Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (33 Viewers)

Rye not one more lol
4603C456-91EE-4539-83FC-3337084E6E7A.jpeg
This one has now been open a little over 2 months now. Those who said to have patience with this bottle were spot on! This has developed into a great pour.

View attachment 887379

Best caol ila I’ve had. But that isn’t saying much in all honesty. It’s good.

I think you might have a lot less misses than you imagine. Try to stick to the top DIBs, like Signatory, G&M, Cadenheads, Adelphi, etc. Also, try to get their Cask Strength offerings. I personally shy away from anything bottled at less than 46%. IBs are good not only for more Cask Strength versions of the OBs but also for different takes on what the distillery produces.

Funnily enough, I'm a big fan of Caol Ila, especially Indies, given its core range is very small (and very good imo, although low proof). If Diageo wanted, and not sure why they they don't do it, Caol Ila could have one of the top Core Ranges in Islay. They are already the largest. Almost all of it goes into the JW offerings, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I think you might have a lot less misses than you might imagine. Try to stick to the top DIBs, like Signatory, G&M, Cadenheads, Adelphi, etc. Also, try to get their Cask Strength offerings. I personally shy away from anything bottled at less than 46%. IBs are good not only for more Cash Strength versions of the OBs but also for different takes on what the distillery produces.

Funnily enough, I'm a big fan of Caol Ila, especially Indies, given its core range is very small (and very good imo, although low proof). If Diageo wanted, and not sure why they they don't do it, Caol Ila could have one of the top Core Ranges in Islay. They are already the largest. Almost all of it goes into the JW offerings, unfortunately.
Yeah, doing some research about IBs it looks like what is a good approach is find one that you like and go from there. Somewhat trying to go with what I know, like Caol Ila(which while I find to be good, I find the distillery to put out mainly pretty simple stuff, mainly I guess because they focus a lot on producing a consistent product for JW) which there are a fair number of IBs for that are accessible. Like try a Caol Ila Signatory, G&M, BB&R etc, figure out which IB I like and go from there.

I've also been picking up a few things from Bruichladdich as I've never not liked a bottle they've produced that I've sampled and I have some IBs in there, but pretty small ones.

I've got the GlenDronach batch 10 CS in my shopping cart right now but I've also got a GlenDronach 21 out for delivery and want to make sure I enjoy it before adding it to the collection(yes, I bought a 21 year old scotch blind without being overly familiar with the distillery).

I've always wanted to try JW Blue... Just can't bring myself to shell out the $230 for a bottle here in Virginia to see if I like it.
I first had a glass in Vegas, at an old, off-strip steakhouse (Golden Steer). The most memorable part of the night was having a big win that was exactly the same price of a glass of JW Blue. It was a sign.

Over the next 5-6 years I tracked every poker game with Mrs Zombie. I have finally won enough to pay for this bottle.

So it's easy to shell out the $230 - just make sure it's somebody else's $230.

...or look me up if you're ever in Nashville, I'll pour you a glass

I first had a glass in Vegas, at an old, off-strip steakhouse (Golden Steer). The most memorable part of the night was having a big win that was exactly the same price of a glass of JW Blue. It was a sign.

Over the next 5-6 years I tracked every poker game with Mrs Zombie. I have finally won enough to pay for this bottle.

So it's easy to shell out the $230 - just make sure it's somebody else's $230.

...or look me up if you're ever in Nashville, I'll pour you a glass
That place is a classic.

Well our family Spring Break trip got ended early by a forest fire. Got evacuated from our cabin Wednesday. I ended up sending the wife and kids down to Florida and got to take my time driving back to Michigan. Made a few stops and a few picks ups along the way. Weller definitely isn’t as easy to find in Ohio anymore. Think I have enough makers for awhile!
78C455AD-C775-4BA0-B466-738C6F1A87E7.jpeg
FDA58E2D-576B-44DD-831F-E74924789136.jpeg
3AED38AB-62EA-444C-B967-284E0B692A28.jpeg
EE88B569-9055-4AE3-BEE6-EBEAA347E9B5.jpeg

Well our family Spring Break trip got ended early by a forest fire. Got evacuated from our cabin Wednesday. I ended up sending the wife and kids down to Florida and got to take my time driving back to Michigan. Made a few stops and a few picks ups along the way. Weller definitely isn’t as easy to find in Ohio anymore. Think I have enough makers for awhile!
View attachment 888534View attachment 888535View attachment 888538View attachment 888537
every place along the way did a makers BP looks like.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom