Machinery issue affecting some orders (2 Viewers)

This. I'd recommend a special pre-sale, one time, PCF commemorative chip at say $25/chip (or whatever makes sense). Then folks that want to support you can do so in a fun way. Put them in airtights so they can be shipped cheaper.
Ship them unfinished whether it's back up and running by then or not :)

Hi David,

Wondered how you’re doing today? Any news from the manufacturer?
Hope you get some good news soon.

I always assumed you were using a lathe to finish the edges. This is a simpler and more technological process. Any benchtop lathe could do this. You only need small equipment (made of plastic) to assemble the chips into a barrel. It may take a little longer, but it will be several times cheaper than repairing an old car. At least it will be a backup option. And you won't spend a lot of money. We are talking about $1000 maximum...
You will be surprised, but I already did this with your chips when the Blue Site still existed. But, of course, I understand that in my case we are not talking about industrial scale.
(I once had a small lathe and wanted to restore the round edges of a shuffle barrel. They were very worn.)
Paulson doesn't even come close to ASM/CPC performance levels.

Attachments

• IMG_20230908_134654.jpg
    IMG_20230908_134654.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20230908_134733.jpg
    IMG_20230908_134733.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20230908_134832.jpg
    IMG_20230908_134832.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20230908_134929.jpg
    IMG_20230908_134929.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20230908_134949.jpg
    IMG_20230908_134949.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20230908_135143.jpg
    IMG_20230908_135143.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20230908_135641.jpg
    IMG_20230908_135641.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 147
We've tried a lathe, even had a machine shop with precision equipment try it.
It's a whole lot different just fractionally refinishing edges to taking off up to 4mm. 50% of them chipped or broke.

The other issue was time. The grinder will finish 1,000 chips in half an hour. A factory man hour cost is around $40. We need to grind around 6,000 chips a week.
A grinding wheel is good for several million chips. I wouldn't guarantee it's cheaper in the long run, that's one of the reasons grinding replaced lathing 40 years ago.

We've tried a lathe, even had a machine shop with precision equipment try it.
It's a whole lot different just fractionally refinishing edges to taking off up to 4mm. 50% of them chipped or broke.
Yes, I understand. I did it very carefully. You would have to make multiple passes or use a stepped cutter. But, this takes time. (In the case of Paulson, this may work, since they are much softer and we will not get flea bites on the edge.) Your chips are very hard and obviously a grinder will work better and several times faster. Which ultimately affects the price.
(By the way, I tried sanding and it gives a razor sharp edge on CPC/ASM chips.)
It's a pity that we are in different countries. I am well versed in such things and even worked for some time in a production facility where such machines were repaired.
It would be cheap, fast and almost free. Maybe a couple of beers. My friends could do any mechanical and thermal treatment. But, from Germany, without access to the mechanism, this is difficult.

Sorry to hear that you are losing profits because of this.

We could really raise some money to keep production going. @Tommy

Yes, I understand. I did it very carefully. You would have to make multiple passes or use a stepped cutter. But, this takes time. (In the case of Paulson, this may work, since they are much softer and we will not get flea bites on the edge.) Your chips are very hard and obviously a grinder will work better and several times faster. Which ultimately affects the price.
(By the way, I tried sanding and it gives a razor sharp edge on CPC/ASM chips.)
It's a pity that we are in different countries. I am well versed in such things and even worked for some time in a production facility where such machines were repaired.
It would be cheap, fast and almost free. Maybe a couple of beers. My friends could do any mechanical and thermal treatment. But, from Germany, without access to the mechanism, this is difficult.

Sorry to hear that you are losing profits because of this.

We could really raise some money to keep production going. @Tommy
You realise we are talking about an industrial precision centerless grinder where the current model (albeit rather more modern) costs around $300,000 and an old used one like ours costs $60,000 (plus transport - it weighs in around 4 tons). The main bearings on the grinding wheel spindle are seized. It's 3-4 days labor by the manufacturer simply to replace the part - they have to fly in to do that, after they've spent 6 weeks manufacturing it as it is not a current part. Cannot be installed by anyone else for safety reasons as much as anything else.

Time is the same regardless of what route you take.
Replacing is totally unfeasible. You would have to strip out half the factory to be able to transport machines in and out.
Cost of replacing would be 3 times the cost of repair by the time you figure complete shutdown time. Right now it is only the grinding that can't be done.
Yes it sucks that we will almost certainly make a loss this year but can't do anything about that.

You realise we are talking about an industrial precision centerless grinder where the current model (albeit rather more modern) costs around $300,000 and an old used one like ours costs $60,000 (plus transport - it weighs in around 4 tons). The main bearings on the grinding wheel spindle are seized. It's 3-4 days labor by the manufacturer simply to replace the part - they have to fly in to do that, after they've spent 6 weeks manufacturing it as it is not a current part. Cannot be installed by anyone else for safety reasons as much as anything else.
(I have a degree in mechanical engineering.)
Damn, that sounds painful! I hope that the guys who are helping you are qualified enough.

Sorry to hear @David Spragg. I'm sure your team will work towards the solution. The community here will be understanding and patient. Thanks for all the work and commitment you have provided to this community.

(I have a degree in mechanical engineering.)
Damn, that sounds painful! I hope that the guys who are helping you are qualified enough.
I know German engineering is fantastic, but let's assume they are qualified, eh? I'm assuming they also have degrees/tons of experience if this is their livelihood.

I know German engineering is fantastic, but let's assume they are qualified, eh? I'm assuming they also have degrees/tons of experience if this is their livelihood.
It's not German, it's US. They've been going longer than us (130 years).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom