided they were done with the property. Maybe that still works as it's more a formula than a series per-se... that and it's close to how I watch TV as I wind up making riffs and comments in my mind (or out loud) anyways.

It seems here recently that instead of trying to come up with new content, many studios are trying to latch on to the nostalgia train and take that for a ride. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, clearly enough folks are watching to make it profitable. The crutch of "reality TV" has made writers who can write an expensive commodity that studios realize they don't really need.
It's not recent. TV and movie studios have been doing this for at least the last 15-20 years.

It's often considered a safer investment to reboot something that was popular once rather than create something new that may or may not succeed. And while art sometimes is made as a side effect, the studios are primarily interested in making something profitable.

That said, as I'm here complaining about reboots and re-hashes, I did fund the Kickstarter five years ago to bring back MST3K and have backed the newest one to help make more new episodes since Netflix decided they were done with the property. Maybe that still works as it's more a formula than a series per-se... that and it's close to how I watch TV as I wind up making riffs and comments in my mind (or out loud) anyways.
Hell yes! Though I have to admit I've gone more in the direction of Rifftrax than the MST3K reboot, I'm happy to see both are alive and well, and I've regularly funded Rifftrax Kickstarters for their live shows (and, of course, attended them).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom