Beverages - what do you stock in your mini fridge for friendly home games??? (2 Viewers)

stargod05

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I assume a mixture of beer, flavored drinks, water? Specifically on the water, what do you find is nice to fit a standard 4" table cup holder?

Also, anything else?

Beers, fizzy drinks (soda), juice, ginger beer.

I have water in a 5L cooler with narrow party cups which fit in my cup holdere.

I supply a few bottles of bourbon. I don't really drink beer. They bring their own. I have a local that plays. He rarely drinks. He will bring a 12 pack of beer to donate to the party.

Sometimes I will make a round of old fashioneds to start the night off.

The only other drink I provide is bottled water.

I love making and drinking cocktails, but found that it was a pain to constantly be away from my seat making drinks and missing hands. Currently, my game plan is:
  • A single cocktail at the beginning of the night, usually Espresso Martinis using Morgenthaler's recipe (which is batchable and pretty efficient),
  • Beer, soda, seltzer (helpful both for hydrating and folks that don't drink and don't want sugar all night, I love Spindrift especially),
  • Coffee (usually using the same cold brew concentrate that I used for the espresso martinis),
  • Single-malt stuff or an easy, two-ingredient cocktail later in the night for those interested (Godfathers, French Connections, and others that don't really require shaking/stirring)

In the fridge: a case of some light beer plus whatever mix of beer/IPA/hard seltzer people left behind last time. Case of cheap bottles water. Some mix of soda, flavored fizz water, and ginger beer.

On the bar: I'll set out a few select bourbons. Some of the more daring players will reach up on the shelf and get something nicer :cool. Bottle of vodka and tequila or rum.

I am trying to come up with a few ideas for batch cocktails to feature, something I can premake a pitcher full of. Maybe margaritas next time. Currently I make Moscow mules to order, at least those are pretty quick to make a few at a time. I love making old fashioneds but those take too long to make mid game and I don't know how well they'll keep in a pitcher.

Fiji waters and diet sodas. Hardly ever need to put beer in there because people always bring more than they need. Then my liquor cabinet etc. And I always make a specialty cocktail for the evening.

@lolfdgb i use this tool chest to play and make cocktails on top. Post it right beside my seat.

F2052F1D-56FE-4493-85C5-9542EB54F71E.png
CB13E3F2-924B-4A49-B2D3-A46E521C5995.png

And it holds 4000 chips or so

I supply bottled water, soda, beer, and an entry level bottle or two of bourbon/whiskey. People always bring beer and really I only buy what I like to drink because I usually have more than I know what to do with when all is said and done. If anyone wants anything different they bring it.

I always have cheap American light beer, bottled water, and something else - either Gatorade or soda or Snapple or something.

In the fridge: a case of some light beer plus whatever mix of beer/IPA/hard seltzer people left behind last time. Case of cheap bottles water. Some mix of soda, flavored fizz water, and ginger beer.

On the bar: I'll set out a few select bourbons. Some of the more daring players will reach up on the shelf and get something nicer :cool. Bottle of vodka and tequila or rum.

I am trying to come up with a few ideas for batch cocktails to feature, something I can premake a pitcher full of. Maybe margaritas next time. Currently I make Moscow mules to order, at least those are pretty quick to make a few at a time. I love making old fashioneds but those take too long to make mid game and I don't know how well they'll keep in a pitcher.
Negroni and variants are the only thing I can think of to batch. I make an old fashioned in the glass so they aren't too bad.

Unless you're raking, how do you host games and supply drinks for your players ? I get the joy in having friends and such, but supply drinks and such can add it up quick.

Unless you're raking, how do you host games and supply drinks for your players ? I get the joy in having friends and such, but supply drinks and such can add it up quick.
Personally I just serve cheap stuff, so no big deal. Sometimes I get enough tips cover it, sometimes I don’t. No big deal.

I buy soda when it’s on sale (buy 2, get 3 free). I’ll buy 30 12 packs and that lasts a long time. Bottled water at Costco is 3.99 for a 40 pack. Average cost per month basically breaks down to $20 / month. Hotdogs and buns, add another $15-$20.

My house is BYOB, so I don’t mind putting out $30-$40 per month.

Last soda haul…
IMG_4581.jpeg

No rake. I provide all the drinks and food. People often bring their own too. I try to limit my cost to one buy in ($100). I'm usually around half this.

the way I look at it, if I'm going to have a losing night, I'm probably out several buy ins so what's another $50-$60. If I have a winning night, I covered my costs and feel less like I just took my friends' money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom