PCF Wine appreciation thread. (3 Viewers)

Where's the beef? :D
C4203A24-3CC2-47EC-8896-C8AEDD29F426.jpeg

Yesterday was my brother’s 60th b-day. No better time to break this out. Drinking beautifully! In my humble opinion, it should last for several more years. However, I’m more inclined to think, “smoke em” if you got em, or in this case, “drink-em” if you got em.

Attachments

• 7DC47103-71C7-42F8-8D71-D2BC4336AA17.jpeg
    7DC47103-71C7-42F8-8D71-D2BC4336AA17.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 77
Question. HELP! I’m not that tech savvy. When I use to attach a photo I had an option of full image or a smaller version. What happened?

Yesterday was my brother’s 60th b-day. No better time to break this out. Drinking beautifully! In my humble opinion, it should last for several more years. However, I’m more inclined to think, “smoke em” if you got em, or in this case, “drink-em” if you got em.
A lot of people don't make it to 60. Drink 'em while you can!

Helped a colleague and was poured this as the thank you. Amazing stuff!

The Grange is one of the very best wines we've ever tasted. I still have two bottle of the 1990 laying on my oldest shelf of wine -- probably ought to get around to drinking them. :cool

One of my favorite stories:

The first bottle we ever tasted was iirc a '90 in 1995 at an Australian restaurant in Colorado Springs -- I think the name was "New South Wales". We were coming home from a hospital in Denver and celebrating my mother-in-law not needing immediate surgery after she took a tumble in Breckenridge that day and broke her neck.

It was a Saturday, and the place was full, so we had to sit at the bar to eat. We ordered, and I headed for the men's room. As I approached, here came the bartender out of the men's room carrying the bottle of Grange. First time I'd ever seen my wine coming *out* of the men's room...

It turns out when they built the place, the decided that the coolest room in the building would be the men's room, so that's where they built the wall cabinets for wine storage.

That bottle was $135. Couldn't get a sniff of it today for that price...

[Edited to correct name of restaurant. My wife's memory to the rescue!]

Last edited:
Selyem, Rochioli and Sea Smoke!!!! Yayyyyyyy

Sea Smoke pinot is superb -- IMO, right up there among Santa Barbara wines with Brewer-Clifton (to whom they sell some grapes) and Melville.

Can't speak to their highly-rated chardonnay, since that's a grape we avoid...

Enjoy 'em!

I know nothing about wine, however my wife has just started to get into drinking wine before/with dinner and I was thinking about buying her a 'wine of the month' club type of membership for Christmas. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions? FYI - She is not a fan of red wine if that matters.

I know nothing about wine, however my wife has just started to get into drinking wine before/with dinner and I was thinking about buying her a 'wine of the month' club type of membership for Christmas. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions? FYI - She is not a fan of red wine if that matters.

Mrs Roo and I get gifted these sorts of things from time to time (since everyone knows we "love wine" lol), and I've almost universally hated them. YMMV of course, and if your wife is new to wine and hasn't developed her own preferences yet, it can be a decent way to get exposed to a lot of different wines. (They will all have red only/white only/mixed options, so not being a fan of red wine shouldn't be an impediment here).

Champagne suggestions under $40-50 for Thanksgiving?

You looking for actual Champagne or sparkling white?

If the former, I've never gone wrong with a classic Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin.
For the latter, I go for value. Prosecco, Santa Margherita (ITA). Cava, Segura Viudas Brut Reserva (ESP). We've even got a local (to me) Okanagan winery that has a large line of sparking wines: Summerhill Cipes (many different varietals used, including Chardonnay, Cab Franc, Pinot Noir).

Our go-to is Gruet Blanc de Noirs, from New Mexico. Under $20. The Gruet family hails from Bethon, France, (30 miles south of Epernay), with a heritage in champagne production. There's also an occasional vintage produced, right at $20, and worth it. gruetwinery.com
:tup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom