Demystifying Faded Spade 3.0 (2 Viewers)

I have 8 other decks of Fournier just like it.
It is just super annoying trying to figure out my next goto cards not super happy with any of them, FS, Fournier, Desjgn, I wanted to love Broken Arrow but my group had so much trouble with the suits I had to pull them mid game. I wanted to try Bicycle but cannot seem to find Bridge Jumbo, Hated Kem since they sold to USPC, always hated Copeg they are like bottom for me. Hate Modiano cause they Aholes ... so many others but you all get the idea. What's a guy to do who wants bridge jumbo plastic cards?
Bridge Jumbos: old KEMs, Broken Arrows (tough spade/club difference though). What didn't you like about bridge desjgn?

I have 8 other decks of Fournier just like it.
It is just super annoying trying to figure out my next goto cards not super happy with any of them, FS, Fournier, Desjgn, I wanted to love Broken Arrow but my group had so much trouble with the suits I had to pull them mid game. I wanted to try Bicycle but cannot seem to find Bridge Jumbo, Hated Kem since they sold to USPC, always hated Copeg they are like bottom for me. Hate Modiano cause they Aholes ... so many others but you all get the idea. What's a guy to do who wants bridge jumbo plastic cards?
Where are you storing your cards? Are they exposed to lots of heat and humidity? I only ask because I haven't seen any Fourniers bowed like that, ever.

I liked and used the bridge desjgn for a while before these FS but I could not seem to find them last I looked, similar to bicycle. I asked him on the forum if he had any GB plans coming up but seemed like no.

prob more heat and humidity than normal inside your house since it is my garage but on the coldest day it is 45 and the hottest day it is 80 in the garage 90% of the time it is 55-75, humidity again more than inside but not too bad and no direct sunlight. I have cards stored inside that are exactly the same so I do not think that it is playing a huge role.

that link ... 40+ though for a double deck right, that seem egregious
For two sets. $40 shipped for 4 decks, very reasonable IMO

prob more heat and humidity than normal inside your house since it is my garage but on the coldest day it is 45 and the hottest day it is 80 in the garage 90% of the time it is 55-75, humidity again more than inside but not too bad and no direct sunlight. I have cards stored inside that are exactly the same so I do not think that it is playing a huge role.
That's your answer. Don't store cards or chips in the garage otherwise the NJ humidity will get to 'em from May until September.

Store some in your main house and guarantee the Fourniers at least won't bow like that!

no choice my whole setup is the garage it is the price I pay to be able to host every week without bothering my family but there is heat and AC. I have Fournier's inside as well from when we played in basement and they are the same it just happens to them when they are used a bunch same way it happens to all brands when used a bunch in my experience.

This is majority of currnt card inventory.
There are 2 piatniks in there too but both blue so never put in real play, would like to try them. Been mostly FS in use for the last few months.

20231121_185352.jpg

This is probably the worst possible scenario for storing cards. I mean the worst of the worst.

As you may know from my many posts I have a lot of cards…all the major makers. Only acetate cards, Kem being the most well known, will sometimes bow or warp in any environment…but almost definitely in humidity. I store all mine upside down with a cut card and dealer button on top. Haven’t had a deck bow in almost 15 years.

Other decks made or PVC will sometimes rarely take a very slight bow but it’s completely random and unpredictable.

The only brands I’ve had the have never taken even a slight bow are Fournier, Copag (they bleed though), DaVinci, and Guild. But many of these feel cheap…so they have never been my favorites. I hated my deck of Faded Soades so much I didn’t use them enough to see if they would bow with usage

no choice my whole setup is the garage it is the price I pay to be able to host every week without bothering my family but there is heat and AC. I have Fournier's inside as well from when we played in basement and they are the same it just happens to them when they are used a bunch same way it happens to all brands when used a bunch in my experience.
Hey friend, always a choice lol. Not saying you have to have games inside, but the vast majority of time your cards are sitting not doing anything. Bring those bad boys in and hide them somewhere where they don't get the big swings in humidity and temp, will be much easier to keep them happy.

I have heat and AC and keep it within a respectable tolerance out there so no big swings, those number before are what it would be with no heat or AC and even that is not terrible but granted humidity would be worse. Anyway that particular warped Fournier deck is an inside deck and never been out there, likewise I have garage decks in much better shape it is just a matter of use. I am not saying that heat and humidity do not matter but let's forget that for a min and my point is all things equal it seems all brands somewhat curl after a certain threshold of use. Maybe FS has less a threshold, I am not sure, but seems to be about the same as others I have seen thus far in my limited 4 double deck use over a few months time with weekly use.

So why are my FS garage decks in much better curling shape then @NotRealNameNoSir pics? Who knows maybe his are much more used or maybe there is another variable like production run and luck of the draw. Or maybe shipping temps and humidity? Too many unknows to know for sure.

Sure, but conversation really breaks down when we're told not to consider variables that we know affect the issue, and then have to agree to a sentence that they all "somewhat curl" after a "certain threshold". Yes, I can agree that time affects every card at certain thresholds differently somewhat in some way, guess we'll never know! I'm being sarcastic because, yes, there are other variables at play but that doesn't mean we can't consider limiting some of them. Everyone dies, some earlier than others, but exposure to anthrax really speeds up the process.

And as for your cards being better than the ones I've shown, those were the worst I'd ever held from a user here who didn't refund me and went into hiding, so don't use those as a comparison. His whole house must be bent, lookin like a Seuss book.

so I am not guarantying I will do this cause running a game is hard enough when you have a wife, kids, house, job ... but anyway I have a weekly 2 table cash game. Would be cool to start with new cards and use x brand at 1 table and y brand at the other. Would be stored the same and used about the same and see how they progress over time with same variables that we can control.

FS is all hype hype hype. I don't dislike them as much as i used to since I changed my shuffling technique, but almost every other card brand out there feels better in the hand. If I dealt FS out of a shoe I would probably complain less. That's what I do with my Copags and have not had a problem with fading or bleed.

Can you all show pics of the bowing I don't think I am seeing it on mine.
I hand shuffle them and it is not bad for me but YMMV.
Here's a comparison between the 3.0 (left) and 2.0 (right).

We've only used the 3.0s for a couple hours, probably 6 hours at most. The 2.0s have been used on-and-off in the last year or so.

20231123_141618.jpg
20231123_141755.jpg

Also, the temperature, humidity, and just general conditions didn't really change. Moreover, I'm the only one that dealt both sets of cards, so no variance in dealers. I get that all cards will warp to a degree, but just after 6 hours given how stiff they are compared to KEMs, Copags, Desjgns, or Modianos. More pictures, I guess.

Usage in the past year: Modiano > FS (2.0) > Copag > KEM > Desjsn

20231123_144003.jpg
20231123_144047.jpg

Anyone know what stock Queen uses? They are produced by the same manufacturer

He didn’t really review them other than say they are a little more flexible and talks about the finish. He admits he hasn’t used them and hopes to enjoy them in the future. Should maybe have waited until he used them for several games
As for a youtube product I consider that one decent...

Why not riffle riffle strip riffle? Is that not enough? (not being sarcastic)

You will need to define what your goal is to determine what is "enough". You need at least 7+ riffles to re-randomize a deck. Sometimes you need to balance achieving randomness with the time it takes to do so. Your choice where the inflection point of efficiency lies.

You will need to define what your goal is to determine what is "enough". You need at least 7+ riffles to re-randomize a deck. Sometimes you need to balance achieving randomness with the time it takes to do so. Your choice where the inflection point of efficiency lies.
I’m all for making a deck as random as possible but since no one at my home game knows how to shuffle right I have no one shuffling behind making everything take more time

I’ve personally done an experiment with ordering cards from Kuo Kau late last year. Unsurprisingly, they are not able to provide me with 0.34 mm textured cards exactly like the faded spade ones. The samples they sent me, which were a pain in the ass to get in the first place, were even STIFFER than the FS 3.0s. They immediately went into the bin. I would avoid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom