Paulson: Full label replacement tutorial thread (7 Viewers)

@grantc54 @allforcharity what is the longest people have had success with stickers before they start curling or peeling, just curious if this a 2-3 years replacement cycle or 15-20 years.

I'm not an expert. But I do have opinions....

Depends on the quality of the sticker, I suppose. If the vinyl I've experienced is typical of the quality of general vinyl out there for printed stickers, they should last just about forever. Any extreme environmental condition I can think of will probably permanently damage the chip, never mind the sticker.
Paper quality probably varies the most, so I would avoid it unless laminated.

I love my vinyl inlays. Finished the last 80 chips. Will get them in play tomorrow!!! :)
IMG_0049.jpg

This looks so hard and time consuming, I'd pay gear if I ever wanted to go this route. I can't imagine what my fingers would look like after 1000 chips. Probably stabbed and cut to pieces cause I'm clumsy.

I had my first inlay removal session today...

875AFEF9-DB0B-415F-949A-2A29B5A3EB38.jpeg

A little slow at first with removing the outer plastic layer but I started to get the hang of it by the end of the barrel. Thanks everyone for all the tips!

BTW... once the plastic cover was off, a few drops of the non-acetone nail polish remover loosened the Aurora Star label and it came off super easy with no remaining residue.

Last edited:
Two band-aids used for 20 chips. :confused:
So I need to get more band-aids before I tackle the next rack.
Are you using the @allforcharity pie slice method?

I found that the first barrel I was cutting myself a couple of times, but I’ve not come close to cutting myself once in the next 140.

It does get easier don’t worry. Its still time consuming and sucks, but it gets easier.

Are you using the @allforcharity pie slice method?

I found that the first barrel I was cutting myself a couple of times, but I’ve not come close to cutting myself once in the next 140.

It does get easier don’t worry. Its still time consuming and sucks, but it gets easier.

Nope... I hadn't seen that technique until I posted. But I'm definitely giving it a try next round.

I’m looking at having 900 chips to do this with. I plan on doing it at work when I have down time. It may take a year or more I’m guessing.

I’m looking at having 900 chips to do this with. I plan on doing it at work when I have down time. It may take a year or more I’m guessing.
Yeah it’s really time consuming. I managed to remove and replace inlays on 20 chips during a movie the other day and that felt like I was being pretty quick. I’ve done 200 so far, with 100 to go for my pca set.

I’ll be starting a 700 chip set after I finish the rest of the PCAs. I’ll race you lol

Yeah it’s really time consuming. I managed to remove and replace inlays on 20 chips during a movie the other day and that felt like I was being pretty quick. I’ve done 200 so far, with 100 to go for my pca set.

I’ll be starting a 700 chip set after I finish the rest of the PCAs. I’ll race you lol

I'd throw my hat in the ring. I figure i could do about 30 second a chip depending on specific chip.

Grant

I'd throw my hat in the ring. I figure i could do about 30 second a chip depending on specific chip.

Grant
Ok I concede already lol.

Although some that come off easily I would say I’d get the inlay off in about 30 seconds, but that’s if the inlay doesn’t have any residue sticking down and it peels in one go.

I did a test chip last night to gauge how hard/long this is going to take.

The protective film came off very easy. The actual inlay took some time but wasn’t excessively difficult. I’ll use nail polish remover to get the last of it off when I’m ready to do all of them.

4D1A5C4D-1011-4E2F-AB37-F0427DF9980D.jpeg

I did a test chip last night to gauge how hard/long this is going to take.

The protective film came off very easy. The actual inlay took some time but wasn’t excessively difficult. I’ll use nail polish remover to get the last of it off when I’m ready to do all of them.

View attachment 232976
What's next? Laminated label from Gear?

I found that doing one thing at a time to all chips was the fastest way. What I mean is I used to cut the top layer. Then set down the blade and grab my needle nose plyers and pull the top layer off, then flip and repeat. But now I just cut top layer, flip, cut and throw in a pile.

I found that doing one thing at a time to all chips was the fastest way. What I mean is I used to cut the top layer. Then set down the blade and grab my needle nose plyers and pull the top layer off, then flip and repeat. But now I just cut top layer, flip, cut and throw in a pile.

That is definitely the way to do it. Run all the chips through each step all at the same time.

Grant

@BSteck were the AS the vinyl inlay or the paper?

A layer of plastic on top of a paper sticker. I found the plastic cap to be the toughest to remove... it had to be sliced to get a hold of it then pried off with pliers. The paper sticker came off clean and easy with a couple drops of non-acetone nail polish remover.

What chips are those? I have never had that experience with a paper label on a Paulson chip.
And perhaps I don't have enough history or didn't pay enough attention, but the inlay underneath the plastic cap on the Aurora Star sure felt like paper to me. It certainly wasn't the high-quality of a Gear vinyl label. :D
Guess I have an agenda for tonight (tomorrow more likely).

@grantc54's videos show my experience exactly...
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...eplacement-tutorial-thread.31535/#post-579374

And perhaps I don't have enough history or didn't pay enough attention, but the inlay underneath the plastic cap on the Aurora Star snapper sure felt like paper to me. It certainly wasn't the high-quality of a Gear vinyl label. :D

Yeah, neither of those are paper. They're vinyl of some type. The paper labels have fibers and such, and are way harder to remove cleanly.

Yeah AS are vinyl and by far the easiest I’ve ever done. Think I was under a minute for a chip which is a personal best.

Edit: okay was wrong...
DE919589-E4DC-4A31-B0D4-1A643C133173.png

I’ve been finding the AS chips fairly easy, compared to some others when I use the nail polish trick.
My problem is when a big chunk of the vinyl comes off with the plastic top layer. It becomes more difficult to peel, once the nail polish remover has been applied.

I think I might have to make smaller cuts to remove the plastic top layer.
C32861E0-076F-4EB2-A32D-4F2E64DBED8C.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom