Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (28 Viewers)

Agreed on the finish. It’s tasty, and enjoyable, but side-by-side the MWND is superior.
It is rye like MWND, Alberta's Cask, and Peerless Small Batch, that are changing the way I think about drinking rye whiskey. I think I am just a fan of the finest spirits available. I just really love great whiskey. I am trying to lock myself in the basement when it comes to diving into scotch........I know I will eventually travel that road, but it will have to wait for now. I have only had Oban and Chivas in the past, but my tastes have definitely changed since then. Time will tell.

It is rye like MWND, Alberta's Cask, and Peerless Small Batch, that are changing the way I think about drinking rye whiskey. I think I am just a fan of the finest spirits available. I just really love great whiskey. I am trying to lock myself in the basement when it comes to diving into scotch........I know I will eventually travel that road, but it will have to wait for now. I have only had Oban and Chivas in the past, but my tastes have definitely changed since then. Time will tell.
Try glendronach 12. It’s a great sweet scotch that I find has some similarities so bourbons sweetness. But it’s more oily and delicious. It’s a great starter into scotch

I’m enjoying bourbon and rye (especially rye), but I still don’t think they hold a candle to single malt scotch, except maybe at the very highest levels, like certain BTACs.

And TBH, the prices I’m paying for bourbons and ryes are just nuts compared to the cost of quality scotches, even in the current high tariff environment.

I’m enjoying bourbon and rye (especially rye), but I still don’t think they hold a candle to single malt scotch, except maybe at the very highest levels, like certain BTACs.

And TBH, the prices I’m paying for bourbons and ryes are just nuts compared to the cost of quality scotches, even in the current high tariff environment.
This x10000.

Did a quick budget Irish whiskey flight tonight. All were pretty different, it was a fun flight.

20210220_202143.jpg

In order from worst to best:

Proper Twelve was kinda meh, on the harsh side. Wouldn't recommend.

Dead rabbit was much better, very different - had some sweeter and almost fruity notes to it.

Tullamore Dew, a staple in my cabinet, very smooth and buttery for the price.

Slane was surprisingly good, I would call this one the bourbon drinker's Irish whiskey. Lots of toasted oak on the initial palate, then the smoother clean irish finish kicks in. Very good!

Did a quick budget Irish whiskey flight tonight. All were pretty different, it was a fun flight.

View attachment 640826

In order from worst to best:

Proper Twelve was kinda meh, on the harsh side. Wouldn't recommend.

Dead rabbit was much better, very different - had some sweeter and almost fruity notes to it.

Tullamore Dew, a staple in my cabinet, very smooth and buttery for the price.

Slane was surprisingly good, I would call this one the bourbon drinker's Irish whiskey. Lots of toasted oak on the initial palate, then the smoother clean irish finish kicks in. Very good!
Nice work. I use Proper Twelve when cocktails call for Irish whiskey. And Slane is excellent for the price.

So to compare I opened the Russel's single barrel. Higher proof which masks the greater complexity. Both are great bourbons!
So in the $25-65 price range, now that you have had Eagle Rare at the low end and Russel's SB at the high end, pretty much 80-90% of the other bourbons in that price range will be disappointing.

I just heard from a liquor store owner on facebook that High West is taking Rendezvous Rye out of circulation and making it distillery only and Utah exclusive.

Get some while you can? I've not found any other verification of that information. Yet.

So in the $25-65 price range, now that you have had Eagle Rare at the low end and Russel's SB at the high end, pretty much 80-90% of the other bourbons in that price range will be disappointing.
Not gonna lie, Eagle Rare is the undeniable best value in bourbon. I still like Angel's Envy as a neat sipper but that's how I drank the Eagle and Russell's last night and they didn't disappoint.

Speaking of trade, I have an extra bottle of the Redwood Empire Haystack Needle finished in port barrels. That's a gorgeous 12 year old finished MGP. Would love to trade that for the same Haystack Needle but finished in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. Long shot but drop me a line if you have the CabSav.

* not my picture btw.

1613934813799.png

Last edited:
This is delicious. Killing my #2 craft bottle... (C)

20210221_204130.jpg

not like tonight man, I am not crazy. But this is one that needs to go down according to my new and improved open bottle list which has expanded to 20 open bottles plus my Infinity. 21 forever or whatever,

OPEN BOTTLES -- Loose Rules
1. A HITTER (Pappy, GTS, WLW, ER17, 4 Roses LE, Stagg Jr) (B1)
2. Weller SR or 107 or any other Weller (B2)
3. EHT Small Batch or any other EHT (B3)
4. 1792 (BiB, or small batch, or FP, or 12 year) (B4)
5. Old Forester (Statesman or 1897 or 1920) (B5)
6. A high end Beam product like Booker’s (Be1)
7. A 2nd Beam product....Knob Creek (SB or 12) (Be2)
8. Noah's Mill or something similar/unique/craft (C)
9. A Hitter Rye (to sip, like Alberta, MWND etc) (R1)
10. Another sippin' Rye (R2)
11. A rye (to mix or sip - rye is the star, ie. Old fashioned) (R3)
12. A rye (to mix - rye is not the star…like with coke) (R4)
13. MGP (MGP1)
14. MGP (MGP2)
15. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof or Larceny BP (BP1)
16. Barrel Proof (BP2)
17. Barrel Proof (BP3)
18. Finished Whiskey (FW1)
19. Finished Whiskey (FW2)
20. Whateva' teh f*ck I Want Wheneva' teh f*ck i want

Since I’m still living in my city high-rise and haven’t lived in my main home in almost a year (the pandemic makes my relatively remote and rural area super difficult to get delivery type services in), I’ve put together temporary bar and have been slowing bringing in bottles to fill it up.

Not an ideal situation, but can at least host some tastings now.

0FE10663-FF20-4BE5-8996-52AD7FD1D009.jpeg

This is delicious. Killing my #2 craft bottle... (C)

View attachment 641443

not like tonight man, I am not crazy. But this is one that needs to go down according to my new and improved open bottle list which has expanded to 20 open bottles plus my Infinity. 21 forever or whatever,

OPEN BOTTLES -- Loose Rules
1. A HITTER (Pappy, GTS, WLW, ER17, 4 Roses LE, Stagg Jr) (B1)
2. Weller SR or 107 or any other Weller (B2)
3. EHT Small Batch or any other EHT (B3)
4. 1792 (BiB, or small batch, or FP, or 12 year) (B4)
5. Old Forester (Statesman or 1897 or 1920) (B5)
6. A high end Beam product like Booker’s (Be1)
7. A 2nd Beam product....Knob Creek (SB or 12) (Be2)
8. Noah's Mill or something similar/unique/craft (C)
9. A Hitter Rye (to sip, like Alberta, MWND etc) (R1)
10. Another sippin' Rye (R2)
11. A rye (to mix or sip - rye is the star, ie. Old fashioned) (R3)
12. A rye (to mix - rye is not the star…like with coke) (R4)
13. MGP (MGP1)
14. MGP (MGP2)
15. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof or Larceny BP (BP1)
16. Barrel Proof (BP2)
17. Barrel Proof (BP3)
18. Finished Whiskey (FW1)
19. Finished Whiskey (FW2)
20. Whateva' teh f*ck I Want Wheneva' teh f*ck i want
Rowan's Creek is Willett and I love everything Willett. Old Bardstown Estate is one of my favorites.

Oops?

I mistakenly bought Wild Turkey 101 Straight Bourbon yesterday (was supposed to grab the rye for some cocktails).

View attachment 641652

Any opinions on it? What’s the best way to drink it?

I have a soft spot for Wild Turkey 101 - t'was the first bottle I borrowed from my dad's liquor cabinet many many moons ago. :D IMHO it's good for sipping on the rocks (especially if you like barrel strength bourbons) and also for manhattans & old fashions.

Since I’m still living in my city high-rise and haven’t lived in my main home in almost a year (the pandemic makes my relatively remote and rural area super difficult to get delivery type services in), I’ve put together temporary bar and have been slowing bringing in bottles to fill it up.

View attachment 641498
That top row reminds me of that grail family chip picture you posted. That’s some epic bourbon and rye!

View attachment 641498

They say that HH27 is over oaked. I can take it off your hands for you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom