Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (27 Viewers)

Basil Hayden Dark Rye now, man after drinking bourbon most if the night I can really tell the difference on the Rye. A very distinct grassy, vegetal taste on the finish.

Has anyone tried any of the Game of Thrones editions from Diageo? I’m particularly interested in the Lagavulin, Oban and Talisker.

Basil Hayden Dark Rye now, man after drinking bourbon most if the night I can really tell the difference on the Rye. A very distinct grassy, vegetal taste on the finish.

I don't like Basil Hayden. It doesn't taste like much to me. I did enjoy the Dark. Just not enough at their price point.

Has anyone tried any of the Game of Thrones editions from Diageo? I’m particularly interested in the Lagavulin, Oban and Talisker.

Yes. I have tried the Lagavulin, Oban, Talisker, Clynelish and Dalwhinnie. Not bad pours but not much to add to their official bottling release imo. Of those, I liked the Lagavulin and Clynelish the best. The Lagavulin seats somewhere between the 8 and 16 taste-wise, but I prefer both of those to the GoT. I prefer the standard Clynelish 14 than the GoT.

Now, they are definitely not bad. In fact, for the gimmick it is, Diageo did a good job with those. They are somewhat of a "more tamed" version of the originals so they can get more people into Single Malts, imo.

I don't like Basil Hayden. It doesn't taste like much to me. I did enjoy the Dark. Just not enough at their price point.

It's definitely not the most complex whiskey, but it's pretty easy drinking for a newbie like me. Mostly I was just surprised how much different the Rye tasted after drinking so much non-rye.

I agree though, the bottle was a gift and I'm not sure I'd buy another handle of BH with other more tasty stuff out there at a similar price point.

Mostly I was just surprised how much different the Rye tasted after drinking so much non-rye.

In fairness, what might have provided the clear distinction might not have been the “Rye”: BH Dark Rye is more of a cocktail than a straight whiskey since it is a blend of Rye whiskeys and Port Wine. Instead of just using ex-Port barrels to “finish” the whiskey in a secondary (often quickly) maturation, Beam decided to add Port Wine straight into the Rye whiskey. It’s a head scratcher tbh. It is not a bad pour per se, but not sure I’d call it whiskey myself.

Last edited:
In fairness, what might have provided the clear distinction might not have been the “Rye”: BH Dark Rye is more of a cocktail than a straight whiskey since it is a blend of Rye whiskeys and Port Wine. Instead of just using ex-Port barrels to “finish” the whiskey in a secondary (often quickly) maturation, Bean decided to add Port Wine straight into the Rye whiskey. It’s a head scratcher tbh. It is not a bad poor per se, but not sure I’d call it whiskey myself.
Wow, adding wine to whiskey. That is crazy! Now I kind of want to try it.
How do you know all this cool stuff Paulo?!?!

In fairness, what might have provided the clear distinction might not have been the “Rye”: BH Dark Rye is more of a cocktail than a straight whiskey since it is a blend of Rye whiskeys and Port Wine. Instead of just using ex-Port barrels to “finish” the whiskey in a secondary (often quickly) maturation, Beam decided to add Port Wine straight into the Rye whiskey. It’s a head scratcher tbh. It is not a bad pour per se, but not sure I’d call it whiskey myself.

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting. Aging in Port Casks =yes. Blending the Port I hadn’t heard of either. I guess it would have to be a very small amount. All kinds of info on this forum!

Yeah you're right, initially I had only seen that it was blended with Canadian whiskey.

Now I'm wishing I would have tasted the Bulleit Rye to see if I could really distinguish the Rye character.

This turned out to be one of my favorite bottles. Im sad that it's already gone.

20190804_181709.jpg

Recently discovered Skrewball Whiskey. It’s peanut butter! It’s sweeter, like a dessert whiskey if there is such a thing. Get it as cold as possible and its actually good!

Weller Special Reserve, harder to find, buy one of my new favorites. Wheated Bourbon. It expensive at all!

Recently discovered Skrewball Whiskey. It’s peanut butter! It’s sweeter, like a dessert whiskey if there is such a thing. Get it as cold as possible and its actually good!
I first heard about Skrewball in this forum a week ago! I want to try it mixed with chocolate liqueur, maybe with milk. Sounds delicious!

Reactions: H|Q
Was thinking about trying a sip of that a few months back and decided not to just from the strong odour of hospital waiting room it gave off lol

I definitely can understand that. However. i don't get it. This is a very smooth drink.

Weller Special Reserve, harder to find, buy one of my new favorites. Wheated Bourbon. It expensive at all!

The Weller 107 was a much better drink IMO. Luckily my neighbors own a liquor store so I get first dibs on the good stuff before it goes on the shelf. Unluckily I live in the 2nd most expensive state for Liquor.

Had another version tonight.

View attachment 329441

Tried the tasting at PDX and enjoyed them all.

Nice, the stout barrel one was okay, but I don't think I'd reach for it again...too spendy for what it was as well IMO. My neighbor said he was going to pick up that black label at some point, I'm interested to try.

Was thinking about trying a sip of that a few months back and decided not to just from the strong odour of hospital waiting room it gave off lol
I take it that you don’t like the Islay type of scotch which is really peaty and has that campfire quality. I think that you either love it or hate it. I love it!

I take it that you don’t like the Islay type of scotch which is really peaty and has that campfire quality. I think that you either love it or hate it. I love it!
To be fair I'm not a big drinker, and I have never been partial to drinking any alcohol neat.

A few weeks ago i did try some Glenfiddich Project Xx no. 2 (bought a bottle for my dad) and was pleasantly surprised to find that I quite liked it and it was far smoother than I expected. Maybe I'll give this whisky thing a try lol

But to your point, it's Islay specifically that I can't stand. It's the iodine type smell that it gives off, it hits me really strongly lol.

To be fair I'm not a big drinker, and I have never been partial to drinking any alcohol neat.

A few weeks ago i did try some Glenfiddich Project Xx no. 2 (bought a bottle for my dad) and was pleasantly surprised to find that I quite liked it and it was far smoother than I expected. Maybe I'll give this whisky thing a try lol

But to your point, it's Islay specifically that I can't stand. It's the iodine type smell that it gives off, it hits me really strongly lol.
There’s a lot of people who don’t care for it. You’re not alone! Like I said, I guess it’s one of those flavor profiles that you really like or you hate

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom