Oiling Chips Done Right (13 Viewers)

This is a very helpful thread, and I appreciate everyone's contributions. I used the compression method on my custom CPC tournament set I received earlier this year.

I am very pleased with the results!! The middle barrel in each rack is unoiled, right out of the shipping box. The difference is much more profound from the barrel view.

Would definitely recommend this method. Totally worth the effort.
20190716_165629.jpg
20190716_165532.jpg
20190716_165144.jpg
20190716_165310.jpg
20190716_165353.jpg
20190716_165604.jpg
20190716_165543.jpg
20190716_165044.jpg
20190716_165202.jpg
20190716_165322.jpg

Last edited:
This is a very helpful thread, and I appreciate everyone's contributions. I used the compression method on my custom i received earlier this year.

I am very pleased with the results!! The middle barrel in each rack is unoiled, right out of the shipping box. The difference is much more profound from the barrel view.

Would definitely recommend this method. Totally worth the effort.

They look absolutley incredible. Great work. Thankful it was helpful and paid off.

@Stibnite, a few questions for you :)

When oiling a chip, on average how many laps around the chip would you say it requires?

How do you air dry the whole chip? As you can see in the pictures in my introduction post linked below, only one side and the rolling edge gets air dried.
I needed chips to be cleaned and oiled

Thanks!

@Stibnite, a few questions for you :)

When oiling a chip, on average how many laps around the chip would you say it requires?

How do you air dry the whole chip? As you can see in the pictures in my introduction post linked below, only one side and the rolling edge gets air dried.

Thanks!

Just 1-3 tops. I just turn it a rotation till it feels smooth in the cloth to me. Commonly one round does it.

As for air drying, you can flip them, but not really necessary. You just want to wipe off excess from the label if any. Ultimately, the goal is to seal them and after that you're just touching up the edges moving forward.

Thanks again for this post. I did this over 2 years ago to my Milano’s. I later added more chips and did not oil the new ones. I just tonight went back and oiled the newer ones. it was very easy to pick out the un-oiled chips from the oiled ones, even after 2 years of light play.

Highly recommended!
-Aaron

Thanks again for this post. I did this over 2 years ago to my Milano’s. I later added more chips and did not oil the new ones. I just tonight went back and oiled the newer ones. it was very easy to pick out the un-oiled chips from the oiled ones, even after 2 years of light play.

Highly recommended!
-Aaron

Most welcome. I'm very happy with how easy touching them up is. Very glad it worked out for you as well.

Oh- no I wasn’t touching up the original set, I was finally getting around to oiling new ones I added later. I was amazed that even after 2 years, the difference between Milano’s oiled your way vs. un-oiled was very obvious.

Hey all,

I have some Majestics coming in later on this week and definitely want to oil them down. Small problem I would have is that I don't have any plastic racks to hold the chips after wiping down the edges (I have a case ready to go). Could one conceivably just let the edges dry on a towel, same as when the whole chip was cleaned?

Hey all,

I have some Majestics coming in later on this week and definitely want to oil them down. Small problem I would have is that I don't have any plastic racks to hold the chips after wiping down the edges (I have a case ready to go). Could one conceivably just let the edges dry on a towel, same as when the whole chip was cleaned?
Wiping the edges typically removes the excess but if you're still concerned you can let them dry another day after wiping them off

Hey all,

You won't have to worry about edges drying. Only facings. Gravity takes care of the edges quite well. Plus it is mineral oil, so isn't going to hurt anything it comes into contact with by not being in trays. You're good. :)

You won't have to worry about edges drying. Only facings. Gravity takes care of the edges quite well. Plus it is mineral oil, so isn't going to hurt anything it comes into contact with by not being in trays. You're good. :)
I'm sorry I'm just circling back around this now.

I found that I was wiping the edges with oil quite a bit when I was compressing the faces. Everything is looking good 24 hours later but think I may have even put on too much oil on some of the chips. A couple of them are blotchy with drops of oil still on the chips. Thinking of waiting until tomorrow to see if it settles in. I re-oiled my rag with another cap full of oil after about every 150 or 200 chips. Too much?

Anyway, going to dry off the stickers tomorrow and roll the edges and set them on paper towels again to dry for another day. Will post pics when they're done. I did put one drying chip next to an un-oiled chip today and have to say, the oiled chip looks incredible in comparison.

A "capful" of oil would probably do the edges and faces of several hundred chips. I use about 1mL, maybe 1.5mL for every hundred. And most of it is still left on the rag.

A "capful" of oil would probably do the edges and faces of several hundred chips. I use about 1mL, maybe 1.5mL for every hundred. And most of it is still left on the rag.
Whoops!

Guess I'm going to have some super oily faces on a few of them.

You'll be fine. It'll still dry.
I think so. I'm playing it safe and waiting the whole 48 hours before drying the labels so as to not smudge any oil that hasn't dried yet onto the faces. I also flipped over the really oily ones to let some of the excess drip onto the paper towels. The other non blotchy chips look awesome, though!

Will see what they look like when I come home from work in a few hours!

Anyone have pics say 1 year later after using this method, and comparing them against a freshly oiled barrel, and a new unoiled barrel?

Also, I recall that oiling my chips made them feel more slippery vs that chalky feel right out the box. The Royals texture is fantastic and has that chalky feel. I'm worried I will lose this upon oiling. Thanks.

Anyone have pics say 1 year later after using this method, and comparing them against a freshly oiled barrel, and a new unoiled barrel?

Also, I recall that oiling my chips made them feel more slippery vs that chalky feel right out the box. The Royals texture is fantastic and has that chalky feel. I'm worried I will lose this upon oiling. Thanks.

If you prefer the chalky feel, then I can't recommend oiling. That said, if they get used a lot, they'll get quite dirty over time without protection and become difficult to restore.

I won't say it'll make them slippery once they fully dry, but it may well give them a clean feel and remove the chalkyness. I suggest doing maybe a few of them and seeing the turnout.

You will lose that chalky feel because cleaning and oiling your chips will remove the loose chip dust that's on all the surfaces. If you like chalk, use them right out of the box. Eventually they will get dirty, but hopefully not quickly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom