Oiling Chips Done Right (8 Viewers)

Newcomer here!
Reading through this was really enjoyable and I know how I will occupy my next week end !

2000 chips to go through! Probably go with the compression technique one by one for a first go and keep the water/oil "batch" technique for a later cleaning/refreshing down the line.

Newcomer here!
Reading through this was really enjoyable and I know how I will occupy my next week end !

2000 chips to go through! Probably go with the compression technique one by one for a first go and keep the water/oil "batch" technique for a later cleaning/refreshing down the line.
2 thousand chips, 1 by 1 like this? Offff. Have the Biofeeeze handy!

Well this is basically a 50/50 split of Paulson THC chips and China Clay WSOP replica.

I would have used the dunking in water/oil technique for the 1000 CC WSOP ones; but I read we have to be careful with those regarding labels as there could often be off-centred or misglued labels with this quality.

Well this is basically a 50/50 split of Paulson THC chips and China Clay WSOP replica.

I would have used the dunking in water/oil technique for the 1000 CC WSOP ones; but I read we have to be careful with those regarding labels as there could often be off-centred or misglued labels with this quality.
Paulsons are ok to do the oil in water method in. I would not do that with China clays or CPC's for the reason you mentioned above.

Especially CPC 's, I've heard horrible horror stories of chips getting destroyed by the oil and water method. Best to clean with a damp cloth and oil by hand.

Paulsons are ok to do the oil in water method in. I would not do that with China clays or CPC's for the reason you mentioned above.

Especially CPC 's, I've heard horrible horror stories of chips getting destroyed by the oil and water method. Best to clean with a damp cloth and oil by hand.
+1 water/oil the Paulsons (if they have shaped inlay or are older I’d HIGHLY suggest only doing by hand via the rolling-edge-in-barrels method) and compression oil the CCs

Yeah thats what I suspected... I will unfortunately go one by one !

Good to know the Paulson could be OK to go in the water/oil thing.
Part of my THC Paulson set (this is the top hat and cane classic ones https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product/top-hat-and-cane-paulson-poker-chips/) is in good condition and I may use this technique. Other part is totally mint and I guess I will first use them a bit for "natural oiling" :p before doing anything to those.

I'm pretty sure I over oiled my sample CC's. My fingers are still getting moisturised 4 days later! I still like them though. Much better then what I've been playing quite happily with for the past 15 years.

The more time I spend on this forum the more likely it is I'll skip the CC's anyway. Just waiting on my sample Paulson's.

Does anyone have a CC set they use for their 'slob' poker nights, and a more premium set they use when playing with people who aren't likely to grease the chips up?

I'm pretty sure I over oiled my sample CC's. My fingers are still getting moisturised 4 days later! I still like them though. Much better then what I've been playing quite happily with for the past 15 years.

The more time I spend on this forum the more likely it is I'll skip the CC's anyway. Just waiting on my sample Paulson's.

Does anyone have a CC set they use for their 'slob' poker nights, and a more premium set they use when playing with people who aren't likely to grease the chips up?
Yeah that's pretty common, or very used paulsons for people who are not chip friendly
Minty paulsons for those who carry the appreciation

Great post I’ll have to try this. Question is oiling doesn’t actually protect the chip right? It’s more of an esthetic thing only as I understand?

oiling doesn’t actually protect the chip right?
Oiling with mineral oil can protect some types of porous chips from being contaminated with or absorbing non-desirable elements (like sweat, food oils, organic material, etc., which can become rancid or encourage bacteria growth).

Handled oiled CPC's for the first time today... it's a no thanks for me. While the chips looked really really nice, I couldn't stand getting my hand/fingers greasy by handling them.

Handled oiled CPC's for the first time today... it's a no thanks for me. While the chips looked really really nice, I couldn't stand getting my hand/fingers greasy by handling them.

Then they were not oiled correctly.. part of the process is to wipe off excess and allow to dry. They should NOT feel greasy.

Question on the step after the letting them sit on the paper towels for couple days (wiping the oil from the label.) Do you use the same rag or use a non-oiled rag?

And there shouldn't be any oil on the labels (or inlays). Minimal use of oil is key -- however much you *think* you need, cut that in half, and it's probably still too much by a factor of two.

Seriously, a single drop of oil is probably enough to oil close to an entire barrel of 20 chips, and you'll still want to wipe off the excess.

Done. 625 chips in 4 hours. Granted I also watched two Netflix movies and a few TV episodes in the meantime. Now the waiting game starts.

IMG_20190928_015042195.jpg
IMG_20190928_015012630.jpg

For me the key has been to let them air dry.

I was too impatient when I was doing a set of Majestic s and moved to the next step too soon. I ended up redoing them. Don't think I'd want to let them soak a week though. LOL

Thanks for the detailed info! I'm jealous, those Milano's look fantastic!!!

Worked pretty well for me! Though it lasts longer, I still feel they inevitably lose some oil after a week or so. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Thanks!

I just oiled a few hundred Royals. They look beeeeaauuuutifull! I want to reiterate what someone said above. The key here is letting them air dry completely. I think this makes a big diffs. When you wipe them down, there should hardly be any oil left. I left mine for over a week. I think I rushed this process the last time I did it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom