Paulson: Full label replacement tutorial thread (5 Viewers)

Damn thanks for sharing. I will need to try nail polish to help my process relabeling my PdC chips! Here is a video with the technique I have used for newer chips. I have noticed that the sticker part will peel off easy when it is somewhat attached to the plastic.

Unfortunately I have found only one in 30 comes off like the one you showed. Pulling the plastic cover off slowly pulling up on the label underneath does help. It can still be a pain getting the remaining pieces off without the nail polish remover (non acetone only though).

For Canadians I have found that the London Drugs brand works the best.

Thanks,
Grant

Unfortunately I have found only one in 30 comes off like the one you showed.

Yeah, it doesn't work every time, but it works for me for about 75% of new labels (rather than 1 in 30). I have removed approximately 800 inlays with that method.

Yeah, it doesn't work every time, but it works for me for about 75% of new labels (rather than 1 in 30). I have removed approximately 800 inlays with that method.

That is a great success rate! I will try it out.

Thanks,
Grant

@grant54 and @Burke
Thanks for sharing. Both of you seem to be "motivated, highly organized, and efficient killing machine(s)".

It looks like I have to buy another blade and maybe another tong. Next to that my chips are uncirculated and I don't want to make a mistake on a single chip. I think I will talk to gear about shipping costs etc. I am pretty sure, that my chips are in the best hands there. Hope shipping costs won't kill that idea.

@Gear labels arrived today. Thanks a lot. Awesome work!

I wasn't able to wait, so I finished the barrel today. I am really happy, but it also took a lot of time. I can't believe that some of you did more than a rack.

Please enjoy.
IMG_5965.JPG4AA77ADC-8E42-4F28-86D5-C779BB2E1D65.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5964.jpg
    IMG_5964.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
@Gear labels arrived today. Thanks a lot. Awesome work!

I wasn't able to wait, so I finished the barrel today. I am really happy, but it also took a lot of time. I can't believe that some of you did more than a rack.

Please enjoy.
View attachment 189799View attachment 189805

Did someone use Red Rock $1's or Aliante $1's for these (y) :thumbsup: .... good choice as I love those chips

After some chips (nearly two racks) I made some pics of the process. Hope pictures explain it better than words.

1 Step: Cut the foil:
IMG_6461.JPGIMG_6461.JPGIMG_6462.JPGIMG_6463.JPG

2 Step: Remove the foil:
IMG_6464.JPGIMG_6465.JPG

3rd step: Remove the label (I used non acetone nail polish remover. 5-6 drops (maybe more, the label should be soaking wet for 10 seconds or more before it can be easily removed with a tweezers):
IMG_6470.JPGIMG_6471.JPGIMG_6472.jpg

4th step: Use a laminated gear label to replace a new label:
IMG_6473.jpgIMG_6474.jpg

I’ve been refining my technique and this is working well for me so far.
I find that if i cut a cross on the whole inlay with a blade, then cut a small section in the middle, I can pop up each of the four centre edges in the inlay and pull them right out with some small pliers.
This seems to be the best way to avoid the sticky part peeling away from the laminate part of the inlay. They just pull straight out with no issues. Just did one side in about 60 seconds.
A39BE5F8-58D1-4959-968D-8B7383E65199.jpeg

2DF1641C-FE6A-4870-8E68-88AA654BC049.jpeg

31850083-1E3E-4F6E-B269-EF7D62CFDC56.jpeg

Ok, I tried to avaoid cutting the paper because I didn‘t want to cut into the chip.
My cutting angle is very flat. Yours should be like 90 degrees?!

Ok, I tried to avaoid cutting the paper because I didn‘t want to cut into the chip.
My cutting angle is very flat. Yours should be like 90 degrees?!
I’m cutting it like this. I’m certainly cutting into the chip underneath the label, but it’s not deep and will be covered by the label.
0429696F-08DD-40BA-B0DC-9655432FE04F.jpeg

I've found a slightly easier way (I think) to get that laminate layer off the top of the chip.

1. I use an Xacto knife blade to cut a pie slice through the laminate layer of the inlay. Two radii, intersecting in the middle of the chip.

2. I dig underneath that pie slice from the cut intersection with the edge of a mini box cutter blade, then pull out that pie slice with needlenose pliers. This leaves a Pac-Man shaped laminate piece over a partly-exposed label.

3. I dig underneath one corner of the exposed laminate near the rim (the "lip" of the Pac-Man). I grab a hold of that with the pliers, then pull off the rest of the label usually in one piece by rotating and pulling at it with the pliers in a clockwise motion.

Takes maybe a minute (or less) for both sides of a chip.

@allforcharity that sounds like a smarter and more efficient method than mine.

I’m bascially adding some extra and unecessary steps. I’m going to try your method tonight. 70 chips relabelled and counting so far.

I've removed labels from other non-paulson clay chips and they were not difficult at all; just peeled right off with very little effort. Makes me wonder if their adhesive is not as strong or whether the inlay is really pressed into the chip? The inlay on some molds seem to come off easier than others.

I've removed labels from other non-paulson clay chips and they were not difficult at all; just peeled right off with very little effort. Makes me wonder if their adhesive is not as strong or whether the inlay is really pressed into the chip? The inlay on some molds seem to come off easier than others.
I’ve done cpc and it’s super easy. Paulsons are a million times harder.

I've had labels just pop off in the middle of a session. Specifically H-mold chips; which makes me wonder if they're more sticker placed on after the mold has been pressed and not so much a true inlay that is pressed into the chip. Of course I could be 100% incorrect. I even thought I read it posted elsewhere too.

H mold inlays are true inlays as well. Thing is just, CPC doesn't use adhesive, so the inlays are held in place mostly by the vacuum created during pressing, and other than that just a very flimsy bonding between the border of the inlay plastic and the clay around it.

Okay, I just finished "murdering" 220 Golden Nugget Tukwila $2s so I can get a future laminated sticker on.

The laminate layer came off fairly easily with my method detailed above. First pie slice is your friend!

However, the inlay on these was vinyl, which seem WAY harder to remove than the paper ones in the videos. I would say about 60% of the time, the non-acetone nail polish remover did a complete job of dissolving the epoxy underneath, and the inlay came out easily. Another 20% of the time most of the label came off fairly easily, but left various bits of residue that required some careful scraping with the box cutter blade. The other 20% of the time the solvent did squat, and nearly the entire vinyl inlay had to be scraped off carefully by hand. Anybody have a similar experience with vinyl underneath laminate?

Spoke to @Gear last week about my experiences two posts above (#55). His experience also seems to confirm the ratio of easier : harder : most difficult that I posted about. He also said that vinyl inlays are way easier to remove than paper inlays.

Ever have these gear labels come loose later? Center protruding out more than edges, causing unstable or spinning chips when stacked?

Ever have these gear labels come loose later? Center protruding out more than edges, causing unstable or spinning chips when stacked?

I've never had this problem. In my experience once the labels are on there after a couple days they aren't coming off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom