Oiling Chips Done Right (8 Viewers)

It's not likely the oil will dry if it is on the inlay area, you may need to wipe down with a cloth. The edges should dry
I decided to take them out of the racks and let them air dry for probably another week or so. I would rather them be more on the matte side than oily to the touch.

Thanks for post , very informative ad I have Le Paulsons and the mineral oil helps with cleaning and colour maintenance of my chips.

Just milled up, cleaned, and oiled a rack of El Dorado fracs.

IMG_20200202_135546.jpg

Just milled up, cleaned, and oiled a rack of El Dorado fracs.

I thought the general consensus was that chips should be milled, washed, dried, labels applied, then oiled? Something about how oiling them first can affect how the labels stick. I might be wrong on this, maybe @Gear could offer his expert opinion.

I thought the general consensus was that chips should be milled, washed, dried, labels applied, then oiled? Something about how oiling them first can affect how the labels stick. I might be wrong on this, maybe @Gear could offer his expert opinion.
Yeah, I think the jury is still out on this. Plus since the labels have not even been ordered yet, the chips have plenty of time to dry. Not expecting any issues. Worse comes to worse and the labels don't seem to adhere, I'll ultrasonic clean the chips again and then label before edge oiling.

the chips have plenty of time to dry

This. I think it's OK to oil chips either well before, or well after applying labels. Basically you either want to give the adhesive a couple of days to fully adhere/cure/dry/whatever, or give the oil a few days (or more) to dry/soak-in/whatever.

I have cleaned, oiled, labelled chips (with @Gear laminated matte labels), and played them the same night MANY times with 0 issues. You just have to make sure you wipe down the inlay area well and given them about an hour or two before labeling.

I always get a chuckle when people talk about having to dry the chips out for so long. Ask @Jeevansluck , I don't hold back on the amount of oil I put on each chip.

Your experience may differ. ‍♂️

I have cleaned, oiled, labelled chips (with @Gear laminated matte labels), and played them the same night MANY times with 0 issues. You just have to make sure you wipe down the inlay area well and given them about an hour or two before labeling.

I always get a chuckle when people talk about having to dry the chips out for so long. Ask @Jeevansluck , I don't hold back on the amount of oil I put on each chip.

Your experience may differ. ‍♂
I just finished a murder relabeling project of 250+ chips.

I washed and oiled all of them, and labeled the same day after an afternoon of drying on large towels. Flipped once after a couple hours.

I gave about 5-6 hrs of drying, and applied labels. I've since gone and checked EACH chip, and found no issues or problems with any labels.

I just oiled a few hundred Royals. They look beeeeaauuuutifull! I want to reiterate what someone said above. The key here is letting them air dry completely. I think this makes a big diffs. When you wipe them down, there should hardly be any oil left. I left mine for over a week. I think I rushed this process the last time I did it.
This is exactly what I’m doing. Oiled about 750 on Sunday, flipped on Wednesday. Will oil edges and rack them maybe tomorrow. They look great atm but I’m gonna be patient and let them completely air dry. Doing the same with the other 300 or so I oiled last night.

D8D0D6F7-9139-4B7E-8CD7-F0ECD29F80F6.jpeg
4DD754CF-DE73-434D-A9D3-C40E3C1E1A6B.jpeg

Last edited:
Posted this in the Royals pron thread but I guess it belongs here, really. Chips were air dried on paper towels for a week, turning once in between. Wiped the recessed inlay area and then did the barrel edge oil step with my old cloth. Wish I had before pics, because the difference is night and day.

BE3E3402-E762-447C-B3A1-E8D576D49A41.jpeg
3789A706-C950-429B-A927-C1D1394F220A.jpeg
E5B5F08F-423E-41C0-8CBB-427303A1E69D.jpeg
33094395-D376-4E44-BC2A-E9630AC31841.jpeg

Chips were air dried on paper towels for a week, turning once in between.
I'm a bit curious about this, and about air drying in general. When I've flipped the chips they have still been a tad oily on the side which has air dried but completely dry on the bottom side. Was this your experience?

If my chips are not an anomaly, then are the chips really air dried? Isn't just one side (and the rolling edge) air dried while the oil on the other side is simply absorbed into the material it lays on?

I'm a bit curious about this, and about air drying in general. When I've flipped the chips they have still been a tad oily on the side which has air dried but completely dry on the bottom side. Was this your experience?

If my chips are not an anomaly, then are the chips really air dried? Isn't just one side (and the rolling edge) air dried while the oil on the other side is simply absorbed into the material it lays on?

Yes, which is why you put the oiled chips onto some sort of absorbent material, like paper or fabric towels, or a bedsheet, and you flip them. And then throw away or wash the material that has soaked up the excess oil.

Yes, which is why you put the oiled chips onto some sort of absorbent material, like paper or fabric towels, or a bedsheet, and you flip them. And then throw away or wash the material that has soaked up the excess oil.
So then just one side is air dried, right? And if this is what everyone is doing and nobody is seeing any difference between the sides, then does really "air drying" have a effect?

Or am I missing something?

So then just one side is air dried, right? And if this is what everyone is doing and nobody is seeing any difference between the sides, then does really "air drying" have a effect?

Or am I missing something?
I always thought air drying was a thing, but the following comment changed my mind.

I will also add that I do not believe there is any reason to let them air-dry, unless you are using the oil and water method. Mineral oil does not evaporate. I put mine directly into clear racks after using the wipe-on, wipe-off method. The racks were unmarked, except for my oily fingerprints.

Since mineral oil does not evaporate, it seems to me that laying the chips on paper towels serves two purposes. (1) gives the chip time to absorb oil on its own time. (2) it gives time for excess oil to be absorbed by the paper towels.

I always thought air drying was a thing, but the following comment changed my mind.

Since mineral oil does not evaporate, it seems to me that laying the chips on paper towels serves two purposes. (1) gives the chip time to absorb oil on its own time. (2) it gives time for excess oil to be absorbed by the paper towels.
Spot on.

Wow those royals look incredible. They might be my first purchase after seeing how good they look cleaned and oiled!

Middle barrels are not oiled and you can tell the difference. I laid my chips on a beach towel for a few days and then used the cloth I did the compression method with to clean of any excess oil. Worked great!

Attachments

• EA82C249-A941-426C-AD35-3E4DD01E809C.jpeg
    EA82C249-A941-426C-AD35-3E4DD01E809C.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 1AD252FA-847D-46AB-9BCC-5403FC9E1E7B.jpeg
    1AD252FA-847D-46AB-9BCC-5403FC9E1E7B.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 196
Talk me down off the ledge here. Decided to try this method on my Royals. How is the label not going to get messed up if I let it dry for 2 days???

I'm really fighting the urge to grab my babies and wipe the excess off the labels...

IMG_20200308_225805.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom