Pub 72” vs 58” round (2 Viewers)

Which table?

• Total voters
Only in theory, in practice it helps quite a bit. Unless you have two fat asses like me sitting there then it doesn't matter what you do.

I've enjoyed the recent pics of your home game on the round. Round just seems to foster a more social environment and great for self dealt games.

It really does...so much that I'm constantly being the poker nazi reminding people its their turn to act!

Reaching in for pots is a valid point others are raising though. My dining table (not chanaman) is 47" and the odd time I need to stand.

In theory, I would prefer the round table. It always feels nicer and more friendly.

In practice, I think the pub table would work better. And you never know, there may be a rare occasion where you have a dealer, or a table captain that can sit in one of the middle spots and direct everything.

Now, the bigger question is, what felt design would work best with your choice? ;)

I have a 60 round and love it. I also have a few ovals but if there is space round is probably better for most games.

For a 10x12 room, I’d personally order a pub — maximizes space and IMO is more visually appealing.

I think round is better suited for a larger multi-function room where you can “hijack” extra space for game night.

Whatever decision you make, I’m sure it’ll be great.

Now, the bigger question is, what felt design would work best with your choice?
Exactly why I'm trying to nail the table down LOL
For a 10x12 room, I’d personally order a pub — maximizes space and IMO is more visually appealing.

I think round is better suited for a larger multi-function room where you can “hijack” extra space for game night.

Whatever decision you make, I’m sure it’ll be great.
I think you are right. I really want a round.... but pub is looking to make more and more sense. Hoping it's shape/size gives it a somewhat similar feel to a round.

So again, here are 2 variations ov an oval that seem to be a good compromise. One in the same dimensions as your pub table, and the other with a bit of extension to give a bit more room.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 21.04.11.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 21.04.11.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 114
Argument as old as time. Moving poker to another room. Room is 10’x12’.

Contemplating the 72”x45” pub table or a 58” round. 8 max is usually my game. I feel compelled to go round, but it’s been years since I’ve played on one.

Which table would you rather sit at in the space?
Alright, here's my 2 cents. While I LOVE round and octagon tables, I'd be concerned with the room size. I have a 60" octagon in a 10' wide room. It's very tight and only doable because the table is near a wide opening that opens up to the next room. In the pics below, I pushed the chairs in a bit to give you an idea of what you might have for room on a 58" table. You did say that you don't have large players, unlike mine who think man spreading is an olympic sport.

Anyway, I completely agree that round tables are awesome for increasing the social aspect, but I think the pub table would be a better fit for the room.

20220413_072133.jpg
20220413_072145.jpg
20220413_072156.jpg

Alright, here's my 2 cents. While I LOVE round and octagon tables, I'd be concerned with the room size. I have a 60" octagon in a 10' wide room. It's very tight and only doable because the table is near a wide opening that opens up to the next room. In the pics below, I pushed the chairs in a bit to give you an idea of what you might have for room on a 58" table. You did say that you don't have large players, unlike mine who think man spreading is an olympic sport.

Anyway, I completely agree that round tables are awesome for increasing the social aspect, but I think the pub table would be a better fit for the room.

View attachment 895277View attachment 895278View attachment 895279
Thanks man. That helps so much. Yea especially after seeing that, a shorter and fatter oval will probably accomplish my goals best and get closer to a circle feel than I am now.

Now the question - which legs on this thing? Was going to go heavy duty with gorilla but they are out of stock until mid summer at least

Now the question - which legs on this thing? Was going to go heavy duty with gorilla but they are out of stock until mid summer at least
I finally hosted on mine. It’s worth mentioning that I have the standard 68 inch size, and we only had 5 guys that night, but that was enough for me to have zero concerns with the cheapo legs. Sturdiness or stability were never a concern.

Late entry: neither. Go with fat ellipse or truncated ellipse (ends cut off). Best of both worlds.
Even for a smaller room? Cliff notes of benefits?

Edit: actually looks like the pub table is almost like a super ellipse? Maybe?

Last edited:
Even for a smaller room? Cliff notes of benefits?

Edit: actually looks like the pub table is almost like a super ellipse? Maybe?
Right? I've always understood the benefit of the ellipse was on bigger tables for 9 players and a dealer. But I'm always curious.
A fat or truncated ellipse offers the "roundness" of a round table with a similar shape as that of a pub table. No straight sides, so everyone has clear (or near clear) views of everyone else, and can fit in a room better than a round. Also, easier to self-deal than traditional ovals. Plus, they're cool.

A fat or truncated ellipse offers the "roundness" of a round table with a similar shape as that of a pub table. No straight sides, so everyone has clear (or near clear) views of everyone else, and can fit in a room better than a round. Also, easier to self-deal than traditional ovals. Plus, they're cool.
Would we just be lopping the ends off of all of out ovals, if it didn't present upholstery challenges?

Think it would be comfy with 8? I need to do some calculations. I wasn’t going to do 66 because it seemed so small but that doesn’t look terrible

Think it would be comfy with 8? I need to do some calculations. I wasn’t going to do 66 because it seemed so small but that doesn’t look terrible
I think it will be tolerable with 8. Everybody has their own definition of comfort. I think probably it will be fine when everybody’s sitting there playing. But maybe we’ll be tripping over each other when we’re getting up or sitting down?
Hopefully I’ll have 8 players next time (in 11 days) and I’ll be able to tell you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom