Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (53 Viewers)

Yes!!

20220327_130458.jpg

300 in the Chicago area. Acquired one via trade and 3 via secondary.

Felt it was worth it since this is the last batch of Stagg Jr to be produced and the secondary has increased over the past couple months and will probably continue to increase.
Smart. Yeah I’d say it’s worth that for sure. Nice scores!

Lemme clarify, if you’re buying these as an investment, I’d say it’ll surly go up in value. Personally I wouldn’t spend over $150 for a stagg jr to drink.
I agree 100% -- I've got some earlier batches stashed I keep thinking about potentially opening, but can't bring myself to with how insane secondary is. Just wish I had a time machine... I would've bought a lot more if I ever thought the brown water could be viewed as an "investment".

I've never sold anything secondary, and have always been largely against the idea. Always planned on drinking the bottles I have at some point, and even given some away to friends as gifts. However, with the way secondary is going it's become increasingly hard to open "allocated"/hard to find bottles for me. There is too much stuff I enjoy under $60 and I've been fortunate enough to drink a lot of those bottles before things went nuts. It's hard for me to really enjoy a bottle that is north of $150 minus a handful of exceptions. I might also just be cheap. Certainly don't think I'll be selling off any of my whiskey collection anytime soon, but the thought is certainly more and more tempting. Surely I'm not alone here right?

Who knows maybe slimming down my whiskey stash is how I can fund more chipping? Seems that maybe the only way I put together a large set of Paulsons anytime soon. Hell, I'm sure there are plenty of PCF vetrans that feel the same way about chip prices.

^^^ I hear you on that. I’ve never sold at secondary either. I have a few bottles of single malt scotch and Japanese whiskey that have soared in value (like 8-10x and up) and that has given me pause…but I will eventually open them. TBH, I’ve never really considered what the bottle is “worth” on the secondary. I say, unless you need the money—and I mean really need it—enjoy the bottles you have.

If I buy it, I’m sure as hell drinking it. Probably the biggest reason the manager of my local ABC store will set allocated/harder to find bottles aside for me is because he knows with 100% certainty that I’ll either drink them or gift them to friends. It also doesn’t hurt that he has an open invitation to any of my cash games and I bring him samples of the few bottles that I find that he doesn’t get.

If I buy it, I’m sure as hell drinking it. Probably the biggest reason the manager of my local ABC store will set allocated/harder to find bottles aside for me is because he knows with 100% certainty that I’ll either drink them or gift them to friends. It also doesn’t hurt that he has an open invitation to any of my cash games and I bring him samples of the few bottles that I find that he doesn’t get.
Similar practice for me has certainly helped me get quite a few bottles too and I agree 100% I should note, I’m in no way advocating flipping bottles or saying I’m going to sell off any of mine just that it’s gotten to the point I understand how someone would.

It’s certainly slowed down my roll of opening any bottle anytime though. That might also just be because I have 60-70ish bottles open. It’s made me wanna save a lot of “good” bottles for special occasions instead of pours for anytime.

The only way I could ever see myself potentially parting ways with a bottle, might be trading for chips since i keep getting pulled further down the wormhole. Even that’s probably not likely though, and that’d only be for something I had a duplicate of and to give the chance to enjoy that to someone else here.

Same. My local shops know I hunt trophies, but I drink those trophies. Oh, yeah…I also often open those trophies at the shop and pour a sample for the proprietor.

I haven't sold any of my bottles on the secondary but have bought some on the secondary or acquired via trade. I had the opportunity to flip a bottle of Pappy 15 for a lot but chose to hold onto it as a back up. Not a huge fan of selling on the secondary.

I’m in the PNW and can’t find Weller anywhere. Where the heck are you digging these up?
I found a case of Single Barrel in Kennewick about 3 months ago below secondary. Not sure if the liquor store has 2021 in stock now (The case was 2020).

I'd consider selling secondary, only because I buy more than I drink. Way more. But I doubt I'd do it at full markup. Something between what I paid and what the market is at, and probably only to a friend or forum acquaintance. I was looking at prices for my unopened bottles on Friday, and there is nothing super noteworthy. I do have a 2020-03 Donohoe's Batch of Booker's that people seem to be into, and of course my EHT Single Barrel would always fetch a premium. If I never opened my Russell's 13 that would have been something, but I was thirsty. And it's freaking delicious.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom