Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (41 Viewers)

I might be able to get a #3 for $200, but I would have to drive for 8 hours round trip....

edit - just texted a friend that may be able to scoop one up with an hour drive round trip. Fingers crossed
Out of 2, 3 and 4 I like 3 the best. Hard to justify the price, but damn good!

@Irish how does that peerless stand up to the other ryes?
Would buy again at $60-70ish, not much over that. Face off vs Willett was a little "off" as they're really two very different flavor profiles, the Peerless is much lighter, a little more on the grassy and cleaner side. Good but not nearly as complex or rich as say the Alberta Premium.

Would buy again at $60-70ish, not much over that. Face off vs Willett was a little "off" as they're really two very different flavor profiles, the Peerless is much lighter, a little more on the grassy and cleaner side. Good but not nearly as complex or rich as say the Alberta Premium.
I've gotten spoiled with AP, but it sounds like something worth a try at the very least
I'd put sagamore rye cask strength in the mix too (~$65) after revisiting that one - medium-ish finish but it's hitting pretty nice right now.
Happy Fryeday, Gents

sagamore rye.jpeg

Brown-Forman signature. You don’t get banana on any of the Old Foresters?
None. Not even a hint. At least 1920 anyways. Haven’t had the others enough to know.

But when I took a sip it’s like I had an epiphany... THERE’S what everyone is talking about. Literally froze me up for a split second how much it tasted like banana haha

Went out for a drive with the family, saw a liquor store and thought I’d check for Blue Spot...came home with an unexpected 2017 Four Roses Limited Edition for not too much of a markup over retail.

View attachment 670111
Great score! Can you ask if they also have a 2015 still on the shelf?

Great score! Can you ask if they also have a 2015 still on the shelf?
It was the orphan on a shelf that used to also have the 2020 4RLE and a few BTACs (all at full secondary prices). I think the proprietor cut me a deal since it had been languishing for a couple years, for some reason.

View attachment 670248
Holy cow that's strong. I had to put a couple cubes in to tame the burn. There's some flavor under it though.

You’ll get used to the higher proof the more you drink it. I’ve been drinking higher proofs neat for a while now and there’s no going back. Had eagle rare the other day, it was like legit water to me lol.

You’ll get used to the higher proof the more you drink it. I’ve been drinking higher proofs neat for a while now and there’s no going back. Had eagle rare the other day, it was like legit water to me lol.
Been looking for a bottle of Eagle Rare since I opened my first one a couple months or so ago. It is certainly rare around these parts.

Been looking for a bottle of Eagle Rare since I opened my first one a couple months or so ago. It is certainly rare around these parts.

Don’t overpay, you’ll find plenty with some patience. I went a while without seeing any but it’s been popping up more frequently lately.

Just wadded up my "open bottle" list and threw it away. Screw the rules! I also suddenly have 7 bottles of rye open......huh, when did that happen?!

Anyway, I tasted a Woodford Reserve Very Fine Rare Bourbon because it had been open for a few weeks and I was curious. I thought it fell flat on its face and immediately went to the store to buy a regular $39 Woodford Reserve (For the Kentucky Derby/mint juleps). Even the neck pour was better than the $130 VFRB, lol

Anyway, then it dawned on me that I might be waiting a long time for whiskey that may not be that good or I just need to try sooner rather than later. SO I started opening bottles to start the "opening up" process. Opened today:

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve
Henry McKenna 10 Year BiB (barrel 9674)
1792 Full Proof
Jack Daniels Barrel Proof
Makers Mark 46 Cask Strength

Still waiting on my BTAC until my student debt is gone, then I'll have at em

Just wadded up my "open bottle" list and threw it away. Screw the rules! I also suddenly have 7 bottles of rye open......huh, when did that happen?!

Anyway, I tasted a Woodford Reserve Very Fine Rare Bourbon because it had been open for a few weeks and I was curious. I thought it fell flat on its face and immediately went to the store to buy a regular $39 Woodford Reserve (For the Kentucky Derby/mint juleps). Even the neck pour was better than the $130 VFRB, lol

Anyway, then it dawned on me that I might be waiting a long time for whiskey that may not be that good or I just need to try sooner rather than later. SO I started opening bottles to start the "opening up" process. Opened today:

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve
Henry McKenna 10 Year BiB (barrel 9674)
1792 Full Proof
Jack Daniels Barrel Proof
Makers Mark 46 Cask Strength

Still waiting on my BTAC until my student debt is gone, then I'll have at em
Yeah, the Woodford was just OK. Nice bottle though. I'm hoping to trade my extra bottle some time in the future.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom