Demystifying Faded Spade 3.0 (3 Viewers)

Split

Two Pair
Reaction score
With Faded Spade being discussed again, I figure that now is as good a time as any to share my observations about Faded Spade 3.0. When I first learned of Faded Spade upon my return to PCF last year, I thought it was great that there was another player in the playing card business. The buzz on PCF seemed to indicate that Faded Spade may be manufacturing their own cards and were making changes each generation to improve their product. I don’t have any insights about their version 1.0 and 2.0 products, but I assess with a high degree of confidence that Faded Spade 3.0 cards are made by Kuo Kau Paper Products.

Kuo Kau is perhaps best known here for their Royal line of cards, which are a rather unimpressive line on 0.27mm glossy stock. Those who are a bit more familiar with them may also know them as the manufacturer of the Marion Pro line of cards, which is on their nicer 0.31mm matte finish stock. I received my first Marion Pro setup shortly after my first time handling Faded Spade 3.0 cards, and it was immediately obvious that the cards are the same texture. Can you see any difference in the texture of the face side of the two cards below?

IMG_6433.JPG

Here’s a similar shot of the card backs, showing Marion Pro on the left and Faded Spade 3.0 on the right.

IMG_6436.JPG

You can also see in the pic below that they both use the same bright white material for their cards. The card on the bottom is a Fournier 2826 for comparison. I don’t think I have any decks that use as bright of a white as Kuo Kao does.

IMG_6431.JPG

If you’ve handled both Marion Pro and Faded Spade decks, you may have noticed that the Faded Spades are stiffer. If you stack them side by side, you can also see that they’re thicker. One of Kuo Kau’s other stock offerings is 0.34mm thick with a matte finish, which matches the thickness of Faded Spade 3.0 exactly. I would wager that the new Midnight edition will be on Kuo Kau’s 0.31mm thick black matte finish stock.

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 20-35-45 Paper Playing Cards Plastic Playing Cards - Kuo Kau Paper Pr...png

IMG_6428.JPG

IMG_6429.JPG

There’s one more reasonably compelling piece of evidence, and that’s the Faded Spade Old School line. I don’t own any of these cards, and I can’t find some of the pictures that Faded Spade used to have on their website, but luckily for us @JoeBGo posted this pic of a couple of the face cards:

8940F937-13AD-42EC-B18D-118A8370561E.jpeg

Although Faded Spade clearly provided their own artwork for the ace of spades, jokers, and the card back, the other cards seem to use a version of the stock Kuo Kau artwork with the Kuo Kau logo removed and sometimes other minor touch-ups or differences in the rendering of the artwork. Playing card designs have a long history of being copied and most derive from a common heritage which results in many similarities, but these are so similar that it seems likely that they used the same artwork as a base.

IMG_6444.JPG

I’m not aware of Kuo Kau offering a RFID option, so it’s possible that those are custom for Faded Spade. It’s also possible that they use a different manufacturer for the RFID decks. It’s even possible that they don’t use Kuo Kau at all, but I think the evidence is overwhelming.

I think it’s great that there’s another choice in the playing card world. If you like the design of Faded Spade, they’re obviously the only option. If you like the feel of Faded Spade 3.0 but wish it was a little more flexible, a little cheaper, or a little more traditional in appearance, you may want to consider a stock Kuo Kau offering on their 0.31mm matte finish like the Marion Pro line. If you hate Faded Spade, you can use this to support your argument that they’re just a marketing company with some artwork. Since they’re the only product I’m aware of using the 0.34mm thick Kuo Kau stock, I personally appreciate that there’s another card material and design on the market, even if it’s not the right option for me.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Last edited:
I have been using faded spade 3.0 weekly for about 2 months now. I was skeptical because of the bad press it gets here but I must say I like the look and feel and have not had any issues thus far like splitting or warping. So far I am happy with them except the price is a little too steep.

With Faded Spade being discussed again, I figure that now is as good a time as any to share my observations about Faded Spade 3.0. When I first learned of Faded Spade upon my return to PCF last year, I thought it was great that there was another player in the playing card business. The buzz on PCF seemed to indicate that Faded Spade may be manufacturing their own cards and were making changes each generation to improve their product. I don’t have any insights about their version 1.0 and 2.0 products, but I assess with a high degree of confidence that Faded Spade 3.0 cards are made by Kuo Kau Paper Products.

Kuo Kau is perhaps best known here for their Royal line of cards, which are a rather unimpressive line on 0.27mm glossy stock. Those who are a bit more familiar with them may also know them as the manufacturer of the Marion Pro line of cards, which is on their nicer 0.31mm matte finish stock. I received my first Marion Pro setup shortly after my first time handling Faded Spade 3.0 cards, and it was immediately obvious that the cards are the same texture. Can you see any difference in the texture of the face side of the two cards below?

View attachment 1166221

Here’s a similar shot of the card backs, showing Marion Pro on the left and Faded Spade 3.0 on the right.

View attachment 1166222

You can also see in the pic below that they both use the same bright white material for their cards. The card on the bottom is a Fournier 2826 for comparison. I don’t think I have any decks that use as bright of a white as Kuo Kao does.

View attachment 1166223

If you’ve handled both Marion Pro and Faded Spade decks, you may have noticed that the Faded Spades are stiffer. If you stack them side by side, you can also see that they’re thicker. One of Kuo Kau’s other stock offerings is 0.34mm thick with a matte finish, which matches the thickness of Faded Spade 3.0 exactly. I would wager that the new Midnight edition will be on Kuo Kau’s 0.31mm thick black matte finish stock.

View attachment 1166228

View attachment 1166224

View attachment 1166225

There’s one more reasonably compelling piece of evidence, and that’s the Faded Spade Old School line. I don’t own any of these cards, and I can’t find some of the pictures that Faded Spade used to have on their website, but luckily for us @JoeBGo posted this pic of a couple of the face cards:

View attachment 1166226

Although Faded Spade clearly provided their own artwork for the ace of spades, jokers, and the card back, the other cards seem to use a version of the stock Kuo Kau artwork with the Kuo Kau logo removed and sometimes other minor touch-ups or differences in the rendering of the artwork. Playing card designs have a long history of being copied and most derive from a common heritage which results in many similarities, but these are so similar that it seems likely that they used the same artwork as a base.

View attachment 1166227

I’m not aware of Kuo Kau offering a RFID option, so it’s possible that those are custom for Faded Spade. It’s also possible that they use a different manufacturer for the RFID decks. It’s even possible that they don’t use Kuo Kau at all, but I think the evidence is overwhelming.

I think it’s great that there’s another choice in the playing card world. If you like the design of Faded Spade, they’re obviously the only option. If you like the feel of Faded Spade 3.0 but wish it was a little more flexible, a little cheaper, or a little more traditional in appearance, you may want to consider a stock Kuo Kau offering on their 0.31mm matte finish like the Marion Pro line. If you hate Faded Spade, you can use this to support your argument that they’re just a marketing company with some artwork. Since they’re the only product I’m aware of using the 0.34mm thick Kuo Kau stock, I personally appreciate that there’s another card material and design on the market, even if it’s not the right option for me.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
Very interesting!! Thanks for the deep dive.

The closeup pictures of texture, I can't do much with without comparisons to others at that magnification, I just have no frame of reference to speak to how they should or shouldn't look at that close-up. You're right, they look similar, but I'm unsure of how similar others would look that feel different. Also the oldschool look is pretty universal, like you said they're all based on very similar artwork.

All in all, seems you're spot on, thanks for doing your homework, wow. Great work.

But, according to them, Faded Spade 1.0 was a perfect product. They did the most miniscule change for 2.0 which is strange because you can't improve on perfection, and then somewhere along the way they got to 3.0 and aren't offering any of the 1.0 or 2.0 anymore, and any complaints of manufacturing defects are just ignored.

It's just a hype machine as far as I'm concerned.

I can't figure out if FS is a clothing company that also sells cards or are they a card company that also sells clothing? They offer way more clothing than they do cards. Very strange website.

I can't figure out if FS is a clothing company that also sells cards or are they a card company that also sells clothing? They offer way more clothing than they do cards. Very strange website.
Its their brand strategy, flood the cardrooms with their cards and merch. Lots of those items they'll be giving away as well.

I really like the artwork and it’s great in the Shuffle tech, but shuffling and self dealing them…they are way too stiff.

I love the artwork but the cards are really stiff. I don't own any myself but I believe resorts world poker room is using them. The cards are so stiff, their shuffle machines have bowed the cards. I'm not worried about cards getting marked by the machine since the bowing is consistent on all 52 cards. I think it's just an aesthetic thing for me. Plastic cards shouldn't bow. (I'll take a photo when I'm there this weekend if I make it to RW.) Other than that, I'd really like to handle them, see how they riffle because the stiffness worries me that they'll cause fatigue.

We've been using version 2.0 on-and-off for our games, and when version 3.0 was announced, I jumped on the bandwagon.

I'm disappointed in them. The 2.0 are still as flat as the day I got them and the 3.0 literally curled up after one 6-hour session. Maybe I got a bad batch, I dunno, but I'm not buying anymore until version 4.0 comes out.

We've been using version 2.0 on-and-off for our games, and when version 3.0 was announced, I jumped on the bandwagon.

I'm disappointed in them. The 2.0 are still as flat as the day I got them and the 3.0 literally curled up after one 6-hour session. Maybe I got a bad batch, I dunno, but I'm not buying anymore until version 4.0 comes out.
I've felt ones perfectly flat but I've felt others that had bowed, which is incredible because the cards feel like tombstones they're so thick.

Figures. This company is very distasteful in their marketing and it doesn’t help that their product sucks. I’m either a big fan or agnostic about almost all poker related products but I really don’t like this company.

As a card junkie I would love more card manufacturers but FS was a massive disappointment. Of the 35+ setups I have sampling most of the manufacturers out there, this is the only product that didn’t make it one orbit around the table in a game.

Last edited:
Figures. This company is very distasteful in their marketing and it doesn’t help that their product sucks. I’m either a big fan or agnostic about almost all poker related products but I really don’t like this company.

As a card junkie I would love more card manufacturers but FS was a massive disappointment. Of the 35+ setups I have sampling mist of the manufacturers out there, this is the only product that didn’t make it one orbit around the table in a game.
Same here. To each their own but I have no idea how people like the 3.0's. With just a few minutes of shuffling and pitching around my table to get a feel for them, they already started to bow and turn into taco shells. They were a step in the wrong direction after the 2.0's.

The 2.0's are the best in terms of maintaining their shape, but they lasted 3 hands before most of the table requested a deck change due to their slickness. I brought out desjgn and no complaints at all afterwards.

Can you all show pics of the bowing I don't think I am seeing it on mine.
I hand shuffle them and it is not bad for me but YMMV.

Can you all show pics of the bowing I don't think I am seeing it on mine.
I hand shuffle them and it is not bad for me but YMMV.
Sold mine, but its less about seeing more about feeling. Its when, instead of sitting flat, the cards bend upwards or downwards at the edges, leading to space between it and the table. Other than just aesthetics and feel, it also makes them tougher to deal: bowed down towards the table and it catches/doesn't slide, bowed upwards and its more likely to flip and cause a misdeal.

Easiest way to visualize is take half the deck and flip it over, place it back on the rest; the space between the two halves will show you how bowed the deck is.

These are mine after 25+ uses, and they do not feel anymore bowed than the countless other brands I have. I must say I did not get these by choice it was a player who wanted to try and i went in with a similar attitude as many of not liking the company. However my experience with the cards is on par with other brands I am using.

20231121_175934.jpg

20231121_180000.jpg

This photo was taken at the resorts world this past summer. IDK what version these are though but you can see where there's a gap between the middle of the AT cards and the table. BTW I'm only guessing these are FS since it's on their web site they supply cards to RW.
20230619_200422.jpg

These are mine after 25+ uses, and they do not feel anymore bowed than the countless other brands I have. I must say I did not get these by choice it was a player who wanted to try and i went in with a similar attitude as many of not liking the company. However my experience with the cards is on par with other brands I am using.

View attachment 1228471
View attachment 1228472
The little curl on the corners is what I and others am referring to. See how the corners are off the table and aren't flush with it?

Yeah, the edges of those cards look like they're above the table. I'm very lucky to have a few solid decks that haven't bowed at all. Fournier are much flatter for me, bicycle prestige show no sign of bowing after years and years of use, etc. You can get used to it, sure, but we're snobs.

This photo was taken at the resorts world this past summer. IDK what version these are though but you can see where there's a gap between the middle of the AT cards and the table. BTW I'm only guessing these are FS since it's on their web site they supply cards to RW.View attachment 1228470
Yup, those are FS, their "classic" or whatever.

View attachment 1228471
View attachment 1228472
Take the bottom half of the black deck and turn it down towards the table, then put the top half back on. The gap between the two should be clear with those edges.

EDIT: Found a pic of mine
20230322_175007.jpg
20230322_173958.jpg

^and from that same hall of shame, these were also included: these were sold to me as very good with minimal to no bowing. Shame on their family.

I guess i am not as teiggered by it.
It is way betterbthan my fournier on the right side.

20231121_181307.jpg

I have 8 other decks of Fournier just like it.
It is just super annoying trying to figure out my next goto cards not super happy with any of them, FS, Fournier, Desjgn, I wanted to love Broken Arrow but my group had so much trouble with the suits I had to pull them mid game. I wanted to try Bicycle but cannot seem to find Bridge Jumbo, Hated Kem since they sold to USPC, always hated Copeg they are like bottom for me. Hate Modiano cause they Aholes ... so many others but you all get the idea. What's a guy to do who wants bridge jumbo plastic cards?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom