Paulson: Full label replacement tutorial thread (4 Viewers)

After washing they always look quite faded and the colours pop after oiling.
Ok thanks. The 200 scandias I relabeled were mint and I did it without using nail polish remover so I didn’t bother washing them.

The AS chips I have used the polish remover, so I expect I’ll have to wash them properly, before placing new labels. I’ll see if I need to oil them after washing them.

If the inlays you're removing are the vinyl ones, you can usually peel the entire label off in one piece without needing any nail polish remover. In my experience, if you make a deep enough cut through the inlay, to where you can see the line in the clay from the cut once it's out, then you can usually peel the whole thing out in one piece. I use an exacto blade to cut a line from 12:00 to the center with the blade barely angled so it scores deeper. I have to press pretty hard. Then I use a dental pick to dig under it and pop it up. I make sure I'm under both the plastic and the vinyl then I can peel the whole thing off pretty quickly. It takes me about 45 seconds per chip usually. Occasionally I'll run into a stubborn inlay where the vinyl keeps peeling, and nail polish comes in handy with those. But usually it's not necessary if you cut deep enough with the first cut. And you don't need to cut wedges out of it. Just one deep cut half way across the label is all you need. Then get under it and peel.

Paper inlays though are an exercise in patience

If the inlays you're removing are the vinyl ones, you can usually peel the entire label off in one piece without needing any nail polish remover. In my experience, if you make a deep enough cut through the inlay, to where you can see the line in the clay from the cut once it's out, then you can usually peel the whole thing out in one piece. I use an exacto blade to cut a line from 12:00 to the center with the blade barely angled so it scores deeper. I have to press pretty hard. Then I use a dental pick to dig under it and pop it up. I make sure I'm under both the plastic and the vinyl then I can peel the whole thing off pretty quickly. It takes me about 45 seconds per chip usually. Occasionally I'll run into a stubborn inlay where the vinyl keeps peeling, and nail polish comes in handy with those. But usually it's not necessary if you cut deep enough with the first cut. And you don't need to cut wedges out of it. Just one deep cut half way across the label is all you need. Then get under it and peel.

Paper inlays though are an exercise in patience
Something similar to this was my original method and it worked on decent percentage of my scandia chips (I replaced the inlays on 200 chips this way), but it doesn’t work with the AS chips that I’ve tried. It also didn’t work at all on the Irish Mikes that I got from @kmccormick100 those required some nail polish remover.

Just finished the rack

Depends on a lot of things -- the depth of the cut/gouge, the type of laminate on the label, the design/artwork on the label, etc.

Generally speaking, no, but in extreme cases, it's possible.
Some of the methods on here show pictures with fairly deep cuts, though mostly at an angle. Others show just bare surface scratches, and not deep cuts. I'd have thought some of the examples here might have revealed the cut through the relabel.

Which laminates are more susceptible to revealing a deep cut?

The more texture on the laminate, the less you'll see surface imperfections. So smooth and/or glossy are more likely to show gouges.

Got through my first tedious session of label removals last night!! Mostly success, but how do you clean up the edge of the label remnants? I don't want to scratch the chip, so am asking here. Advice appreciated!!

You have to appreciate the effort and time that is devoted to the process. I plan on venturing down the same trail soon enough. Keep up with the posts.

I'm curious if there's a consensus on when to oil the chips when doing an inlay replacement.

1. Before inlay removal. Keeps the oil out of the recess where the new label will be going.
  2. After inlay removal. If you're using nail polish remover it'll strip off any oiling that was done and you'll have to oil them again. Let the oil soak in and there's no problem applying the label.
  3. After new label application. All the surgery is complete - the finishing step it to oil them up. I guess the concern is that the oil might seep under the new label but really we're applying such a small amount of oil is that a real problem?

I'm curious if there's a consensus on when to oil the chips when doing an inlay replacement.

1. Before inlay removal. Keeps the oil out of the recess where the new label will be going.
  2. After inlay removal. If you're using nail polish remover it'll strip off any oiling that was done and you'll have to oil them again. Let the oil soak in and there's no problem applying the label.
  3. After new label application. All the surgery is complete - the finishing step it to oil them up. I guess the concern is that the oil might seep under the new label but really we're applying such a small amount of oil is that a real problem?

I am in the #2 camp. I always make sure the recess area is dry of all oils before applying the label but I haven't had any issues. I also clean my chips after removing the inlay which also dries them out. From my experience Paulson chips suck the oil in. @Gear labels are on pretty securely after being on the chips a couple days.

I would think #3 would be a higher risk of getting oil under the label and impede the glue from sticking.

Grant

Never having done a full label replacement end to end, I'm still debating.

Currently, after I nail polish, I ultrasonic clean them. I want to make sure all chemical residue is gone and not just sitting on the chip. They are pretty dry, so I think I will put a little bit of oil now, since I know I have time for them to fully soak, minimum weeks before getting to any labeling.

Surely you guys aren’t bothering to oil new chips?

Those stardust for example don’t need it. Give them a clean to remove the nail polish residue, but other than that i wouldn’t bother.

Last edited:
Why destroy unless you have large quantities? I'm assuming you don't have large quantities of the Big Top chips (but hey, maybe you do)

Surely you guys aren’t bothering to oil new chips?

Those stardust for example don’t need it. Give them a clean to remove the nail polish residue, but other than that i wouldn’t bother.
When chips come out of the ultrasonic, to me they seem thirsty...

Looks good. You dont have to go quite so close to the edge when removing the plastic. If you "pop up" on the edge you should be able to get the plastic to come up. It will help prevent damage to the chip at the edge.

What are the plans for the Big Top chips? Have any of the 43mm?

So I decided to go down this route of doing a full replacement on my label-over set. I like the design/chips enough that I'll keep them - so why not?
  1. Horseshoe Chips - easy. almost fall off. Slice the protective cover, peels right off, soak the underlying label and they almost fall off in one piece like butter.
  2. Good Luck Club - Same as above - easy
  3. Paulson Sporting Set Climbing 500's - HOLY SHIT! I don't know what the difference is but these underlying labels will not come off. I have done several chips, probably ruined 1 or 2 and the best I get is scraping them off 1 microscopic piece at a time. I have soaked it multiple times, still will not come up. No way I can do this for 160 chips X 2 sides!

Any suggestions/ideas/experience with a label such as what I am experiencing with these purple chips?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom