PCF Wine appreciation thread. (5 Viewers)

You want sweet and cheap? Joseph Handler Sweet Red (Germany). If you are in the US, readily available at Trader Joe's. My wife loves these and picked them up a couple of cases for $3.99/bottle, less than half the price of a Jack's 1000 chip. Not sure if they still cost this much. They go down really easily and have always been a hit. Guests always asks about them and assumed it was a more expensive wine. I just checked and it looks like they redesigned the bottle (right).

View attachment 259544View attachment 259543

Wait a minute, you’re telling me I could have purchased 1,200 bottles of wine over some Jacks? S@&$, why didn’t anybody tell me?!

Wine is meant to complement food, absolutely. But I also believe that a good wine should be able to stand alone and be enjoyed by itself.

My comment addressed "learning about wine" in a vacuum, not an inability to enjoy wine by itself.

If you're comparing two wines with no points of reference, the sweeter wine will win 99+ per cent of the time.

This has been proven repeatedly at wine tastings, where experienced wine drinkers were offered head-to-head tastings of two wines -- and the sweeter wine always wins, overwhelmingly if not unanimously. Even when the two wines are the very same wine, but one glass has been augmented with a very slight addition of sugars.

(For you Baltimore area wine drinkers, watch out -- Jerry Pellegrino of Corks / Waterfront Kitchen / Schola is fond of pulling this trick...)

We all seem to agree that wine brings out the best in food and in us (even without food). I also agree that wine education starts first "In the field" rather than in the academic vacuum of the classroom. But who's to say you can't have everything?

Searched but couldn’t find anything for wine.

After polishing off a couple of bottles just now I’d love some suggestions or to hear others favourites.

I’ll start with a favourite of mine.

Serafino GSM

View attachment 198841

@Lil Tuna i know you’re a fellow wine lover. Would love to hear about some favourites.
Wow!!! Didn’t know we shared wine too!! Jarvis is one of my favs! Along with Ehlers!!!

We all seem to agree that wine brings out the best in food and in us (even without food). I also agree that wine education starts first "In the field" rather than in the academic vacuum of the classroom. But who's to say you can't have everything?

Ya don't say there Steppenwolf? I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I have a full beverage center dedicated to both chilled and room temp booze just because of you lol

Every year in the spring, one of the local large theatre companies puts on a fundraiser wine tasting evening, and the theme is always California wines. I'd say easily over 120 wineries participate, averaging 5 selections per winery. Me and my wine circle look forward to it every year. Perennial favourites are Michael David, Coppola, Wagner Family (Caymus). Since I like Zinfandel so much I usually make sure I drop by Cline, Sebastiani, Ravenswood, Kenwood, etc. Lodi is usually where I find the best bargains.

Sometimes it takes good wine and good cards to try to figure out which chips would make the best tournament set...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 202
If you're comparing two wines with no points of reference, the sweeter wine will win 99+ per cent of the time.

This has been proven repeatedly at wine tastings, where experienced wine drinkers were offered head-to-head tastings of two wines -- and the sweeter wine always wins, overwhelmingly if not unanimously.
Mrs Zombie and I used to have blind tastings at home. Open two bottles, pour without the other one seeing (one glass with a charm and one without) and compare them side-by-side to see which wine was "better".

We stopped when we noticed we kept selecting the sweeter (usually cheaper) wine as the winner. Side-by-side, the sweeter wine will always makes the other taste a little bitter - not unlike getting your coffee perfect, then taking a bite of a doughnut - the coffee suddenly needs more sugar.

Last edited:
An excellent value-for-money Cabernet Sauvignon is produced by top (Bordeaux-educated) scientist AND genuine farmer (I 've seen his filthy hands in person) Mr. Papa-ioannou (the dash just to help you pronounce:D) in Nemea, the Peloponnese, Greece.

Nemea's indigenous grape variety is Aygiorgitiko (Saint George's), a noble "feminine" red grape which I 'll leave to discuss on another occasion.

Anyway, the Cava Papaioannou (Cabernet Sauvignon) is aged in oak casks and will yield its dark fruit aromas ideally, but not necessarily, with the help of thoughtful hot dishes, like the almost-painful penne arabiatissime (with tons of garlic and hot peppers)
CavaP_IMG_1031.jpg

CavaP_IMG_1030.jpg

Sharing this could be plain stupid, 'cause if the world finds out about this, the bottle will not sell for 12E anymore, but rather for 4-5 times that.
Anyway, I know the man is stout-hearted and likes to export primarily to France, to challenge his teachers:D
He told me "If you 're not already a huge brand, there 's no point exporting to countries without a wine culture, where people don't know shit and just want an established brand, to show-off to co-workers, girlfriends and wives. In wine-loving countries and regions, you stand a chance of appreciation".
I have no idea what a bottle would cost in the US, though.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/a+g+papaioannou+cava+cab+sauv+nemea+greece

I pounded 4.5 bottles of Rose yesterday on a beautiful, sunlit patio and slept on a couch...super classy! No nipples though.

Wine is meant to complement food, absolutely. But I also believe that a good wine should be able to stand alone and be enjoyed by itself.

Old school Italians would have a glass of wine as their meal! Agree, wine helps enjoy food, but defiantly wasn't designed to enhance food!

Old school Italians would have a glass of wine as their meal! Agree, wine helps enjoy food, but defiantly wasn't designed to enhance food!
Salt wasn't "designed" at all, but it certainly enhances food. Wine is the same way. Whether it's "intent" was to make food better or not, food is almost always better with wine.

Salt wasn't "designed" at all, but it certainly enhances food. Wine is the same way. Whether it's "intent" was to make food better or not, food is almost always better with wine.
Fun fact about salt. Salary comes from the Latin word salarium, which also means "salary" and has the root sal, or "salt. " In ancient Rome, it specifically meant the amount of money allotted to a Roman soldier to buy salt, which was an expensive but essential commodity.

Defiantly not disagreeing with either statement. I guess I am reading out of context. "Wine is meant to complement food" makes it seem like that is the only reason why wine was invented, and that is NOT the case. But me just reading things out of context.

Fun fact about salt. Salary comes from the Latin word salarium, which also means "salary" and has the root sal, or "salt. " In ancient Rome, it specifically meant the amount of money allotted to a Roman soldier to buy salt, which was an expensive but essential commodity.
Fixed your Avatar...
Untitled-1.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom