Tourney Extra requirement for on time bonus? (1 Viewer)

renegadegatorman

High Hand
Reaction score
About 10 days ago I hosted my first tourney and it was quite popular with my group and they all really like the on time and exact change bonuses. So did I as it made things a little easier on me. I sent out the invite for the second tourney and haven't received as many confirmations from the players(this is common with my group even when we were playing cash games I wouldn't truly know how many were playing until about an hour before.)

My question is, should I make the on time bonus contingent on a RSVP as to encourage people to commit? thus giving me more info to work with when determining the prize pool and payout structure. Is this a bit extreme or possibly seen as non hospitable?

About 10 days ago I hosted my first tourney and it was quite popular with my group and they all really like the on time and exact change bonuses. So did I as it made things a little easier on me. I sent out the invite for the second tourney and haven't received as many confirmations from the players(this is common with my group even when we were playing cash games I wouldn't truly know how many were playing until about an hour before.)

My question is, should I make the on time bonus contingent on a RSVP as to encourage people to commit? thus giving me more info to work with when determining the prize pool and payout structure. Is this a bit extreme or possibly seen as non hospitable?
All depends on your group but its not a ridiculous ask. For some tournaments, it's a paid-ahead-of-time which is the only RSVP I really trust lol. Unless I have their money, I don't 100% expect them.

Fair, I think. But you likely know your players best and how they may respond. A different measure I've taken to is setting the blind clock to the game's advertised starting time. If the game starts gets delayed the blinds do not. Helps keep the tourny finish from running late. I have no idea if anyone else does this.

You could combine the two as you mention, however I feel you may get the RSVP's you're looking only to wind up with no-shows since they have nothing invested to lose.

If you accept electronic buy-ins, you could make the cash bonus contingent upon people paying the buy-in e.g. 24 hours in advance. Then you can still have an on-time bonus to encourage them to get there on time. If you only take cash buy ins, then this would not work.

may get the RSVP's you're looking only to wind up with no-shows since they have nothing invested to lose.
Unless I have their money, I don't 100% expect them.
I think you guys are probably right about this, something I haven't really considered. Like there's no point in getting RSVPs if a handful will cancel last minute anyway. Almost counterproductive.

Fair, I think. But you likely know your players best and how they may respond. A different measure I've taken to is setting the blind clock to the game's advertised starting time. If the game starts gets delayed the blinds do not. Helps keep the tourny finish from running late. I have no idea if anyone else does this.
I'm gonna see how things go the next couple of tournaments but I might do something like this eventually. My tournament started late but it was mostly my fault for not being fully prepared and it sucked being behind schedule all night. If there seems to always be something holding up the game's start I might have to follow suit.

I think you guys are probably right about this, something I haven't really considered. Like there's no point in getting RSVPs if a handful will cancel last minute anyway. Almost counterproductive.
Money talks. Especially for a tournament: cut the bullshit and send me your buyin and you get extra chips, makes the day and game go smoother and lets me know you'll definitely be there. Youll have boomers on here upset cause its not cash only but thats okay.

Our invite is sent two weeks prior to the tourney, player’s answer to the invite helps overall points for POY.
- you get 10 bonus pts for responding the first week
- 0 bonus points for answering the week of the tourney
- if you answered yes the first week but cancel:
- during the first week you do not get the bonus
- during the week prior to the game Monday-Thursday you get penalized 10 pts
- during the week prior to the game Friday -Saturday (game day) you get penalized 20 pts
- if you no show without a call, you get penalized 60 pts. 2 no shows is an automatic ban for a year
It sounds tough but all the players are ok with it and appreciate predictable consistent games. We have played fo 18 years and it has worked for us.

Our invite is sent two weeks prior to the tourney, player’s answer to the invite helps overall points for POY.
- you get 10 bonus pts for responding the first week
- 0 bonus points for answering the week of the tourney
- if you answered yes the first week but cancel:
- during the first week you do not get the bonus
- during the week prior to the game Monday-Thursday you get penalized 10 pts
- during the week prior to the game Friday -Saturday (game day) you get penalized 20 pts
- if you no show without a call, you get penalized 60 pts. 2 no shows is an automatic ban for a year
It sounds tough but all the players are ok with it and appreciate predictable consistent games. We have played fo 18 years and it has worked for us.
I like this system, I havent started a league yet but if I do I may implement something similar.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom