Tourney Whats an appropriate sizing for chip bonus? (3 Viewers)

renegadegatorman

High Hand
Reaction score
I realized I need to expand my player pool a little because I'm struggling to get a consistent enough turnout to host tournaments. I was thinking for my next tourney implementing a bonus for bringing a friend to play but am unsure of what's a good sizing for this bonus.

I use Chris Manzoni's 20,000 stack breakdown with the 2,000 on time bonus and 500 exact change bonus. I was thinking 1000 each to the regular and their guest. Too much? Too little? Won't move the needle? What do yall think?

I realized I need to expand my player pool a little because I'm struggling to get a consistent enough turnout to host tournaments. I was thinking for my next tourney implementing a bonus for bringing a friend to play but am unsure of what's a good sizing for this bonus.

I use Chris Manzoni's 20,000 stack breakdown with the 2,000 on time bonus and 500 exact change bonus. I was thinking 1000 each to the regular and their guest. Too much? Too little? Won't move the needle? What do yall think?
I think that's about right, you don't want it to be so big that people would rather not show up than earn the bonus. 1000 added to a 20,000 stack is just 5%, it's barely a token, but it's better than nothing and that might be good enough to get a better outcome. I certainly wouldn't go more than 10% for this.

Last edited:
I think that's about right, you don't want it to be so big that people would rather not show up than earn the bonus. 1000 added to a 20,000 stack is just 5%, it's barely a token, but it's better than nothing and that might be good enough to get a better outcome. I certainly wouldn't go more than 10% for this.
It was mostly just a guess but it seemed right. Feels like anything more than that would be unsustainable.

For our league we having a 10K starting stack, with a 1k bonus for RSVP’ing 24 hours early, 1k for being 15 minutes early and 1k for being seated at the start of the tournament.
Damn, seems like it really adds up. I'm guessing most of the winners are the ones who collect all three bonuses regularly?

I know it sounds like a lot, but it gets us solid count of who is coming (someone does dinner each week on a rotation) and gets us started right on time. Buy ins and seat draws are done 10 minutes before the scheduled start time so we are good to go. What if it does in essence is make it a 13k tourney.

I know it sounds like a lot, but it gets us solid count of who is coming (someone does dinner each week on a rotation) and gets us started right on time. Buy ins and seat draws are done 10 minutes before the scheduled start time so we are good to go. What if it does in essence is make it a 13k tourney.
That's the best way to do it, my on time bonus also cuts off at 10 minutes before start time and it hasn't failed me.

Anybody consider letting somebody who doesn’t otherwise qualify for the bonus chips pay extra for them?
I’ve never cared for the idea of early bonuses because they amount to late penalties (and in a tournament, everybody should be on equal ground.) But I guess I’d find them more acceptable if the player gets to choose whether it’s a chip penalty or a monetary penalty.

Anybody consider letting somebody who doesn’t otherwise qualify for the bonus chips pay extra for them?
I’ve never cared for the idea of early bonuses because they amount to late penalties (and in a tournament, everybody should be on equal ground.) But I guess I’d find them more acceptable if the player gets to choose whether it’s a chip penalty or a monetary penalty.
I have not personally done so, but you make a reasonable case for 'selling' the bonus chips to those that do not qualify.

Optional penalty for tardiness: fewer starting chips, or increased buy-in cost (added to the prize pool). I think the on-time players would be good with it either way.

Only downside I see is that it clearly moves the practice from an 'on-time chip bonus' into the 'late penalty' realm. Semantics can sometimes matter....

The idea is nice but I feel like it might muddy the waters of what the bonus is actually intended for. I've spent the money on chips, table, cards, and software while also putting in the time of researching tournaments and planning them for me and my friends. The only thing I ask in return if they choose to play, they show up on time. The bonus is my way of thanking them for respecting the time and effort I put into planning the game.

For us:
- Starting Chips - 5,000 Tournament Chips (T)
- All players arriving 15 minute prior to the stated start time will receive an additional 500T
- If you bring at least 2 $5 bills as part of your buy-in you will receive an additional 500T
Most people are on time and bring change…

For us:
- Starting Chips - 5,000 Tournament Chips (T)
- All players arriving 15 minute prior to the stated start time will receive an additional 500T
- If you bring at least 2 $5 bills as part of your buy-in you will receive an additional 500T
Most people are on time and bring change…
That's the way to do it. People respond to incentives and if you want someone to do something, incentivise them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom