Tourney On-Time Chip Bonus & Software (1 Viewer)

v1pe

Full House
Reaction score
1) Really liked the idea of using an on-time chip bonus to incentivize being at the table at the scheduled time to start....so I'm wondering how much extra would generally be a good amount? Obviously you want it to be enough to make it appealing, but not so much to make it very imbalanced.

Tournament will be T10k or T15k with starting blinds of 25/50

I'm thinking maybe...25% or so of starting stack?

2) Can anyone recommend a good piece of software for blinds/level display? I have the trial of Tournament Director which seems pretty robust. I like it, but if there's a cheaper option available that will do the trick I'd be interested. I like that you can view the chip values and the auto payout calculator, but I don't necessarily need all of the game to game tracking info.

Our bonus incentives typically run about 15% of the starting stack size.

our tournaments start at 25/50 levels with starting stacks based on price of buy in. $1=100 chips. so for our $50 events we give 5000 starting chips etc. We do a flat 1000 chip bonus for being 'on time' which we set at being 15 mins early.

our tournaments start at 25/50 levels with starting stacks based on price of buy in. $1=100 chips. so for our $50 events we give 5000 starting chips etc. We do a flat 1000 chip bonus for being 'on time' which we set at being 15 mins early.

Do you let players decide how much to buy in for? If so that's an interesting way to do it... Might try that sometime.

I use a chip penalty rather than a chip bonus. And the penalty is a 18K starting stack rather than a 20K one. Basically, one less 2K chip. I just prefer to take chips out since usually, only one, maybe two players are late. Just easier to implement imo.

The penalty applies to any player not at the table by the starting time. The late player can arrive up to the first break/end of re-buy period, four levels in (1 hour and 20 mins).

2) Can anyone recommend a good piece of software for blinds/level display? I have the trial of Tournament Director which seems pretty robust. I like it, but if there's a cheaper option available that will do the trick I'd be interested. I like that you can view the chip values and the auto payout calculator, but I don't necessarily need all of the game to game tracking info.

I like PokerDIY (PokerDIY.com)...it's free and doesn't require an internet connection if you install it locally. On the downside, it requires Windows and Silverlight. And you will require an older browser (or Firefox ESR) to do the initial install.

If you have an internet connection, blindvalet.com is quite nice and free.

I can't speak to other platforms (Mac, etc).

Tournament will be T10k or T15k with starting blinds of 25/50

200 - 300 x BB? That's pretty deep.

Do you let players decide how much to buy in for? If so that's an interesting way to do it... Might try that sometime.

We start out each season with a Pick-a-Stack event. T25k for $10. We usually offer $30, $40 and $50 options (for a T100k schedule) but have offered $60 (for sure) and maybe even $70 options in the past.

To those that use a chip bonus/penalty: If you prepay, do you get the bonus/avoid the penalty, even if you arrive late?

No we vary BIs. So on the 80$ nights it’s 8000 chips. On the $60 nights is 6000.

200 - 300 x BB? That's pretty deep.

We start out each season with a Pick-a-Stack event. T25k for $10. We usually offer $30, $40 and $50 options (for a T100k schedule) but have offered $60 (for sure) and maybe even $70 options in the past.

To those that use a chip bonus/penalty: If you prepay, do you get the bonus/avoid the penalty, even if you arrive late?

Yeah, I much prefer a deep structure. I don't think I'd host anything under 100 bigs and I prefer 200-300. We usually go fairly fast 15-20 min levels though.

The pick a stack event looks very interesting!

I use a chip penalty rather than a chip bonus. And the penalty is a 18K starting stack rather than a 20K one. Basically, one less 2K chip. I just prefer to take chips out since usually, only one, maybe two players are late. Just easier to implement imo.

The penalty applies to any player not at the table by the starting time. The late player can arrive up to the first break/end of re-buy period, four levels in (1 hour and 20 mins).

we're implementing this in our league this season, which starts sunday night. T10,000 stacks with 1000 late penalty

It has been my experience that penalizing players for arriving late tends to damper their enthusiasm for your game, assuming they even arrive at all (many will not attend late if they feel penalized).

But those same players will gladly attend even when arriving late and subsequently missing the bonus chips awarded for on-time arrival.

Both situations are basically the same, except for how they are framed to the players.

To the late arrivals, one is a reward (which i didn't earn, because i was unavoidably late), while the other is a penalty (so i get punished twice - first by the circumstances that made me late, and then again by taking away part of my stack).

Bonuses make for happy players. Penalties do not. Never underestimate human emotions and psychology.

Paulo, we initially set out 23K stacks (20K + 3K bonus, or 15%) for all confirmed attendees, and pull 3K from the empty chair stacks while the dealers are shuffling for hand #1. Seldom more than two late players (usually traveling together), most often none.

Same concept as yours (easier to implement to have all the chips out initially), just with a positive spin rather than a penalty negative connotation.

It has been my experience that penalizing players for arriving late tends to damper their enthusiasm for your game, assuming they even arrive at all (many will not attend late if they feel penalized).

But those same players will gladly attend even when arriving late and subsequently missing the bonus chips awarded for on-time arrival.

Both situations are basically the same, except for how they are framed to the players.

To the late arrivals, one is a reward (which i didn't earn, because i was unavoidably late), while the other is a penalty (so i get punished twice - first by the circumstances that made me late, and then again by taking away part of my stack).

Bonuses make for happy players. Penalties do not. Never underestimate human emotions and psychology.

Reverse psychology works on players at your games? lol

Blindvalet is just boss. I handle everything there, from automatic registration, payout structures, blinds, timer of course etc.

I agree with BG on the bonus/penalty issue. I run 12k starting stacks, and offer a 500 chip on time bonus, and often a food pantry donation bonus, which maxes the starting stacks at 15k. I presort all stacks, and simply remove the bonus if the player isn't there on time. 500 chips seems enough of an incentive and I very rarely get late players.

As for software, I LOVE the "blinds up" app. I heard some experience bugs, but I've used it swimmingly without issue. Absolutely worth every penny!

I knew you could customize the generated structures, but earlier versions would not allow them to be saved -- you had to rebuild it every time the program was used. Major pita.

I ended up going ahead and purchasing Tournament Director. It seems like a very robust piece of software.

For the on time bonus I'm running a T10K this weekend and plan to hand out an extra 2K to folks that are bought in 10-15 minutes before the tourney starts. Will see how it goes!

We do a 10K starting stack with a 1K add on for buying in at least 15 minutes early and an additional 1K for being seated at the start of the tournament.

20 minute levels with blinds starting at 25/50

We use Dr. Neau's software.

Blind structures suck ass on that app. Just sayin'....

Fair enough. Though this doesn't matter to me the slightest, as I always customize the schedule. I have 8 different blind schedules saved, I can swap between them with 2 clicks. You can save and load templates easily. It doesn't get easier than that..

Everything else about that site is amazing. Real time synchronization across all devices, easy management of everything from seating, player elimination, chip leaderboard, payouts etc. Also you have a poker club, and can easily host new events, and then players can register themselves. That is what matters.

Real time synchronization across all devices

I have not been in the market for a blinds timer in a long time, and I didn't dig around that website too much because it requires registration, but am I hearing you correctly that if you run a tournament using blind valet on a laptop, the players can see blinds in real time on their phone? What can they see? Just current blinds and time left in the level, or things like next level, the complete blind schedule, players left in the tournament, average stack, payouts, etc.?

If so, that might make me consider upgrading the blind timer...

I have not been in the market for a blinds timer in a long time, and I didn't dig around that website too much because it requires registration, but am I hearing you correctly that if you run a tournament using blind valet on a laptop, the players can see blinds in real time on their phone? What can they see? Just current blinds and time left in the level, or things like next level, the complete blind schedule, players left in the tournament, average stack, payouts, etc.?

If so, that might make me consider upgrading the blind timer...

You can view everything you need! :) While they are taking a dump on the toilet during break, they can browse their phone and look at the leaderboard, next levels etc.

You have 5 different tabs:
- First is blind schedule, start stacks etc,
- Second is players registered (and later eliminated players), also leaderboard and stack sizes.
- Third is seating info for all your tables (so they can easily check on their own phones what table & seat they have).
- Fourth is total prizepool, payout structure etc.
- And finally fifth is of course the clock, with time elapsed, time until next break, the next levels, current level, payout, leaderboard and avg. stack.

I have a big screen (that I cast from my PC), with the clock on, and I just use my phone to eliminate players, swap seats for tables, enter stack sizes etc.

When they have the password and link to the club, they can also view further scheduled tournaments and register directly on blindvalet for the tournament.

Why didn't you post this detail a just a day or two earlier! Now I have to see if I regret my purchase of Tournament Director :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

This is true - my job is in the human behavior space - we're definitely loss averse creatures. And it gets more interesting when you introduce random chance - like if you entered the players who were on time into a drawing for bonus chips versus just giving away bonus chips to all who meet the criteria.

Sorry.. I'm a bit dork for this stuff. Skip to the chart in the example on this page if you want the simple example of one of the main points of research on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospect_theory

Why didn't you post this detail a just a day or two earlier! Now I have to see if I regret my purchase of Tournament Director :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Dont even look at that other software. Its like anything else you buy. Car, boat, tv whatever. Once you make a purchase stop any and all further looking. The downside is just too great.:p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom