Poker Chip Shipping Tips and Tricks (3 Viewers)

I have to think there's enough packages going from Los Angeles to Canada that there would be enough bulk not to warrant being bundled into a package that has to traverse the Atlantic! But that explanation does make sense. I guess we will just wait it out...
We also have a package going from Nashville to Vancouver. It's currently in Florida. I guess it wanted to get some sun.

It would be interesting to ship a box with a GPS and a camera to film the journey.

I'm having an odd opposite issue, in a way. I'm sending a package to Canada for @philhut and it has inadvertently made its way to your nordic neighbor two countries over:

View attachment 1238624
Holy cow, @philhut, it's in country!

1703130803921.png

And it's expected to be delivered tomorrow!

1703130772982.png

Hope it had a nice time in Finland...

I tried to mail a poker chip today using the trick of putting it between two paper playing cards and in a normal envelope. I asked at PO to pay for nonmachinable surcharge. PO rep looked at me suspiciously and asked what is in it. I said a poker chip. She said she could not take it, that I would need to send it as a package.

This happened to anyone else?

I have mailed a number of singles using an envelope and cardboard (from a cereal box). I didn't bother asking for non-machinable. They all arrived safely (as far as I know).

I tried to mail a poker chip today using the trick of putting it between two paper playing cards and in a normal envelope. I asked at PO to pay for nonmachinable surcharge. PO rep looked at me suspiciously and asked what is in it. I said a poker chip. She said she could not take it, that I would need to send it as a package.

Yes, this has happened to me almost every time when I took an envelope (with chips) to the front counter at my local post office. The rep always tells me it's a 'package' and tries to charge the package rates.

However, if I just put the stamps on ahead of time, including the butterfly stamp for non-machineable or odd size envelopes, and drop the envelope in the mail slot, I've never had an issue -- the mail has always been delivered. The downside is there's just no tracking this way.

In addition to the butterfly stamp, I'll usually write "non-machineable surcharge paid" on the envelope. Also, if you're mailing more then one chip, you may need to add some extra postage -- there are "extra ounce" stamps that i bought a sheet of before. (I recall mailing 4 chips in the same envelope this way, before I hit the weight limit for an envelope).

envelope- non machineable-ed.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, this has happened to me almost every time when I took an envelope (with chips) to the front counter at my local post office. The rep always tells me it's a 'package' and tries to charge the package rates.

However, if I just put the stamps on ahead of time, including the butterfly stamp for non-machineable or odd size envelopes, and drop the envelope in the mail slot, I've never had an issue -- the mail has always been delivered. The downside is there's just no tracking this way.

In addition to the butterfly stamp, I'll usually write "non-machineable surcharge paid" on the envelope. Also, if you're mailing more then one chip, you may need to add some extra postage -- there are "extra ounce" stamps that i bought a sheet of before. (I recall mailing 4 chips in the same envelope this way, before I hit the weight limit for an envelope).

View attachment 1261050

He took the words out of my mouth. This right here. Also no need to go to the post office when using this method. Slap it in your mailbox and call it a day. This combined with PirateShit for package labels, you’ll never have to step foot in a physical location again.

Yep. Once paid $18 to send a single chip to Canada. :(

Buy the non-machinable stamps in advance, put the envelope in the mailbox/mail drop. Never take it to the counter.

Just another public service announcement and request for all shippers to at minimum put a strip of packing tape down each corner of a shipping box:

View attachment 1261429

Fortunately, no chips were lost when I received this at the beginning of the year.
I think Tommy showed his technique several pages back but putting a box without the top flaps inside another box plus corner taping is even more ideal if one has the time.

Watch those packages fall a few feet from conveyor belt to bins with the new machines USPS is installing.

Have anyone tried to lower the "value" of the shipment from etc china when importing in order to lower the taxes through customs?

Hey, folks, I really can't emphasize this enough. Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty please, with a cherry on top and a sprinkle of unicorn dust... refrain from going all Picasso with the packing tape around the inner portion of your parcels, whether they're snug in a bubble mailer, a Warneke box, or a mystery package from Narnia. Seriously, resist the urge to turn them into tape mummies. It's like you're daring fate to mess with your stuff using scissors or some other sharp object, turning opening the package into a medieval quest. The only time you should be tape-happy is when you're securing the package itself, you know, to deter both thieves and the Hulk from smashing your chips. Help a reshipper out guys. I swear to you that just a little bit of painters tape or even a small piece of packing tape will do the job on the inside.

Please don't do this.

JPEG image-525D37C3568B-1.jpeg

or this...

JPEG image-0FDAC375A77C-1.jpeg

Anyone trying the new (I think?) UPS Ground Saver service? I went to send a package today in a padded flat rate envelope, and got this option. Seems like it's going to be slower, but saves a couple bucks. This is within the ShipStation ap that's connected with PayPal. Also unsure what packaging I would use. I do enjoy having free delivery of free padded envelopes and other USPS supplies. So may not save that much in the long run.

1710002802748.png

I use Ground Advantage exclusively now. Downside is you need your own boxes. But it is way cheaper. Especially with PirateShip.

I use Ground Advantage exclusively now. Downside is you need your own boxes. But it is way cheaper. Especially with PirateShip.
What's the difference between Ground Advantage and Ground Saver?

I checked out PirateShip a few months ago and didn't see any difference between it and ShipStation. They were both showing the same discount from USPS standard rates.

What's the difference between Ground Advantage and Ground Saver?

I checked out PirateShip a few months ago and didn't see any difference between it and ShipStation. They were both showing the same discount from USPS standard rates.
Ground Advantage is USPS, and it replaced First Class, Parcel Select, and maybe something else too.

Ground Saver is UPS.

Do you tie yours up with twine and pad the chips with coconut fibers too?
?? I’m just saying you can wrap usps priority mail or flat rate boxes with brown paper and use them anywhere, even UPS.

If I’m using local materials then the chips are going to get padded with pine needles. Lots of them.

Keep your Amazon bubble in envelopes when you buy small items. SFRBs can often fit in those. Then you can use cheaper shipping options from USPS or UPS

Best way to ship these

Attachments

• E8C1B579-DD6D-4CBD-AF19-822DD7AF682C.jpeg
    E8C1B579-DD6D-4CBD-AF19-822DD7AF682C.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 3FAD4ADD-DE19-4338-B76A-9FBDABC02EBF.jpeg
    3FAD4ADD-DE19-4338-B76A-9FBDABC02EBF.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 36

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom