Paging my lawyer Wedgerock, am I a millionaire via fax? (1 Viewer)

mike32

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Received this fax today at work. It's usually email these days, I remember years ago getting them actually handwritten in pen via US mail! I like how we are going to donate 10% to charity.

scam.jpg

"How am I going to claim this money as my own, without risking my career, my reputation, and my firm? Oh, Duh! I'll contact this stranger in Michigan who has the same last name as the guy I'm trying to defraud, and completely lay out my nefarious and illegal plan, without knowing a thing about him or whenter or not he will turn me in. I'll use my real name, phone number and the firm I'm partnered with, so he knows this is on the up and up."

Yeah, sounds legit.

I love it! Phone number or logo doesn’t match. I wonder how they plan to scam you.
Seems legit. Capitalizes random words the same way as Trump, so you know he has the best brain.
They actually do this stuff on purpose - provide clear warning signs - to increase the odds that the people who actually do contact them are dumb enough to believe them.

@mike32 PLEASE reach out to him via email (a junk one not your real one) and ask why his email address domain is spelled with three L’s :LOL: :laugh::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::LOL: :laugh::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Let me offer a better plan. Wait a few months and claim the "unclaimed" property from the state. You'll get 100% of the money less a fee from the state. Why take 45% of $9,820,000 when you could have almost all of it!

Damned crooked lawyers trying to trick you out of your inheritance.

Pictures of your awesome purchases will be expected -=- DrStrange

Trying to scam you by telling you he wants you to partner with him to scam the insurance company. Interesting........ and highly reputable. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
You misunderstand... only the bank is Reputable ;)

@mike32 PLEASE reach out to him via email (a junk one not your real one) and ask why his email address domain is spelled with three L’s :LOL: :laugh::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::LOL: :laugh::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 253319

Or why their fax says Mills and Mills, yet on the website it says Mill and Mills (fyi.. millandmills.com goes to a suspended account page)

You can report the website to the Registrar -
abuse@namecheaphosting.com

Also ask them for some pictures of the "ghastly" (standard law talking word) car crash

It was a ghastly horseless carriage cock-up, my dear chap. Ghastly!

Now, where are my spats? I need to depart post haste in my autogyro.

Does Canada have "state" unclaimed property? I would think it would be provinces, but I am not a Canuck. Pretty sure insurance companies only pay named beneficiaries or the estate of the decedent if no beneficiaries are named or are alive.

But yea, it is stamped, so has to be legit.

@gmail.com also a legit email address for a firm with a website.

I'm sure that's so it looks legit, but if you type it as shown, that will bounce, but Gmail will go through.

It's typed that way in the header and at the bottom.

Last edited:
Let me offer a better plan. Wait a few months and claim the "unclaimed" property from the state. You'll get 100% of the money less a fee from the state. Why take 45% of $9,820,000 when you could have almost all of it!
I just got an unclaimed property check from the State of Florida this month, and they didn't keep a fee as far as I can tell, though the check was only about $800.

I'm still not sure where the money came from. I know it was a payment from an insurance company; I can't remember which one, but I'd never heard of them and had to Google them. Here's my theory:

Several years ago, I bought a new car and had a mix-up with my auto insurance, and the credit union who financed me took out protective coverage to the tune of several thousand dollars for a gap policy. By the time I discovered and fixed the problem, I still had to pay for several weeks of coverage before that policy was cancelled, and they ended up adding almost $2K to the principal of my loan. I tried to follow up but was told that short of taking them to court, there wasn't anything I could do. It was a chunk but not worth the cost and hassle of lawyering up and going to court, so I just accepted it and moved on.

I suspect that the insurance company being used by my credit union was inflating the cost of their coverage significantly, and they may have been involved in a class action suit or some other regulatory effort to get them to stop ripping people off.

@gmail.com also a legit email address for a firm with a website.

I'm sure that's so it looks legit, but if you type it as shown, that will bounce, but Gmail will go through.

It's also typed that way in the header.
Ah I was just looking at the header for the company email didn’t even see the bottom stuff lol

You still would've had to consent to be a part of the class, waiving your right to sue on your own behalf.
Based on the handful of other class-action settlement notices I've received over the years (IANAL), you are included in the class by default. You have to explicitly remove yourself from the class by a certain date or you waive your rights to individual action.

Um, waiver of rights by inaction?

I would disagree, unless there was something in the original transaction that you agreed to be so-bound. (I don't know what IANAL is, but I'm hoping it's not an iPhone accessory to go with a Grinder account.)

Hoo boy, there's another one for the Out of Context thread. :dead: IANAL = I am not a lawyer.

Here's an example of an ongoing class action against Dial: http://www.soapsettlement.com/. If you go here, you'll note that you have until March 13 to submit an objection or a request for exclusion. Otherwise you will lose all rights to sue individually in this particular matter.

AFAIK that's pretty boilerplate for class action suits these days - I have yet to see one that doesn't require explicit exclusion if you plan to sue individually.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom