Preferred Table Diameter for 8 players (1 Viewer)

Preferred Diameter

• 50"

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 54"

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • 56"

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • 60"

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
54" for reach, 60" for elbow room. Voted 60" as anything over 48" round gets to be too far of a reach IMHO, so once you go big you might as well be comfortable (within reason).

For me it depends on player average size. My group is around 6’1 average and I’m 6’5. I built a 66” table with a 5” rail. This yielded a 54” playing surface. No problem reaching the center. If I was to do it again I’d go 72”.

Attachments

• C04FEFE1-2309-4369-B292-0271B1D38336.jpeg
    C04FEFE1-2309-4369-B292-0271B1D38336.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 154
I had played on 60” round tables with toppers on them for years. Plenty of elbow room but it can be require people to have to stand to rake pots. Also the bigger the table the more space it takes up in the room if that matters.

I’d build 60” with a pedestal base. The thing that bothered me the most about the plastic round tables was the folding legs. They were in the way for 6/8 people at the table.

Last edited:
I've got a 50" and it perfect for 6 can squeeze a 7 but it is a squeeze, no way I would want to try an 8th.

54" would be tight for 8 guys my size but doable if everyone wasn't large ie: my size.

60" would be tiresome having to stand up and stretch for pots IMO.

So I'd say 54"-56"

I built a 58" because I read about 60" being difficult to reach the center. I love the 58", but I wish it was 60". I don't remember anyone having any problem at all reaching the center.

58" is perfect for 7 people. I think 60 would be better for 8 people.

59in (150cm). :D
Just right for 8 people elbow-wise and just 75cm (less than 30in) from the rail to the centre, so that people 69in tall can still reach the latter without getting up.

Round tables are ideal, especially for self-dealt games, but they take up too much space for a given circumference / number of players. 8 players is the absolute maximum before they become dysfunctionally big.

Hexagons or Octagons take up less space for the same number of players, but feel odd when one or more players are missing.

60" is max.. I never had 8 players on it, but it would be tight...

The only problem is you tend to lift up to get the pot if you don't have help...

And even then, you get more player space with a round (if diameters are identical).
Why would you make the diameters identical? An octagon is more efficient than a circle because you can get the same amount of space per player with a shorter diameter. Translation - everybody's comfortable and everybody can reach the pots.
Only works well at max capacity.
I assure you, octagon tables work very well with only 6 or 7 players.

Why would you make the diameters identical? An octagon is more efficient than a circle because you can get the same amount of space per player with a shorter diameter. Translation - everybody's comfortable and everybody can reach the pots.

Wrong on both accounts. Ask around....

Explain this. When you have 6 players on a circle table, you spread out and get more room. With an octagon, do you stay in your spot and have less space, or do people spread out and deal with someone sitting on a point?

Wrong on both accounts. Ask around....
I don’t have to ask around about the first point because it’s scientific fact. Or geometrical fact. It’s a more efficient shape because it gives players more perimeter while keeping them closer to the middle.
as to the second point, yeah, everybody can spread out in a circle when the table isn’t full. Score a point for circles. Doesn’t mean the octagon plays bad short handed. I own one. I’ve played lots of 6-handed games on it. it’s fine. Seriously. If it’s fine for 8, it’s fine for 6.

Explain this. When you have 6 players on a circle table, you spread out and get more room. With an octagon, do you stay in your spot and have less space, or do people spread out and deal with someone sitting on a point?
You stay in your spot. The people broadening the empty seat may speak out a bit, but that’s not the point.
The point is that if the octagon is big enough to sit 8 comfortably, then everybody’s still sitting comfortably if one leaves. Dave said it only works well at max capacity. Well if it’s working well at max capacity, it doesn’t work any less well if somebody leaves.
Yes the players can more efficiently use the table space of a circle by spreading out when it isn’t full. Maybe you all are playing at tiny circles and are dying to spread out. My point is, we don’t need to spread.
And we’re closer to the middle than we’d be in a circle

Man, I think all this time at home is getting under everyone's skin. Knives are flashing over 54" vs. 60" and round vs. octagon. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I used to own a 60" round, and it was pretty comfortable for 8-9 players, but most had to stand up to reach the middle. Not me, of course, because I'm huge and have gorilla arms.

This is about 45” x 55”. The curves are a slightly bowed out ellipse. This gives about 20” of perimeter per player. It should feel roomier than 20” on a racetrack, though, because straightaways are tighter at the elbows than seating on a curve.

I favor variations on these shapes because the sight lines are better than a racetrack, but there is more room for gameplay and players, without requiring as much reaching as a round 55” table. It’s a nice compromise:

85E518BB-230B-4533-8441-562A25F252D6.jpeg

Anyway, the shape generator is interesting to play with. Unfortunately this one is only in centimeters, but you can always do the conversion yourself:

http://www.procato.com/superellipse/

Last edited:
Here’s one at 47” x 57”:

00358C8D-7FF7-4755-B1CB-EC41B4DFBFC7.jpeg

This is more like 21” raw perimeter per player, but a more spacious seat area in practice.

Last point — you can sit 8 players two different ways at a superellipse. One is at the points of a compass (N/NE/E/SE/S/SW/W) and the other is offset in between these positions, as in the very rough diagram below:

1505AD34-7D31-4D60-9F7F-E4CD61B7CEB7.jpeg

This lessens the maximum length of a reach to the center, where the chips and cards are, because no one is sitting at the longest span (W and E). But it diminishes the sight lines, when looking at a player immediately to your left or right.

Last point — you can sit 8 players two different ways at a superellipse. One is at the points of a compass (N/NE/E/SE/S/SW/W) and the other is offset in between these positions, as in the very rough diagram below:

View attachment 530969

This lessens the maximum length of a reach to the center, where the chips and cards are, because no one is sitting at the longest span (W and E). But it diminishes the sight lines, when looking at a player immediately to your left or right.
I like this. This might be the answer (not that this was the original poster’s question.). Ive never played on an ellipse, but it makes sense. I think a circle is perfect for 6, and octagon is perfect for 8, and for 9 or more, you need and ellipse or an oval or a kidney thing. But what you’re saying, an ellipse might be better than a circle and an octagon - i’d like to try it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom