Question from a newbie regarding difference in poker chips (1 Viewer)

jrivers010

Reaction score
I have recently been looking to buy a set to play for home games.

I've recently learned that there are sites that sell good quality chips. Which can range from 19 cents to 49 cents.

paulsons are considered top grade, but they dont sell to public anymore. which is why they are expensive.

so i recently learned about this site, and went to see whats for sale. But im seeing chips are selling for $1-$3 USD per chip?

but they dont appear to be paulson (i think? as usually the seller states paulsons).

i see one that says "Majestic Poker chips" for sale. Looking at them, they are (i believe?) $0.49 each. the seller on here, albeit they are different designs, are selling for $3 per chip.

all classified listings i see in general are in the 2-3 USD per chip.

whats the differences here? and how can i know?

Welcome! Stay here a while and remember that a fair price is whatever the person wants to buy it at. You're right that Paulsons are top of the market clays. Sometimes people dont bother labeling them Paulsons; an important difference is the mold, the shapes around the edge. If you see the acronyms THC or RHC, those are Paulsons as well.

When you say there are sites that sell good quality for 19 cents, most of us will disagree they are anywhere near good chips, but there are some quality chips around 50cent/chip for a set on here.

Some prices are way too high and sit forever, the ones that are too low get snatched up immediately, and we have a mix in between. I love the cheap ceramic chips, allows me to customize but they're far from nice clay Paulsons. Take your time, get samples and ask lots of questions.

I have recently been looking to buy a set to play for home games.

I've recently learned that there are sites that sell good quality chips. Which can range from 19 cents to 49 cents.

paulsons are considered top grade, but they dont sell to public anymore. which is why they are expensive.

so i recently learned about this site, and went to see whats for sale. But im seeing chips are selling for $1-$3 USD per chip?

but they dont appear to be paulson (i think? as usually the seller states paulsons).

i see one that says "Majestic Poker chips" for sale. Looking at them, they are (i believe?) $0.49 each. the seller on here, albeit they are different designs, are selling for $3 per chip.

all classified listings i see in general are in the 2-3 USD per chip.

whats the differences here? and how can i know?

Some Paulson sets sell for over $15/chip, there is a wide spread based on rarity, popularity etc.
Paulsons come in 2 varieties leaded and non leaded with a production shift to non leaded in the late 90's. So older chips are often leaded and feel slightly different than non leaded chips. Also there are various sized 39mm (standard) 36mm (often tourney chips) and 43mm + which are often speciality or high value chips. There are several molds on the edge of the chips with THC (top hat and cane being more desirable)and RHC (reverse hat and cane, newer more common mold)
There are hot stamp as well as labelled versions avail.

Ceramics are a custom option and domestically are high quality than overseas. BR pro makes custom chips for approx 70cents per chip....Chinese customs could cost about 35-40cents. Domestic producers are largely superior, consistent and able to reproduce chips for add on orders meanwhile overseas producers often change blank chips so that it is not always possible to over more exact copies of your chips.

Plastic chips are the cheapest options and I suggest shopping around if going with that option as many end up upgrading to better and it may be cheaper to just scout out a Paulson or Ceramic set that meets your needs.

What games do you play that the chips will be used for?

What is your budget?

I suggest different chips be used for tournaments and cash games if you can afford to for security reasons and preventing anyone from keeping tourney chips to play as cash.

Can you show us the link to these? That doesn't sound right

I think the Majestics you are talking about are actually mint Majestic Star $100's, which are fairly desirable Paulson chips.

Is this the ad in question?
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/majestic-mint-hundos-leaded.112101/

Basically, hang around and you'll start to figure out this stuff. There are good chips to be had in every price range. Some of the chips in the 20¢ are straight garbage, others are pretty nice. Take your time, look around, ask questions, and get samples.

Welcome to the forum!

I think the Majestics you are talking about are actually mint Majestic Star $100's, which are fairly desirable Paulson chips.

Is this the ad in question?
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/majestic-mint-hundos-leaded.112101/

Basically, hang around and you'll start to figure out this stuff. There are good chips to be had in every price range. Some of the chips in the 20¢ are straight garbage, others are pretty nice. Take your time, look around, ask questions, and get samples.

Welcome to the forum!
yup those were the ones i saw that prompted me to make this thread.

didnt realize they were also paulsons. I thought majestics were still the model.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom