Paulson: Full label replacement tutorial thread (9 Viewers)

So I decided to go down this route of doing a full replacement on my label-over set. I like the design/chips enough that I'll keep them - so why not?
  1. Horseshoe Chips - easy. almost fall off. Slice the protective cover, peels right off, soak the underlying label and they almost fall off in one piece like butter.
  2. Good Luck Club - Same as above - easy
  3. Paulson Sporting Set Climbing 500's - HOLY SHIT! I don't know what the difference is but these underlying labels will not come off. I have done several chips, probably ruined 1 or 2 and the best I get is scraping them off 1 microscopic piece at a time. I have soaked it multiple times, still will not come up. No way I can do this for 160 chips X 2 sides!
Any suggestions/ideas/experience with a label such as what I am experiencing with these purple chips?

View attachment 250775 View attachment 250776 View attachment 250779 View attachment 250780

View attachment 250777
Ugh, the Paradice $25s are like this. You just have to go slow.

One word of caution, in my experience purple is very reactive to nail polish remover. It lightens/alters the colour. Is that your experience here?

If you send me a chip or 2 I am more than happy to give it a try to see if there is a better way.

Thanks
Grant

Ugh, the Paradice $25s are like this. You just have to go slow.

One word of caution, in my experience purple is very reactive to nail polish remover. It lightens/alters the colour. Is that your experience here?

If you send me a chip or 2 I am more than happy to give it a try to see if there is a better way.

Thanks
Grant

PM Coming - THANKS

The bad part is I'm sure I have some Good Luck Club's and some Gamblers Pleasure's in the mix but they all have labels over the top of them now :eek:
I am thinking the Climbing version is the only one that is going to be a problem.

Looks good. You dont have to go quite so close to the edge when removing the plastic. If you "pop up" on the edge you should be able to get the plastic to come up. It will help prevent damage to the chip at the edge.

What are the plans for the Big Top chips? Have any of the 43mm?

yea i'm new to the inlay removal process, definitely a work in progress. ill try that out next time. I removed the inlay's to the 10 individual chips for our league member's. They will all have an individual "Member" chip with their own name on the inlay that @Gear is making me for my Havana Poker League. mine is the ES T5! lol

yea i'm new to the inlay removal process, definitely a work in progress. ill try that out next time. I removed the inlay's to the 10 individual chips for our league member's. They will all have an individual "Member" chip with their own name on the inlay that @Gear is making me for my Havana Poker League. mine is the ES T5! lol
Is this for a permanent at "house" member specific card marker?

No its for them. they can use it as a card protector or bring it home. they all have the cap's and a holder for each. Just a token for each of our member's who joined the league.

MUST SEE FINISHED PRODUCT
You have set the bar pretty high since every project you have created/posted is fabulous.

MUST SEE FINISHED PRODUCT
You have set the bar pretty high since every project you have created/posted is fabulous.

thank's man. will post once i get the label's put on them. Super excited for the league to start in March in my new place ill be moving into! cant wait

Nice! I do individual Champion chips for each years winners with their picture on it on T1K chips with the same spot pattern but different edge spots. It is nice being able to customize individual chips with @Gear.

I am actually looking for Metallic Hold hot stamp chips to have @Gear do shaped inlays on to give to each winner as a card marker (just because I want an excuse to get shaped inlays done and don't have a budget for a full set).

Grant

So I decided to go down this route of doing a full replacement on my label-over set.

Paulson Sporting Set Climbing 500's - HOLY SHIT! I don't know what the difference is but these underlying labels will not come off. I have done several chips, probably ruined 1 or 2 and the best I get is scraping them off 1 microscopic piece at a time. I have soaked it multiple times, still will not come up. No way I can do this for 160 chips X 2 sides!

Any suggestions/ideas/experience with a label such as what I am experiencing with these purple chips?

View attachment 250777
I ran into an identical problem with some older THC chips (Scandia $100, I think). What a serious pita.

My solution is to send them to @Gear for removal. :D

FYI, I also had issues with a Native Lights primary $25 I recently did. It wasn't as bad as the Paradice $25, but it was a much bigger PITA than any of the Horseshoe, or other Native Lights ($5, $100).

I did only do one chip as I am trying to figure out if I am going to use them for anything. Maybe I just pulled the difficult one?

Yah... I ran across the same PITA problem removing inlays from the white three-stripe fantasy chips. Nothing really worked great, but I found a little vodka soak to help it go slightly easier.

Edit: Vodka soak for the chips... not for the person. Although they were such a PITA that might not be a bad idea either. :)

Curious, does label replacement affect the resale price of the chip?
I would think it would limit/lower resale.

Like any customs, it can limit the amount of interested buyers.

Edit: I also dont expect anyone doing full label replacement is concerned much about resale (I never plan to sell my chips).

Last edited:

Edit: I also dont expect anyone doing full label replacement is concerned much about resale (I never plan to sell my chips).

I agree with all that. But I also think there are some chips that are just asking for an inlay removal (I.e snappers and $2 chips). I think I might pay a little more for chips that already have the inlay removed if they fit with a particular project. YMMV

^This. not looking to sell this set. lol

Agree with both. I am undertaking a full label replacement now but I first labeled over the top to make sure it was what I wanted.
I'm starting a cash relabel project also & i'll label over the top of a few hundred and once I know they are what I want i'll relabel the entire set knowing I plan to keep them.

Has anyone played with temperature? I would be careful with heat (as it can warp the chip), but I wonder how putting a chip in the freezer before removal would effect the process.

I'll try on my next removal.

Grant

i like those $2 chips. let me know if you would be interested in selling them

Also can you relabel by just putting a label over the original - or will that produce a bad result?

i like those $2 chips. let me know if you would be interested in selling them

Also can you relabel by just putting a label over the original - or will that produce a bad result?

Yes, you can BUT it does depend on the thickness of the overlabel and the condition of the chip. You want enough recess depth to not cause a spinner.

Generally speaking, you can use an unlaminated sticker to put on top of an existing inlay, especially if the chip is in best condition. To use a laminated sticker, you will have to remove the existing inlay. The lamination adds durability, protection, and thickness.

You might be able to use an unlaminated sticker to put on top of a hot stamped chip, but only if the majority of the original hot stamp is worn enough to have an almost smooth surface in the recessed area of the chip. Hot stamps in better condition will have to be milled to clear it away, but then you could use a laminated sticker in your newly recessed surface.

Thanks to all for the insight here - I think I've definitely decided to go the inlay replacement route for my new set. Putting a pin in this for reference.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom