Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (47 Viewers)

734A6814-A937-4DD5-BEF5-6CB66495D28C.jpeg

Is that nikka days any good. I tried a bunch of the nikka offerings and they were impressive. Except for the 17 and 21 which I can even get anymore

The Nikka Days was very easy drinker. I had multiple pours during our flight. LOL Nice floral and fruity notes. I liken it to my daily Redwood Empire Lost Monarch.

The Nikka Gold & Gold had more woody taste and slightly higher alcohol burn. Both good drinkers but the G&G would be good only if you can get it at a fair price. My brother got his bottle at the Duty Free.

I figured I'd go ahead and rep some Arizona love here. Stopped at the brewery/distillery on my way home from @bergs mini-AZ meetup yesterday and enjoyed this enough to get a bottle for home.

94EBEA60-82D0-4EDF-A6A6-AA07BE766501.jpeg

It's hard to describe beyond "not your typical rye". There's a little something extra here I can't quite place, but I enjoy a whole lot. Definitely a good sipper. I'll need to to a more careful tasting to be able to give a better description of the flavors. I'm also going to have to try making a Manhattan or Old Fashioned with it to see how it mixes.

I figured I'd go ahead and rep some Arizona love here. Stopped at the brewery/distillery on my way home from @bergs mini-AZ meetup yesterday and enjoyed this enough to get a bottle for home.

View attachment 963266

It's hard to describe beyond "not your typical rye". There's a little something extra here I can't quite place, but I enjoy a whole lot. Definitely a good sipper. I'll need to to a more careful tasting to be able to give a better description of the flavors. I'm also going to have to try making a Manhattan or Old Fashioned with it to see how it mixes.
They have a marshmallow flavored whiskey that is pretty good too.

Got 2 more days of banishment and feeling considerably better! Might have a pour or two out of the survival kit while I finish Peaky Blinders.View attachment 963136

Just had some WT101, lol. Followed it with a much better pour of 1792 small batch. All this b/c I watched that Bourbon Junkies vid of <$30 best bottles

Alright, so I wanna get into old fashion’s but I’m sadly allergic to cinnamon which is a common ingredient in almost all bitters…

Most companies won’t disclose exactly what spices they use to make their bitters so I’ve just mainly stayed away.

This leaves me with two options:

1. Make my own, this could be fun since I love little projects - but maybe a little costly and time consuming.

2. Find a company that definitely doesn’t have cinnamon as an ingredient

Thoughts?

Alright, so I wanna get into old fashion’s but I’m sadly allergic to cinnamon which is a common ingredient in almost all bitters…

Most companies won’t disclose exactly what spices they use to make their bitters so I’ve just mainly stayed away.

1. Make my own, this could be fun since I love little projects - but maybe a little costly and time consuming.

Thoughts?
I wish I could help. My only thought is that I hope this works out for you. Old fashions are one of my two go to pre dinner cocktails when dining out.

3rd store to get ECBP private barrel in town the last few months. But this one is only 8 years old?
View attachment 963635

Also saw this...
View attachment 963636
My guy got six of the Chicken Cock 20yr bottles. He got lucky and sold one in four months. I think he is stuck with the rest. I'd try it if they moved the decimal point to the left one spot.

I discovered a bottle of 1979 Booker's in the back of the bar.

I thought some of you Booker's fans might appreciate it. I've never been much of a Bourbon drinker. I mainly drink Single Malt if I'm drinking Whisky, and that is why it is still around. In the 80's and early 90's I had a liquor store and wine shop. As a gift to their retailers, Jim Beam's Booker Noe, bottled and hand signed 2400 bottles of this 1979 whiskey. At the time, they did not sell it.

View attachment 961630View attachment 961632
This is amazing!

The tasting group I run did a vertical of a bunch of Bookers, including 30th Anniversary, a few years back.

F06C55DC-E415-45D0-A9B4-C73C6DBF668D.jpeg
1EC4ADCA-3547-433A-9B37-0D3840A80C22.jpeg

Last edited:
20220808_212755.jpg

Been lucky finding BT and ER lately in Wake fucking County. Sent my buddy in about 45 mins later and the last 2 bottles were gone. I really thought they'd be there, it was around 8pm. Limit 1 per customer.

Last edited:
I have to check on the age of my local EC Private Barrel.

I had never seen them here, then BOOM, 3 stores had private barrels. So, new experience for me. The reason I was shocked at the 8 year statement is, the regular ECBP is 12 years. The other 2 stores had private barrels with 10 year and an 11 year. So 8 seemed young for ECBP. Can't wait to try it though!!

Drinking Disco 5 right now. I get that Flinstone vitamin thing for sure. I like it, but I do NOT love it. That said, I do have a bottle of Disco 7 I am really looking forward to after this bottle. Exciting review...

Thoughts?
Basically you pick a selection of spices/botanicals and infuse in Everclear for several days. Here's one cinnamon-free recipe I found, but there are plenty more out there: https://www.thespruceeats.com/basic-homemade-bitters-recipe-760289

Most ingredients can be found locally, but the less common stuff can be found on Amazon.

Let me know how it turns out if you make this!

Basically you pick a selection of spices/botanicals and infuse in Everclear for several days. Here's one cinnamon-free recipe I found, but there are plenty more out there: https://www.thespruceeats.com/basic-homemade-bitters-recipe-760289

Most ingredients can be found locally, but the less common stuff can be found on Amazon.

Let me know how it turns out if you make this!
that's awesome.

@Pinkdan here is a bitters that is more citrus and doesn't list cinnamon

https://yummybazaar.com/products/ol...WrFdB35HCUBV3_yWrcho60PYZQXY3bQRoC4U8QAvD_BwE

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom