Poker Chip Shipping Tips and Tricks (2 Viewers)

This new system sucks. I’ve got 3 packages on the way, all would have been first class packages, and would normally go through NY metro before arriving on Long Island.
One package from Nevada went to Maryland, and now it’s in New Jersey. Will be arriving after expected date.
Another package went from Gatesville TX, went south and spent 36 hours in Austin, then back up to Dallas. Maybe on to Maryland for that one too?
It’s definitely not streamlined, for sure.

Anyone else seeing late deliveries? I’m seeing more packages arrive later than the day that the tracking estimates than ever before. It used to be sometimes the packages would arrive before the expected date, but now I’m seeing at least half my packages are arriving late.

But when you've brought your 15th box of cremated remains to your local post office, would they not sort of look at you funny? Or maybe call the FBI?
I don't think they care. I mean I have shipped dozens of compact, brick shaped boxes, that weigh right around a Kilo; and all I ever get asked is if I'll pay for return shipping if the receiver refuses it :wtf:

Anyone else seeing late deliveries? I’m seeing more packages arrive later than the day that the tracking estimates than ever before. It used to be sometimes the packages would arrive before the expected date, but now I’m seeing at least half my packages are arriving late.
I think a lot of it just depends on where you are shipping from, and where you are shipping to. I'm in Iowa, so middle of the USA. Whenever I ship east, it has always taken at least an extra day in shipping time as opposed to packages that I ship west. Packages sent to California in particular seem to arrive in two days flat. Almost without exception. But when I ship to the upper NE states like Massachusetts or the lower NE states like Florida, four days seems to be the standard.

I haven't noticed any late deliveries recently, though. And I keep a pretty close eye on stuff like that.

I think a lot of it just depends on where you are shipping from, and where you are shipping to. I'm in Iowa, so middle of the USA. Whenever I ship east, it has always taken at least an extra day in shipping time as opposed to packages that I ship west. Packages sent to California in particular seem to arrive in two days flat. Almost without exception. But when I ship to the upper NE states like Massachusetts or the lower NE states like Florida, four days seems to be the standard.

I haven't noticed any late deliveries recently, though. And I keep a pretty close eye on stuff like that.
Yeah, I'm talking specifically about the changes since July 9, where "Ground Advantage" has replaced first class and parcel select. I think they've not only changed rates, but also using different hubs and schedules. Packages to me since the 9th are going to strange USPS sorting locations and taking longer than they used to. Even their estimates seem to be confused by it all.
Priority may be unaffected, we'll see.

Don't ship Ground Advantage from/to Alaska/Hawaii if the package is 1lb or heavier.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/USPS-Ground-Advantage
Items weighing 15.99 oz or less travel by air to Alaska, Hawaii, and offshore destinations. Items weighing over 15.99 oz travel by ship to Alaska, Hawaii, and offshore destinations.

> Based on further review and assessment of customer needs and operational feasibility, when the new USPS Ground Advantage product is implemented on July 9, 2023, the Postal Service now intends to retain, for parcels that: (1) weigh 1 pound and above, and (2) originate from or destinate to offshore locations, the service standards currently assigned to RG and PSG parcels originating from or destinating to offshore locations.

So... it looks like no change to the status quo:
  • Packages 15.9999 ounces and under will get old FCPS-like air treatment.
  • Packages 1 pound and over will get 3-month black-hole container/ship treatment like the old Retail Ground and Parcel Select.

If you’ve brought your prepaid labeled package to a PO counter to be scanned in and get a receipt, have you noticed the postal worker also scanning the packaging bar code (for USPS-provided packaging)?

I noticed it today (when it wasn’t happening yesterday at the same PO), and I’m wondering if it is to avoid issues like this one:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...stage-adjustment-anybody-else-got-one.106643/

Shipped something from Los Angeles to Oregon on Friday Priority Mail. It's taking a weird circuitous route, and it's not even going to the western eastern part of OR where coming through Utah might make sense:

1692134647016.png

Almost seems like it's taking the more meandering routing of a Ground Advantage package than what should be 2-3 business day service of Priority Mail...

Last edited:
If it hasn’t been mentioned already, two Warnecke boxes fit perfectly (with a little padding) in a “mailing box.” A mailing box looks like a SFRB but it’s a little larger. Then put the mailing box inside a padded flat rate envelope (PFRE). Seal it and flip it, and put that PFRE in a second PFRE. Works like a charm.

IMG_8270.jpeg

IMG_8269.jpeg

Last edited:
If it hasn’t been mentioned already, two Warnecke boxes fit perfectly (with a little padding) in a “mailing box.” A mailing box looks like a SFRB but it’s a little larger. Then put the mailing box inside a padded flats rate envelope (PFRE). Seal it and flip it, and put that PFRE in a second PFRE. Works like a charm.

View attachment 1180811
View attachment 1180807
I must have missed something - would that be cheaper than a small flat rate box?

I must have missed something - would that be cheaper than a small flat rate box?
That particular mailing box qualifies for the lowest Priority Mail cubic rate. If you're using a service like Shippo or Pirate Ship that lets you use cubic rate, then it's cheaper than a SFRB or FRPE if you're shipping somewhere relatively near you. At some point it becomes more expensive. From Pirate Ship's page on cubic rates:

1692212103432.png

The actual rates (that they apparently can't advertise) are cheaper than the commercial SFRB rate for as far as Zone 5 in some cases, but if you're shipping at least halfway across the country, the flat-rate boxes/padded envelopes will be cheaper.

USPS retired regional boxes and "replaced" it with cubic rate (cubic co-existed with regional boxes, so it didn't really replace it but it served a similar purpose so USPS got rid of what they considered a redundant service).

Edit: To clarify, this is if you ship this as your outer box. If you put it into a FRPE for additional protection as @Himewad is then obviously you’ll be charge the FRPE rate, which is only 20¢ more than a SFRB

Last edited:
It's basically the same price as a SFRB, but I didn't think that two Warnecke boxes fit perfectly in a SFRB. Also, the double PFRE gives a lot of extra cushion in case the USPS dudes decide to fling your package around.

SFRB inside a PFRE is a popular packing technique for a small increase in cost (like @TheOffalo mentioned, about 20¢ more). Since we're paying the PFRE price anyways, 200 chips inside a 1096L box fits better than a SFRB.

I didn't think that two Warnecke boxes fit perfectly in a SFRB. Also, the double PFRE gives a lot of extra cushion in case the USPS dudes decide to fling your package around.
They don't. But you can easily sandwich together two SFRBs, insert two Warneke boxes, tape it all up, then put that into a PFRE (or more than one for the extra cushioning).

The SFRBs are easier to find (free at every USPS facility), the slightly larger 1096L boxes must be ordered online.

Last edited:
There’s definitely ways I don’t know about (see above) but the way I do it is two chip boxes in a SFRB (no need for padding inside as it’s already tight), followed by 3 PFREs:
View attachment 345792View attachment 345793
*I tape the box closed as well just to be sure
View attachment 345794View attachment 345796
Never had an issue with it including international shipping. You could also tape the outside of the PFRE for super protection but I’ve never received/heard of the PFREs getting punctured.
USPS also has a box slightly larger than a SFRB that fits two warnekes with about just enough gap around them for a layer or two of bubble wrap

If it hasn’t been mentioned already, two Warnecke boxes fit perfectly (with a little padding) in a “mailing box.” A mailing box looks like a SFRB but it’s a little larger. Then put the mailing box inside a padded flat rate envelope (PFRE). Seal it and flip it, and put that PFRE in a second PFRE. Works like a charm.

View attachment 1180811
View attachment 1180807
What's the cost to ship this?

Has anyone or everyone been using pirateship.com?
Shipping a SFRB is only $8.10 compared to $10.40 going to the post office. It's nice saving chippers $2 especially when only shipping out a barrel or two which inflates the cost of chips.
Pirateship is great! Never had any issues with it.

For small amounts of chips (<1lb), I like shipping Ground Advantage, it's even cheaper, about $5 (+bubble mailer and bubble wrap).

Has anyone or everyone been using pirateship.com?
Shipping a SFRB is only $8.10 compared to $10.40 going to the post office. It's nice saving chippers $2 especially when only shipping out a barrel or two which inflates the cost of chips.
everyone SHOULD, but I get the feeling most here feel intimidated by shipping software and rather have a postal worker do everything (for a higher price).

everyone SHOULD, but I get the feeling most here feel intimidated by shipping software and rather have a postal worker do everything (for a higher price).
Boooooooooo. After you told me pirateship, my and shipping and selling life have gotten so much better.

One, I’m not losing money on every sale.
Two, I don’t have to spend hours at the PO boxing up since I do everything at home and simply print.
Three, and the BEST part, is that I don’t need to keep receipts. I can see every chip package I’ve sent and their tracking and delivery status all just by logging in.

Anyone not using something online is missing out!

They don't. But you can easily sandwich together two SFRBs, insert two Warneke boxes, tape it all up, then put that into a PFRE (or more than one for the extra cushioning).

The SFRBs are easier to find (free at every USPS facility), the slightly larger 1096L boxes must be ordered online.
Yep. I ordered mine online. I think they came within a week. Free to order, and dropped off at my doorstep by the mailman. Those 1096L boxes kick ass.

Tips for shipping a single barrel? Trying the search function and having trouble finding anything specific to this quantity

Tips for shipping a single barrel? Trying the search function and having trouble finding anything specific to this quantity
Some people use some sort of plastic coin collector barrels…I just wrap them in Saran Wrap.

Planning to ship some packages containing 5 ceramic chips each.

I was initially planning to send via bubble mailer, but in the name of science, I will try via first class mail (non machinable). The initial plan is chips wrapped in stapled paper, taped to trifolded cardstock, inside a regular envelope. Drop off with the clerk and ask that they send as non machinable.

I have replacements if a few don't make it. Do yall foresee mass issues with this plan?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom