Tourney What behaviors do you incentivize with bonus chips? (3 Viewers)

Larold

Pair
Reaction score
When hosting a home tournament and wanting to incentivize certain types of behavior, what habits / behaviors do you like to reward, and how many extra chips (relative to starting stack) do you add for said behavior? What I can think of so far:

- Arrive by certain time
- Contribute $$ to food or brings snacks / drinks
- RSVP by certain date

What else have you all tried or can you think of?

-On time / early
-Exact change / small bills to help the banker
-Participation streak. I just made this one up. I wouldn't mind giving a player a bonus for making say 3 games in a row. Keeps the attendance up.

I would bonus about 5% so it's not too far stacked but still good for a few BB. So if you do all three you can get +%15 to start. Not bad.

I was going to implement

- First winning hand of the night
- Highest hand of the night (but now sure how to bonus this one out, possibly for next game)

I was going to implement

- First winning hand of the night
- Highest hand of the night (but now sure how to bonus this one out, possibly for next game)
For highest hand of the night, you could have the cutoff be at a specific time. Or if you do a re-buy period, have it for the highest hand during the re-buy period.

For highest hand of the night, you could have the cutoff be at a specific time. Or if you do a re-buy period, have it for the highest hand during the re-buy period.
This is what we do. We keep the high and on the dry erase board and settle it at a certain time. Usually towards the end since you don’t have to be present to win

The last game I did the following and everyone seemed to like it. Keep in mind we do a 1:1 chip value

Starting stack 50 chips
15 chip - Host Bonus
10 chip - On time/Early arrival Bonus
5 chip - Exact Change

Potential starting stacks
70 - Host
65 - Players

The last game I did the following and everyone seemed to like it. Keep in mind we do a 1:1 chip value

Starting stack 50 chips
15 chip - Host Bonus
10 chip - On time/Early arrival Bonus
5 chip - Exact Change

Potential starting stacks
70 - Host
65 - Players
A host bonus seems unfair, does the host responsibilities rotate?

A host bonus seems unfair, does the host responsibilities rotate?
I’ve been host since the start, deal all night, usually provide tostadas and queso, and setup / tear down the table and chairs. I think a host bonus seems fair. I’ve offered others to host and only one has offered but still hasn’t happened. If it does then host bonus goes to him.

Where do I send the pics?
No Way Do Not Want GIF

-On time / early
-Exact change / small bills to help the banker
-Participation streak. I just made this one up. I wouldn't mind giving a player a bonus for making say 3 games in a row. Keeps the attendance up.

I would bonus about 5% so it's not too far stacked but still good for a few BB. So if you do all three you can get +%15 to start. Not bad.
I like the idea of a Streak Bonus. It would take some bookkeeping but I like it. Maybe 250 for the 2nd appearance in a row, 500 for the 3rd, 750 for the 4th then cap it at 1000 for the 5th/6th etc consecutive appearance(s) & then would reset after each season.

I havn't run a regular tournament in a couple of years but I think this is gonna be adopted. Along with a 1000 On-Time Bonus it wouldn't be too out of control for 10k starting stacks.

I like the idea of a Streak Bonus. It would take some bookkeeping but I like it. Maybe 250 for the 2nd appearance in a row, 500 for the 3rd, 750 for the 4th then cap it at 1000 for the 5th/6th etc consecutive appearance(s) & then would reset after each season.

I havn't run a regular tournament in a couple of years but I think this is gonna be adopted. Along with a 1000 On-Time Bonus it wouldn't be too out of control for 10k starting stacks.
Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

Not a fan of host bonus either. You should only get an on-time bonus.
Of course I’ll be on time, I’m the host. I did run all the bonuses by the group beforehand and all gave a thumbs up no issues.

I wasn’t trying to give myself an unfair advantage but if I’m starting out with a few extra, I see the point.

Most if not all of these bonuses are aimed towards the players/regulars to keep coming around. Considering what kind of effort a host puts into a game if the group is cool with it then I see no problem. But I’m down for adjustments or other suggestions. I might see an issue if another player hosts and doesn’t get the same bonus so I might be stuck with it.

Of course I’ll be on time, I’m the host. I did run all the bonuses by the group beforehand and all gave a thumbs up no issues.

I wasn’t trying to give myself an unfair advantage but if I’m starting out with a few extra, I see the point.

Most if not all of these bonuses are aimed towards the players/regulars to keep coming around. Considering what kind of effort a host puts into a game if the group is cool with it then I see no problem. But I’m down for adjustments or other suggestions. I might see an issue if another player hosts and doesn’t get the same bonus so I might be stuck with it.
As the only host in my group, I understand your rationale.

However I just charge them all $20. That covers the food, beverages, and equipment costs. I did a tip box for years, but it wasn't covering the spread. So I send an email, said I was adding a hospitality charge to the tournament buy-in. I had zero objections.

None. Use the power of charisma, it's more effective. Be happy with them when they show up at the arrival time. Make a little stink about what it's going to do to the tournament when they show up late. Social pressure trumps minor "monetary" rewards in effectiveness.

I generally run two tables, and generally have 0-1 late people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom