Pokémon card PSA grading/authentication (1 Viewer)

heisman

Two Pair
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience getting trading cards, specifically Pokémon cards, appraised/graded/authenticated? At home looking at my childhood collection and I think I’ve got a pretty valuable card, 1st edition, and looks 9, even 10-graded. This is a whole new world to me and my experience is just limited to an hour or two of research from earlier this morning. Looking to see if anyone’s familiar with the trading card world and is able to enlighten me on their experiences and generally the whole process. Can post pics if anyone’s curious.

No clue about grading, but my friends were talking about this last night. I know I had a bunch of the first editions that would have been worth a fortune today, but I sold them for cash way back when. Wish I'd had the foresight as a schoolkid to keep them lol

Which one do you have?

Got a 1st ed Lugia and another unlimited Lugia. 1st ed PSA 9-10s have been sold on eBay between 5-12k in the past week. There’s also one OBO for 150k right now. I’ve got not clue where to start lol

I was born in 1990, and I am pretty sure I have a few first edition Charzards. Gotta find my collection! I have binders full!

I know we have a few serious sports card collectors around, and I’d imagine some gamer types too.

It might not be a bad start to try searching for those topics, in terms of finding people, if others don’t chime in here first.

There's a store right near me that specializes in Magic and Pokemon cards (and used to host tournaments pre-Covid) as well as board games. There might be a similar store near you that could help out. I think the Gaming Goat chain started in Chicago.

I just got my son a starter set of Pokemon cards for his birthday and we're trying to learn how to play. I know jack squat about Pokemon though. My deck has Pikachu and I recognize that guy.

I know we have a few serious sports card collectors around, and I’d imagine some gamer types too.

It might not be a bad start to try searching for those topics, in terms of finding people, if others don’t chime in here first.
That’s what I figured as well. I’ll look around and see but thought I’d start a thread before I begin harassing folks about pokemon LOL

There's a store right near me that specializes in Magic and Pokemon cards (and used to host tournaments pre-Covid) as well as board games. There might be a similar store near you that could help out. I think the Gaming Goat chain started in Chicago.
Just hit up a local trading card store near me (currently in MI). Going to see if those guys have anything to say tomorrow so we’ll see

Card in question:

1607985712973.jpeg

1607985743734.jpeg

Pokemon and card collecting. Two of my favorite things.

1) Most people think their cards are in better condition than they are. Especially old Pokemon cards and especially holos which scratch super easy. Most cards come out of the pack a PSA 9. If they have been sitting around for 20+ years likely better to expect 8, 8.5, and 9s at best and be pleasantly surprised if they come back better than that. People look at sharp edges and think they have great cards but don't check the backs for scratches or the other tiny little issues that occur.

People literally send unopen packs to PSA and tell them to grade everything inside and get 8.5s back.

2) There is usually a huge drop off in value between a 9 and a 9.5 or 10 on rare expensive modern cards. Serious collectors want them mint or don't want them.

3) Beckett and PSA are both your best bets for grading. Beckett charges 15-30 a card and has deals with a lot of local hobby shops and go to shows so you can avoid having to mail them in. PSA will make you mail them in and charge you an arm and a leg for the grading if they are valuable. Beckett was at a card show I went to in October and a bunch of people were getting Pokemon cards graded.

4) Do it now. There is about to be a huge drop off once people realize they are spending thousands of dollars on cards that are now being flooded in the market.

5) People aren't paying thousands of dollars to random ebayers. They are paying those prices from trusted stores and auction houses who will charge you 20% of the final sale. Just note that if you do get lucky and have grail cards this will be your unfortunate best course of action.

You may now send me a free Squirtle card in exchange for this information*.

*you don't really need to do that

@Zmasterben thank you so much for that write up—exactly what I was looking for. Hope you don’t mind if I PM you later with any questions. I’ll dig around for some squirtles as well :tup:

I just got my son a starter set of Pokemon cards for his birthday and we're trying to learn how to play. I know jack squat about Pokemon though. My deck has Pikachu and I recognize that guy.

When I was 10 it was 1997 and Pokemon just came out and was right up my alley as I love collecting things. I was collecting the original cards but unfortunately most were lost or destroyed by my grubby little hands long ago.

20 years later I decided, you know what? I am going to learn how to actually play the game finally!

I recommend you and your son learn the rules on the official Pokemon TCG app that is freemium but can be played free. It was how I learned the actual rules.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/download/

The game tells you what moves are legal and stops you from doing any illegal actions. Over time this gets ingrained in your head and you stop trying to do stupid things like trying to play two supporter cards in one turn.

I am not a dumb guy but when It comes to remembering a million little rules in a card game I just can't handle it. The online version holds your hand regarding these rules.

Thanks @Zmasterben! I got a beginners set that came with 2 balanced decks, some playmats (actually just pieces of paper, but still helpful), and some basic rules. I kept running into questions that the rules didn't answer though, and it slowed things down as I tried to google the answers. Like I got a Pokemon that had an ability, and I wasn't sure if I could use that when he was on the bench or only when he was activated or whatever they call it. And some of the symbols on these cards are TINY! Good thing I have an appointment with the eye doctor next month. I might need bifocals to play this. :LOL: :laugh:

@Zmasterben thank you so much for that write up—exactly what I was looking for. Hope you don’t mind if I PM you later with any questions. I’ll dig around for some squirtles as well :tup:

Feel free. I am not a Pokemon card market expert but I can help the best I can.

I took a look at the Lugia cards sold recently on eBay and it looks like people are going the Beckett route which doesn't surprise me. PSA kind of priced themselves out of the market and are usually used by businesses who get huge discounts instead of individuals.

It looks like 8s still go for around 2-3 grand but you need to make sure you have the right kind of holo if I remember correctly. Beckett will charge you 15 or 25 depending on your desired turn around.

https://www.beckett.com/grading/compare-our-services

Thanks @Zmasterben! I got a beginners set that came with 2 balanced decks, some playmats (actually just pieces of paper, but still helpful), and some basic rules. I kept running into questions that the rules didn't answer though, and it slowed things down as I tried to google the answers. Like I got a Pokemon that had an ability, and I wasn't sure if I could use that when he was on the bench or only when he was activated or whatever they call it. And some of the symbols on these cards are TINY! Good thing I have an appointment with the eye doctor next month. I might need bifocals to play this. :LOL: :laugh:

Pokemon with abilities on your bench still work unless it says otherwise on the card.

or there is a stadium card in play that negates it.
or you or your opponent has a Pokemon in play with an ability that cancels out the ability.
or you or your opponent has a Pokemon in play that turns off all abilities.
or your opponent plays a supporter that turns off your ability.
or your opponent plays an item card that temporarily turns off the ability for one turn.
or..

You know what forget it I am done

I have hundreds of these cards... should probably sell them lol all in sleeves in binders

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom